Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Internet - Door to door

Options
  • 30-08-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

For the third time in the past month a UTV salesman has called to my mother's door trying to get her to switch to UTV. So I received the inevitable call from her asking me why she should/shouldn't change.

I told her not to. My reasoning was that when I was living at home we used UTV. We constantly had issues and their customer service was, frankly, disgraceful. No help whatsoever and constantly blaming Eircom. That was about 2006/7-ish.

My mother switched to Vodafone (then BT) and has been using them since.

My question is; am I wrong to still hold this opinion of UTV? Am I right to hold past experience against them when they are in fact offering a clearly better service (on paper) for a cheaper price?

I've read a few things on here, mostly negative, about them. But is anyone able to give me some form of comfort that UTV have changed for the better?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What sort of deal had that they'd be better than Vodafone?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I was with UTV internet for 3 years, Never had a problem with them

then one day the modem died, so i thought to myself "3 years isnt bad" and bought a new one.
    (had the new one set up fine, and thought nothing of it)
    line then died a few weeks later.
    Called up utv, they insisted the line was fine. Waited 48 hours, called again, guy on the phone then said "oh your not using our equiptment? thats why the line is at fault (wtf?!)

UTV kept insiting the problem was cause i was using my own router/modem

Eventually, called up Eircom, and they switched me over in a mater of days!

Unless their support is much better then before, i'd avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭peejay1986

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What sort of deal had that they'd be better than Vodafone?

They were selling her one of the 'up to 24mb' package with Talk Anytime at €44-€50.

http://www.utvinternet.com/broadband/ngb.aspx

The closest deal with Vodafone is €59 and it's only €2 more than my mother is paying for her 8mb package at the minute.

Before the inevitable questions comes as to "why does she need 24mb?" - my brother still lives at home and would stream video and play online games quite a lot.

Called up utv, they insisted the line was fine. Waited 48 hours, called again, guy on the phone then said "oh your not using our equiptment? thats why the line is at fault (wtf?!)

UTV kept insiting the problem was cause i was using my own router/modem

YES!! This is the issue we had. I changed the router myself as I wanted something better. Had no issues for a good while, then we started having issues with the line. Once they knew I wasn't using their router they wouldn't help one bit. Useless.

Blamed my router for causing the fault, then when I proved it wasn't that, they started to blame Eircom.

And what speed are they getting on their up to 8mb package now?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Has the line being tested by eircom to see what it supports.

• Advertisement

Id imagine you'd need the top one as the usage limits on the others are quite small.

And what speed are they getting on their up to 8mb package now?

Averaging about 6mbps.

ted1 wrote: »
    Has the line being tested by eircom to see what it supports.

Yep. Think they said it can get up to 17mbps NGB. So would potentially be getting double speed through.

Id imagine you'd need the top one as the usage limits on the others are quite small.

Their limit at the minute is 40GB. Ideally you'd want more (I know I would) but even 40GB again would be fine for them.

But if they're getting 6mb now, what do you expect to get on an Up to 24mb package?

Maybe one of their up to 8Mb packages might save her money,

But if they're getting 6mb now, what do you expect to get on an Up to 24mb package?

Maybe one of their up to 8Mb packages might save her money,

Sometimes they get over 7mbps. Depends on time of day.

I'd imagine they'd easily expect to get 14 or 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Tell her to NOT sign up, particulary if your brother might be a bit heavy on the download allowance. I changed over in July and have nothing but bother with them since. Their customer service is atrocious. I am on a "up to 24mb" package, was "promised" 10mb and barely scrape 4mb during the day and average 1mb in the evenings. I've cancelled my direct debit this morning and put the wheels in motion to transfer. If you add up the extras such as an "unlimited" (70gb) download allowance and the other extras that they will put on her bill it would probably work out the same as other suppliers anyway,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 EpicIrishLad

I don't know what you lot are moaning about. I was a sales rep for UTV and it's nobody's fault but your own if you got ****ed over. Nobody forced you to sign the papers and if you think the rep did force you, you are just weak and fickle. There is no bull**** with UTV, you ask a question the rep HAS TO answer honestly. Up to 24 mb doesn't mean "you will get 24 mb" you ****ing idiots. I laughed so much when I was on that job of how predictable and stupid you people can be.

I don't know what you lot are moaning about. I was a sales rep for UTV and it's nobody's fault but your own if you got ****ed over. Nobody forced you to sign the papers and if you think the rep did force you, you are just weak and fickle. There is no bull**** with UTV, you ask a question the rep HAS TO answer honestly. Up to 24 mb doesn't mean "you will get 24 mb" you ****ing idiots. I laughed so much when I was on that job of how predictable and stupid you people can be.

That's the sort of attitude that gives these reps a bad name.

I've no idea what you're like as a salesman so I am only speaking about those I've dealt with. They're very pushy and forceful. They don't ask, they tell you. "THIS IS THE BEST DEAL YOU CAN GET!"

Majority of people that these reps speak to won't understand broadband. They won't understand the technical aspects that they need to look out for. They trust the guy at the door to tell them the truth and they're not. They're doing everything they can to make the person sign up. It's praying on people who don't know better.

