Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rent deposit back

Options
  • 30-08-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I moved out of my apartment in the middle of June but I still have not received all of my rent deposit back. There is a 300 Euro shortfall out of a deposit of 1000. I had to push the estate agent to even return what I received. She said that my deposit was returned (transferred to my bank account) but she didn't initially explain that not all of the deposit was being returned.

When I queried this, the agent said that the landlord had deducted the 300 for repairs and cleaning. There was no repairs required. There is no way the cleaning bill came to 300. I have tried and tried to get receipts for this work from the estate agent, but to no avail.

What are my options now?

Can I report the estate agent or landlord to anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Not a consumer issue - I've reported the post (not in a bad way but Dudara runs a tight ship in regards to cross posts)

I assume you where not sharing the apartment with the Landlord. If you were different rules apply.

You should contact Threshold and/or the PRTB to peruse the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Heya,
    Have a look at this http://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/non-return-of-security-deposit-by-your-landlord/ you can contact the PRTB (prtb.ie)
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

get on to the PRTB they will sort it for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

I second threshold

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

PRTB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

You should email the Letting Agent, requesting the remainder of your deposit, or receipts for the €300 by x date, I suppose a working week would be sufficient. State if you do not receive these, you will have no option but to open a dispute resolution claim with PRTB.

That should be enough to get the money back, if nothing has been received, open the case. It will cost €25, and take a long time, but its important not to let them away with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Got this issue resolved.

Wrote a letter to the landlord explaining the situation and threatening to bring the dispute to the PRTB. A few days later the letting agent contacted me requesting a meeting.

At the meeting the letting agent gave me a cheque for the 300 remainder.

It wasn't clear whether the cheque was from the landlord or the letting agent.

Advertisement