Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little help please

Options
  • 30-08-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭

I have a small plot of land in the country, myself and my wife have been thinking lately about renting out our house (mortgaged) and moving into a mobile home on this land.

I was just wondering if anybody here has experience of doing this or something similar, and if they could tell me if its a good idea or just bonkers.

We have a 3 year time scale in mind, just enough time to clear or loans and start saving again. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

fedor.2. wrote: »
    I have a small plot of land in the country, myself and my wife have been thinking lately about renting out our house (mortgaged) and moving into a mobile home on this land.

I was just wondering if anybody here has experience of doing this or something similar, and if they could tell me if its a good idea or just bonkers.

We have a 3 year time scale in mind, just enough time to clear or loans and start saving again. Thanks.

It's a nice idea & if the bills are very high not a bad one ; but 3 Years is a long time to live & share in a caravan. :0

I'd do a real scrutiny on the real costs.

Do you already have a mobile home or will you have to buy one?

How frugally can you Live in the house? Gas/LX / food. Have you done a forensic audit of your incomings & outgoings ; maybe there is actually a couple of hundred you can free up by being more frugal.

There is also foreign language students & the room to tent scheme where you can earn X amount tax-free renting a room
    In your primary residence if you still live there too. Not sure where you 're based but this might be a cash injection to look at.

I would consider the costs if renting out : I've rented my house a few times but if damage is done & it's your home you will end up spending money to fix it ; even an accident of an iorn left face down too long on a table :( or someone cutting cheese on a counter top & damaging it will probably mean long term you will have to spend a couple of hundred at best " fixing " things back ; and that's if you have good remnants who don't scarlet leaving you with bills :0

Have you thought about the costs
    Of the commute & extra petrol from the mobile home to work? This could be a big cost & a bit of a bite into your budget/savings idea.
    Also the cost of petrol in a rural area to buy gas for the mobile home, water, suppers etc. As well as the cost of bottled gas.

I lived in a houseboat for a while & am still getting over the COLD. Like a caravan they're not very well insulated & warm up & freeze down very quickly ... The costs can be higher than you imagine.

There's my tuppence worth! Sounds like an interesting idea!

Best of luck with working it out!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

fedor.2. wrote: »

I would be checking out the situation regarding planning permission before doing anything. This could be a non-starter.

I'd also suggest working out the profits if any from renting your current house, including voids, tax, NPPR etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

rent a room ,as long as rent is less than ten k ,eg 9900euro its tax free ,
    if you are living there ,in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

How many bedrooms do you have? Where are you broadly located? Country/near town?

How about rent a room to someone for a year.
    Plus also take in short term students. You can get adult students who don't need too much "management".

Have you anything you can sell?? eBay? Car boot sales?

Any chance of picking up extra work? Or a second job?

Can you cut any costs? - cancel sky, cancel gym etc

Any other options before moving to mobile...?

Good luck friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

We lived in a mobile on site while building our house. At first it was grand but during the winter it was very cold. No matter how well insulated unless you have the heat on 24/7 it gets cold very quickly. So you arrive in and it's freezing. You wake up in the morning and it's freezing. Also even though it was fully stabilised when there was strong winds it used to sway a bit:eek:.

Our initial build time was 7-8 months but it ended up being 15 months. Never ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Building a shed on the land, with the ground floor a foot of the land, with a small kitchen dining room area, and a bedroom would be a better idea if you intend to live there for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

the_syco wrote: »
    Building a shed on the land, with the ground floor a foot of the land, with a small kitchen dining room area, and a bedroom would be a better idea if you intend to live there for 3 years.

O God!!! Don't call it a shed.. It's too depressing :( call it a log cabin or Eco-house & make it sound like an adventure!

O God!!! Don't call it a shed.. It's too depressing :( call it a log cabin or Eco-house & make it sound like an adventure!
    A house may not get planning permission, but a shed with windows should :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭markas

Apart from inconviniencies, would it be legal? A permament residence in a mobile home?
    Log house sounds grand, but this is more like a permament structure for habitation.

I think it would be definately better to rent out a room (or more if you have enough space, or even extend your current 'residence' into shed/log cabin) - especially for colder months! Or renting an existing 'holiday house' in more remote location and for much less than your place.

A house may not get planning permission, but a shed with windows should :pac:

Except that one cannot live there, and/or use gas/electricity.. not only for legal reason but for sake of own safety. One thing is a night or two another winter months without light, heat.. etc. Not mentioning the internet.... ;)
    Thats why a mobile home is much better - at least it is safe to use. Smallish and cold, but safer.

• Advertisement

markas wrote: »
    Thats why a mobile home is much better - at least it is safe to use. Smallish and cold, but safer.
    Hrm, well, apply for PP for a gaff, then :P My above bit was a mobile home sized gaff built of bricks and mortar; but a bit better insulated.

Hrm, well, apply for PP for a gaff, then :P My above bit was a mobile home sized gaff built of bricks and mortar; but a bit better insulated.

a gaff? what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Gaff is dublin slang for home, residence where you live,example
    come over to my gaff for a few cans, eg drinks.
    look at grand designs ,c4 program,
    people live in a mobile home for 1 year while house is being built.
    They seem to survive ok,
    i had friend ,bought solar panels, maplins,
    produced enough power for netbook,and lights, or i suppose you can buy
    a small diesel generator ,and cook from a gas cooker,using gas cylinder.

riclad wrote: »
    Gaff is dublin slang for home, residence where you live,example
    I used the word gaff, as opposed to a house, as the small place I described wouldn't be much of a house.

Have you thought of renting a double room? €550 a month for 3 years would be just shy of €20k - the same you'd spend on a decent mobile home. It'd also be safer, less likely to be burgled, and give you a better standard of living.

Advertisement