In my Mother's case, even after she'd told the rep she wasn't interested he came back twice again that night to see if she'd changed her mind.

It's not on! It's aggressive and pressures people in to signing deals. The reps always make out to us that these deals are limited time only and that you have to sign up there and then to get the offer. Although, you can just go on the website and get the same price.

I think a lot of people do understand that the speeds quoted are the maximum, at least I did. (However it has to be said I do not expect to consitently get a tenth of what was quoted)

You say the rep HAS to answer honestly. My main problem with the salesperson that called to me was that he blatantly lied to me when I asked him what the "umlimited" download limit was. I would never have signed up if I had been told the truth. I do not blame him the speed issues I have had from day one or my stupidity is signing up to something at the door

As peejay1986 says, your attitude gives reps a bad name. The fact that you would open a new account to post that speaks volumes about the sort of person you are.

peejay1986 wrote: »

I've no idea what you're like as a salesman so I am only speaking about those I've dealt with. They're very pushy and forceful. They don't ask, they tell you. "THIS IS THE BEST DEAL YOU CAN GET!"

Majority of people that these reps speak to won't understand broadband. They won't understand the technical aspects that they need to look out for. They trust the guy at the door to tell them the truth and they're not. They're doing everything they can to make the person sign up. It's praying on people who don't know better.

In my Mother's case, even after she'd told the rep she wasn't interested he came back twice again that night to see if she'd changed her mind.

It's not on! It's aggressive and pressures people in to signing deals. The reps always make out to us that these deals are limited time only and that you have to sign up there and then to get the offer. Although, you can just go on the website and get the same price.
    Ah would you ever get off your high horse! First of all the prices at the door are special prices for signing door to door otherwise UTV would just make a massive billboard. Aswell, the door to door prices include a free service of signing up. Online, there is hassle, forms, emails to deal with so you are wrong there to begin with.

You strike me as one of those people for justice characters. Life is tough and you need to be tough. The capitalist society offers no sympathy for idiots who sign up for stuff door to door. Luckily enough I'm not a salesman as it was a summer job and I have a prosperous future ahead of me but i respect the job as it isnt easy to do! It involves walking until your legs are dead, taking **** from people like you who love nothing more than to feel superior by attacking a profession and complaining to Joe Duffy. How about instead of slandering a profession you just let morons be morons and get on with life and just say no when they come to YOUR door! Stop trying to be a hero of the downtrodden!

Ah would you ever get off your high horse! First of all the prices at the door are special prices for signing door to door otherwise UTV would just make a massive billboard. Aswell, the door to door prices include a free service of signing up. Online, there is hassle, forms, emails to deal with so you are wrong there to begin with.

You strike me as one of those people for justice characters. Life is tough and you need to be tough. The capitalist society offers no sympathy for idiots who sign up for stuff door to door. Luckily enough I'm not a salesman as it was a summer job and I have a prosperous future ahead of me but i respect the job as it isnt easy to do! It involves walking until your legs are dead, taking **** from people like you who love nothing more than to feel superior by attacking a profession and complaining to Joe Duffy. How about instead of slandering a profession you just let morons be morons and get on with life and just say no when they come to YOUR door! Stop trying to be a hero of the downtrodden!

Ha. You're a ****ing lunatic.

First of all the prices at the door are special prices for signing door to door otherwise UTV would just make a massive billboard.

Bollocks. I've been handed the offers by the salesmen before, then gone online and found the EXACT same 'special offers' on the website.
    You strike me as one of those people for justice characters. Life is tough and you need to be tough.

Exactly the opposite. Life is for enjoying.
    The capitalist society offers no sympathy for idiots who sign up for stuff door to door. Luckily enough I'm not a salesman as it was a summer job and I have a prosperous future ahead of me but i respect the job as it isnt easy to do! It involves walking until your legs are dead, taking **** from people like you who love nothing more than to feel superior by attacking a profession and complaining to Joe Duffy. How about instead of slandering a profession you just let morons be morons and get on with life and just say no when they come to YOUR door! Stop trying to be a hero of the downtrodden!

Fair enough. Firstly, never listened to Joe Duffy in my life. Secondly, if that's your attitude then why don't we all just go and sell some cheap tat to some blind folk and tell them it's worth a fortune? Sure they'd be idiots to believe us. If they fall for it then they're worse.

To sum up...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

peejay1986 wrote: »

You talk some shore.
    Fyi door to door sales isn't a profession.

pro·fes·sion /prəˈfeSHən/Noun: 1. A paid occupation, esp. one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification

As a true professional it does my head in when people misrepresent themselves as a professional.
    It's like when sky technicians call themselves engineers. There no more an engineer than doctor Dre is a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

I'm a customer of UTV and very happy to be one, they've always been very straight with us. I've promoted them as a choice to friends and everyone who signed up is happy with their service. UTV has a bad reputation it seems, however, and it's not going to be helped by idiots like you thinking you're so much better than those who don't understand exactly what they're signing up to. If UTV agents called to my door once then twice again later on the same day just to see if I'd changed my mind, I would have told them to piss off and would stay very far away from the company.

