Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching LC English for the first time. Help!

• 30-08-2012 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm an NQT and delighted that I got some maternity leave cover.

I've never taught Leaving Cert before and to be honest the Dip was rubbish at covering that side of things.

Just wondering how to approach some poetry revision with ordinary level 6th years? The textbook is fine but a tad boring...

Should I just do past papers at this stage?
    How must detail should they know for Ordinary Level?
    Should I get them to analyze sample answers and break them down so they know what is expected of them?

God, feel a bit clueless, sorry!

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Download a marking scheme to see what detail you need in order to get marks. As for the rest of it...I'm a Maths teacher! Wouldn't have a scooby about poems

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RachEnnis

I'm a student, so just a few tips on what I thought went well with my teacher. We would read the poems, pick out the theme, language and images in it. She would make us write a summary of events in it, so we knew exactly what happened, and a few quotes for each poem. We looked at the marking schemes, and past exam papers, and would all brainstorm a question together, and then as a test, write out our answer! That was for HL, and I got an A, but I'm not sure how much different OL is, but they might help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

What kind of a group are they? Ordinary LC English can have a really varied range. When you say revision, have they got all the poems covered already?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

I'm just getting to know them but they range from fairly OK to weak. Some are non English speakers and a lot of dyslexics. I think motivation is the main hurdle.

I'll go over some of the ones they have done but there's about 4/5 they still need covered.

I'm just looking for methods of getting them writing and engaged ( if that's possible).

Heydeldel wrote: »
    I'm just getting to know them but they range from fairly OK to weak. Some are non English speakers and a lot of dyslexics. I think motivation is the main hurdle.

I'll go over some of the ones they have done but there's about 4/5 they still need covered.

I'm just looking for methods of getting them writing and engaged ( if that's possible).

I think pacing is a big thing with OL. I do small writing exercises - brainstoming etc. and then back again a few times in lessons with my Ord 6th years. Although if it's revision you're best to stick to exam questions. I think they'd be more engaged with a new poem, to be honest. For instance, I've been doing 'Do Not Go Gentle...' with my 6th years for the last two days. I introduced them imperatives and they had to come up with examples of the kinds of people who would use a lot of them. They came up with teachers, judges, parents etc. Then they had to write down three examples of imperatives they would use - 'Don't touch my books' etc. The I asked what kind of a mood you would have to be in to use a lot of imperatives and after examing their own work they realised angry, frustrated etc. Then I showed them a picture of an old man and they had to write down 5-7 words that came into their heads. They're only tiny writing exercises, but the change of pace between brainstorming/paired and feedback really workd with them.

Today I put on the youtube recording of Thomas' own reading. They figured out that the 't' was harsh, spitting and repetitive. They then had to say the 't' sound themselves a few times. They figured this echoed a 'tutting' sound, again denoting the anger and frustration of the imperatives. By the end of class they were absolutely delighted when I pointed out that they figured out themselves that the speaker is pleading, angry and frustrated without having yet analysed the meaning or narrative.

So, I think little bite sized writing exercises, well paced would work well. A few round of that and they'll have a full page by the end of the lesson. I've not used the book yet - hate the things. They can read the notes at the weekend for homework.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil for that! Very helpful. I just didn't know where to start with them.:eek:

I duno why I'm so brain dead this week!:o

Pacing is something I def need to work on, I think I might have been going too fast.

Great suggestions there, Ill put some of them to use tomorrow.

Cheers, you're given me a nice bit o direction. :D

No bother - hope today went well. I know how you feel. I had quite a bit of JC and TEFL experience before my dip, but having finished it in June 2011 I was thrown into a group of HL 6th years last September. It was quite daunting for me initially. If I can be of any help at any other stage just shout :)

That worked much better with them. It's taking me a while to get into my stride. I've been a bit boring with them and it's only this week that I've started thinking more creatively.

I think I just panicked and thought 'feic! throw exam q's at them or they'll think I haven't a clue'.

Anyway getting in the swing of things now. I might be fun to start a thread about teaching methodologies and swap ideas about teaching various parts of the course. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

I always tell student teachers that English is 55% unseen work. It is skill rather than learned materials. As you teach them do not let the writing skills go. Remember that the essay is worth just 10 % less than the poetry and single text combined. Get the writing going by practising writing all the time.

Heydeldel wrote: »
    That worked much better with them. It's taking me a while to get into my stride. I've been a bit boring with them and it's only this week that I've started thinking more creatively.

I think I just panicked and thought 'feic! throw exam q's at them or they'll think I haven't a clue'.

Anyway getting in the swing of things now. I might be fun to start a thread about teaching methodologies and swap ideas about teaching various parts of the course. ?

Great idea, Heydeldel!

• Advertisement

allprops wrote: »
    I always tell student teachers that English is 55% unseen work. It is skill rather than learned materials. As you teach them do not let the writing skills go. Remember that the essay is worth just 10 % less than the poetry and single text combined. Get the writing going by practising writing all the time.

Indeed! I certainly wasn't suggesting she focus on content and brainstorming in lieu of writing skills.

Of course writing skills are what has to developed but, I was just looking for ways of making class more interesting rather than writing notes or constant exam questions.

By brainstorming and bringing in visuals and audio it can help with words associations and engage the students. It also engages more senses than just sight which for the dyslexic has to help.

Every time they write is a chance to improve, it's just motivating them to write and breaking up the tedium of the classroom is what I'm after.

I think I will start a thread about teaching methodologies.

Advertisement