Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Transition Year Biology for the first time, HELP!

• 30-08-2012 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello all,

I am teaching TY Biology very soon and I have never done it before, does anybody have any ideas/books/websites etc that would help preparing material for the classes?

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Profe wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am teaching TY Biology very soon and I have never done it before, does anybody have any ideas/books/websites etc that would help preparing material for the classes?

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

I'm teaching TY Biology (two groups) this year & can make my own module.

You should see this as an opportunity to cover topics you really like pushing beyond the constraints of the JC or LC syllabus.

They aren't all going to take LC Bio so even if you do cover some LC material, it's fine.

Project work is a great way of assessing TY work aswell.
    Give them a range of topics & they research it themselves.

I'll be doing sections in DNA/Forensics, Nutrition & doing a bit on photosynthesis & respiration as these topics are always difficult in senior cycle.

If I have time I might do a dissection of two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Profe

Thanks a lot!!

What kind of ideas for projects do you have/what has worked for you? I will only have them for about 12 weeks and then I will do the same with 2 other TY groups, so timewise I dont know what is feasible for them to do...do they work at home or in the class in the project? could you explain a bit more how you do it?

Thanks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭starfish90

Do some ecology with them too-you can bring them outside or, if you have permission, bring them on a field trip. It's a really interesting topic and it gives them good insights into some of the LC biology course.

Advertisement