I think UTV is glad you're no longer with them, you condescending prick.

For those who are saying UTV are always blaming Eircom, it is nearly always true. We moved two doors over to another apartment last year and there was a problem with the line when trying to move our service to the new place. I called Eircom and they said there was nothing wrong with it. At one point, I was on the line to Eircom who were telling me one thing, I put them on hold and listened to our letting agents, who were also on hold with a different Eircom agent tell us something else, then ten minutes after that call was over UTV was on the line with yet another Eircom agent telling them something completely different! It was only when I called Eircom for the umpteenth time and got through to someone I used to work with up there that we got it all sorted out, she quickly got a tech out to sort the line and fixed all the admin troubles that had come from so many crossed wires - the wires being other Eircom agents.

I remember her admonishing me for not picking Eircom over UTV, and I lied to her and said my flatmate wanted to go with UTV. Having worked for Eircom, and having witnessed firsthand the **** you go through with them, I wouldn't go with them unless they were the last provider in the country! Props to UTV for giving us sterling support and utterly solid service throughout the last three to four years, and for upgrading our 3MB package to 7MB (now 8MB) for absolutely free.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Unfortunately going back years it has been reflex for many UTV csrs to blame Eircom irrespective of the complaint.

I have personal experience of them blaming Eircom on a billing issue! And at one stage they certainly were happy to infer that Eircom were the culprits without directly saying so.

For a long time I was a big fan of UTV when a small number of their staff gave incomparable customer service but that was a long time ago and based on my experiences of leaving them I couldn't recommend them to anyone.

Azhrei wrote: »
    I'm a customer of UTV and very happy to be one, they've always been very straight with us. I've promoted them as a choice to friends and everyone who signed up is happy with their service. UTV has a bad reputation it seems, however, and it's not going to be helped by idiots like you thinking you're so much better than those who don't understand exactly what they're signing up to. If UTV agents called to my door once then twice again later on the same day just to see if I'd changed my mind, I would have told them to piss off and would stay very far away from the company.

I think UTV is glad you're no longer with them, you condescending prick.

You think wrong sir because I was making UTV upwards of 35 sales a week and they are still begging me to come back. I moved on because I was heading back to university. If condescending prick means an intellectual who can play mind games with obviously weak minded simpletons who don't realise that they are subject to generic marketing techniques then yes I am one but remember that old phrase my narrow-minded compadre "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." If people spent as much time reading and comparing providers for the best deal than they do complaining how agents "bullied" them into a purchase at the door, life would be a better place because we should value people with strong mental constitutions and not feeling sorry for the weak in the herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

People who don't understand the hidden meaning behind all the buzzwords and who trust what the salesman is telling them are not "the weak in the herd". Trusting that they are going to get the service that they are being told they will get does not mean they are simpletons.

• Advertisement

Funny that, because when I was onto UTV, I was told that the sales people in the south no longer worked for them due to the damage they done to their reputation, there were a lot of complaints (allegedly) .....obviously except you EpicIrishlad and your positve attitude and way with people. I can see why they would be begging you to come back:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Another dodgy experience here with signing up to UTV Internet from their door to door salespeople in Cork. Two months after signing up........nothing. Ring UTV up (twice) and they eventually got back to me and it turns out there was no sign of my order in their system. Hopefully being sorted out now.......but I wouldn't be surprised if there were issues with the €9.99/month (inclusive of line rental) for 7 months 24MB broadband service I signed up to!

Another dodgy experience here with signing up to UTV Internet from their door to door salespeople in Cork. Two months after signing up........nothing. Ring UTV up (twice) and they eventually got back to me and it turns out there was no sign of my order in their system. Hopefully being sorted out now.......but I wouldn't be surprised if there were issues with the €9.99/month (inclusive of line rental) for 7 months 24MB broadband service I signed up to!

€9.99 p/m:eek: I feel completely and utterly ripped off and more fool me, I actually paid the July-August bill for the ****e service I was getting, they won't be getting another penny from me I can tell you:mad::mad: Actually haven't even heard such a cheap offer from any of the phone/internet providers. The ****e service might just be about worth the €9.99:pac: Delighted I am (nearly) away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

lindtee wrote: »
    €9.99 p/m:eek: I feel completely and utterly ripped off and more fool me, I actually paid the July-August bill for the ****e service I was getting, they won't be getting another penny from me I can tell you:mad::mad: Actually haven't even heard such a cheap offer from any of the phone/internet providers. The ****e service might just be about worth the €9.99:pac: Delighted I am (nearly) away from them.

The deal is the €36.99/month 24Mb/s 20GB cap, free evening calls package for 12 months, but they *apparently* do an offer of the first 7 months being broadband only for €9.99/month, after which you go to the full package. The lady on the phone seemed to know about the "9.99 internet deal" but I would not be at all surprised if it didn't include line rental, despite being told repeatedly that it did by the rep at the door (the quality of whom can be judged ny the poster above).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thread locked, EpicIrishLad infracted....any more nonsense like this and you are banned

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement