Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom cable damage during garden dig

• 30-08-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭

Finally got around to getting a digger out to do something with the wildlife that was my garden, but mysteriously my phone line now seems to be dead.

I suspect that the guy with the digger cut a cable that must have been coming up from the road.

What are my options? How much are Eircom likely to charge? Is there any other option, i.e. 3rd party repair? I wouldn't have thought it's that massive a job, but I'm guessing. Cost is a worry!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you can fix it yourself. You may be as well digging it all up and putting downa wavin pipe with a new cable in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    you can fix it yourself. You may be as well digging it all up and putting downa wavin pipe with a new cable in it.

I'm not the worst DIYer but not the best either. Don't even know where the cables are I'm just assuming that the digger caused the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Don't even know where the cables are I'm just assuming that the digger caused the damage.

That's the biggest part of your problem :eek: It's hard to repair a break if you don't know where it is? If your cable is underground it would normally travel from a manhole on the footpath outside the front of your house & surface through conduit just inside your front door on the floor in the hallway.
    Finally got around to getting a digger out to do something with the wildlife that was my garden

I'm assuming that you are referring to your front garden and that the work is now complete?

If that's the case? the easiest fix (if indeed the cable is damaged) would be for eircom to disconnect your cable at the manhole end & fish a new one through to your hall, no big deal there it would be a quick easy fix provided of course that the conduit underground is not crushed :eek:

Your best bet especially if you rely on your phone line for Broadband would be to report the fault to eircom & let them tell you that it might have been cause by the works & take it from there. If the digger driver was hired for payment (ie. not a friend) he might have a part to play in correcting this problem too?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Don't even know where the cables are I'm just assuming that the digger caused the damage.

That's the biggest part of your problem :eek: It's hard to repair a break if you don't know where it is? If your cable is underground it would normally travel from a manhole on the footpath outside the front of your house & surface through conduit just inside your front door on the floor in the hallway.
    Finally got around to getting a digger out to do something with the wildlife that was my garden

I'm assuming that you are referring to your front garden and that the work is now complete?

If that's the case? the easiest fix (if indeed the cable is damaged) would be for eircom to disconnect your cable at the manhole end & fish a new one through to your hall, no big deal there it would be a quick easy fix provided of course that the conduit underground is not crushed :eek:

Your best bet especially if you rely on your phone line for Broadband would be to report the fault to eircom & let them tell you that it might have been cause by the works & take it from there. If the digger driver was hired for payment (ie. not a friend) he might have a part to play in correcting this problem too?

There is a wee box at the side of my front door where the cable enters the house. It goes from there down the wall to a socket in the hall. Where the cable comes from to reach that point beside the door is unknown. The front of the house has concrete from the door to the garden (about 10 feet) and then the garden stretches about 25 feet to the wall and then the road.

The work is pretty much done, should be finished today.

Work was done by a friend so it's my own responsibility I'm afraid.

Advertisement