Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview for Electrical Apprenticeship

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

DeccyJ wrote: »
    And I don't know if people have noticed the introduction of these so-called "electricians' helpers" on site recently?

Disgraceful means of getting some unfortunate soul who doesn't know any better to do the job of an apprentice with no future or formal training for him/her. And the union doesn't seem to be doing the slightest thing about it. I've seen it advertised on FÁS's website, the cheek! And how many apprentices are out of work? It beggars belief.
    Wasn't that one of the reasons electricians went on strike in 2009? The employers were trying to bring in these helpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

And I don't know if people have noticed the introduction of these so-called "electricians' helpers" on site recently?

Disgraceful means of getting some unfortunate soul who doesn't know any better to do the job of an apprentice with no future or formal training for him/her. And the union doesn't seem to be doing the slightest thing about it. I've seen it advertised on FÁS's website, the cheek! And how many apprentices are out of work? It beggars belief.

not trying to say they shouldnt hire apprentices but in a way hiring helpers is still better than taking on a apprentice paying them first year rate then laying them off when things get slack because in nearly every other trade they have helpers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

not trying to say they shouldnt hire apprentices but in a way hiring helpers is still better than taking on a apprentice paying them first year rate then laying them off when things get slack because in nearly every other trade they have helpers.

That is a very short sighted view in my opinion.

At least a first year apprentice that is let go has officially received some electrical training and is closer to earning second year apprentice rate.

Until I saw it in this thread I had not heard of any "electrical helpers" being employed in Ireland. This is not good for the industry IMHO. The danger is that they may be used instead of electricians rather than just to assist electricians. A race to the bottom, lower pay rates and lower standards.

I have heard of "electricians mates" in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The Union have probably agreed to it.There's a new REA in the offing,agreed between the TEEU and the ECA so it might be part of that.The REA is unlikely to come in without a fight from the other employers body's though.

2011 wrote: »
    That is a very short sighted view in my opinion.

At least a first year apprentice that is let go has officially received some electrical training and is closer to earning second year apprentice rate.

Until I saw it in this thread I had not heard of any "electrical helpers" being employed in Ireland. This is not good for the industry IMHO. The danger is that they may be used instead of electricians rather than just to assist electricians. A race to the bottom, lower pay rates and lower standards.

I have heard of "electricians mates" in the UK.

I personally think an apprentice should be taken on but I've seen it to much that an apprentice is taken on for one year only then let go, but few company's will hire a 2nd year. they'll take a first year instead for cheaper rate to pull cables and learn noting.

I strongly agree with keeping the electrician mates away from electrical work as we all know a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

Hi asking for my brother. Is it worth getting into sparks now as i know a lot of people doing and going to be a lot if competition compared to few years ago. He has an interview with a big company can't say who. Would they have to track alot even when gets qualified?

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Phillip k wrote: »
    Would they have to track alot even when gets qualified?

Sorry, no idea what you mean by this statement. Do you mean s there much travel?

Electrical is the best trade in my opinion. Plenty of work at the moment and for the foreseeable.

Hi asking for my brother. Is it worth getting into sparks now as i know a lot of people doing and going to be a lot if competition compared to few years ago. He has an interview with a big company can't say who. Would they have to track alot even when gets qualified?

Thanks in advance

IMO there is a major shortage of electricians in all industries. Most electricians I know are out of the trade now or in canada because of the downturn. Some gone in to operator positions in factory's or back to college.

It would be an excellent trade to get into now but depends a lot on the company that trains you. Some apprentices come out there time only able to pull cables and bend conduit. But that's mainly in industrial building jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DeccyJ

Thanks in advance

I'm pretty sure that we don't/won't have enough electricians so I'd say it's a safe bet for the medium-term at least. The recession proved that it's vulnerable to construction shocks but it's still a great trade to have for going on to do other things, more so probably than the others.

Has your brother considered Electrical/Instrumentation? I'm a qualified spark (working as an engineer now, went back to college in the recession) and if I had my time again that's what I would have done.

Whether he ends up travelling or not is always going to be a gamble, especially with the bigger companies. But I traveled (Finland, Netherlands, Belgium) and it was the best thing I ever did - Living in a cosmopolitan European city, gaining great experience, and money coming in faster than I could spend it. What's not to love?

One of my colleagues always used to say, 'You take the rough with the smooth.' Never a truer word said. You'll see plenty of both in terms of people and work, and it's a good foundation for life in many ways. If your brother is 18 or so I think he couldn't go wrong, but again, check if he'd have any interest in Electrical/Instrumentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Ditto re the E&I it'd be my preference if i'd to go back

However while where anyone serves their time can be important

In my opinion its more important with E&I

I've worked alongside companies with apprentices that do nothing but calibration of instruments - and a limited range of instruments at that

Definitely wont go wrong with Electrical trade - there's courses to expand to E&I after if he wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Resurrecting a zombie thread here but It's most relevant to what I'm enquiring about.

Have two interviews next week for an Electrical Instrument. One for a large electrical contractor and another reporting to the maintenance manager in a Pharmaceutical plant.

Would people still agree that the time would be better served with the latter?

Thanks

Advertisement