Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glendalough Swim?

Options
  • 30-08-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Anyone doing this? I want to do it i think its the first time ever to swim in the upper lake yes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I'm entered a tri that day, but a bad back will probably limit any running or biking, so this looks a tempting alternative. €35 entry is a lot, though they have a 2 for 1 offer, anyone want to split the price with me?

Details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Thinking about doing this too. Enjoyed my first proper OW swim at DCT last week & wouldn't mind doing another before the season ends.
    35 quid's a bit steep, though no? I assume these are a stand-alone crowd & there's no requirement to be registered with Swim Ireland or Tri Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I'm entered a tri that day, but a bad back will probably limit any running or biking, so this looks a tempting alternative. €35 entry is a lot, though they have a 2 for 1 offer, anyone want to split the price with me?

Details

Yes, I'll split the price with you. PM for details?

from their site -

We always strongly advised the use of wetsuits for safety reasons. However, swimmers will have the option to wear a wetsuit or not as long as the water temperature is 15°C or above.

The set temps are only a guideline for people new to open water. If youve swam it before and feel comfortable without a suit then feel free to swim skins. Its actually above 15 in there at the moment and I dont think itll drop much by the 8th.

That's from the organizers on their Facebook page. I reckon I'll use the wetsuit, although I'd be tempted to go primal for the unique opportunity to swim in such a great location. Either way, really looking forward to it! Entered us both PeterX, bring it on!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

Yes i will also commit to the 750m swim and if anyone wants to join with me PM me. :D
    Come on its a nice way to end the season!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

interesting. think i might do the 1500 swim alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Details

Kurt, you seen this one http://i3swim.ie/events/5km-swim/ - looks like one you'd like. I reckon I'll head on down to it.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Kurt, you seen this one http://i3swim.ie/events/5km-swim/ - looks like one you'd like. I reckon I'll head on down to it.

Nice looking swim, but have you seen the pricing structure? €50!:eek: No way I could pay that for something with essentially very few overheads. To be honest, I wouldn't have signed up for Glendalough at €35, if they didn't essentially cut the price in half. I reckon I'll be looking at some of the http://www.swimleinster.com/OpenSea/opensea.htm calendar swims for 2013- €10 a pop. (You have to remember, I'm coming from an IMRA background where €7 was the norm!)

But best of luck to you if you go down, its a spectacular part of Ireland!

i am going to register online tonight as you dont get the tshirt after registering the 1st Sep...its ALL about racking up the t-shirts.

If anyone wants to join with me let me know asap!

PM me your name, and predicted time for the 750m swim, emergency contact, and Tshirt size.

• Advertisement

Nice looking swim, but have you seen the pricing structure? €50!:eek: No way I could pay that for something with essentially very few overheads. To be honest, I wouldn't have signed up for Glendalough at €35, if they didn't essentially cut the price in half. I reckon I'll be looking at some of the http://www.swimleinster.com/OpenSea/opensea.htm calendar swims for 2013- €10 a pop. (You have to remember, I'm coming from an IMRA background where €7 was the norm!)

But best of luck to you if you go down, its a spectacular part of Ireland!

Yeah agree completely regarding the cost but I still entered.............there's always some suckers willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Yeah agree completely regarding the cost but I still entered.............there's always some suckers willing to pay.

Hmm.. that looks like fun...

Swam in seapoint yesterday at high tide.
    It was a little bit choppy but got across OK with a few breaks. The buoyancy of the wetsuit is amazing. Unfortunately my historical weakness in the sea came back and I got nauseous and then physically sick in the water.
    I'm just not built for the sea and now I can add getting sick swimming to a list including surfboards, boogie boards, sailboats, SCUBA diving and ferries. Thankfully I'd anticipated this little issue and my good friend had come along on his Stand Up Paddle board which was a great help as I sat on it vomiting in front of him for a few minutes.

Here's hoping my problems are all about the salt water cos apart from getting sick I really enjoyed the swim, sea swimming is cool.

As it was a slightly chastening experience though I'm definitely going for the shorter swim on Saturday - even when I was feeling OK I still needed to take rests occasionally and Seapoint can't be more then 550m across:)
    Apart from the getting sick I really enjoyed the swim though. The sea temp. is lovely at this time of the year.

This was a great swim- best day of year weather-wise, the lake was cool and refreshing. Absolutely magical to swim in that golden dark peat water. Pretty big turnout, some fast times, and a really relaxed vibe. The race was dear at €35 (although the 2 for 1 helped), but organization was perfect and perfectly professional.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Shame I didn't pay much attention to this thread. Would have been a great morning for that swim I'd say. :(

Ditto to all that Kurt Godel said.

A great swim on a fabulous day, the atmospheric mist lifting from the perfectly still lake set the tone for a super swim in clean water. Well organised with easy to follow instructions and there seemed to be spot prizes for half those assembled at prize-giving.

I should have some photos of the 1500m swim once I find the pesky camera and get round to uploading the shots to picasa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

most amazing setting for a swim i've seen. Loved it

296587_4291240633288_1430620390_n.jpg

391706_4291276754191_105710563_n.jpg

424725_10152092720800626_1159363580_n.jpg

309128_10152092718065626_986787264_n.jpg

523610_10152092712520626_338051565_n.jpg

Yes i agree-it was a fab opportunity to swim in the lake. The water was magic. So clean and fresh. And what a day for it! i too thought it was expensive really and also having to pay car parking fee made it a big day out. I was in two minds as to take it easy and just enjoy the swim as a fun swim, or to race....my competitive side kicked in though and i raced. Lots of abilities though which was nice to see too. I did stop once or twice to take a look around and ....ahem....get my bearings but i think im getting better at swimming straight. Was a top day!
    I wonder when the results are in....keen to know the time.

Did you do the 1500 Kurt? i really enjoyed the 750 and will do 1500 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Peterx wrote: »
    Unfortunately my historical weakness in the sea came back and I got nauseous and then physically sick in the water.
    I'm just not built for the sea and now I can add getting sick swimming to a list including surfboards, boogie boards, sailboats, SCUBA diving and ferries.

I find this works for me
    here

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

Are the results anywhere ?
    Looked like a great first time event.

• Advertisement

paddlepop wrote: »
    Yes i agree-it was a fab opportunity to swim in the lake. The water was magic. So clean and fresh. And what a day for it! i too thought it was expensive really and also having to pay car parking fee made it a big day out. I was in two minds as to take it easy and just enjoy the swim as a fun swim, or to race....my competitive side kicked in though and i raced. Lots of abilities though which was nice to see too. I did stop once or twice to take a look around and ....ahem....get my bearings but i think im getting better at swimming straight. Was a top day!
    I wonder when the results are in....keen to know the time.

Did you do the 1500 Kurt? i really enjoyed the 750 and will do 1500 next year.

Well done paddlepop! Had to be raced really, although I'd like a leisurely re-swim, to take in the surroundings! (I did 1500)
    tinydave wrote: »

Results on their Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

tinydave wrote: »

Results on their Facebook page[/Quote]

Just seen that now, cheers

I'll put more photos up on picasa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Fantastic swim, beautiful location & the weather was a treat too. Well organised and safely stewarded as far as I could see. Agree its a bit steep on price, next time I'll bring a 2for1 victim along.

Kudos to the young lady who was first female in both the 750 and 1500.

Are there any websites that give a good calander for events like this? Was just thinking last night what a waste all the swimming I've done over the last 10 months has been since I only had one succesful swim in a tri. Probably a bit late to be looking for OW swims but be nice to get a few events in next year and get some reward for all my hard work.

No doubt I could swim 5k but it would take me about a month so that would put this one out and the mile is too short. :)

Be good if a kindly boards member(hi Kurt :)) would put together a list of swim events for next year when the net T/D/M calendar for 2013 is being put together.

Are there any websites that give a good calander for events like this? Was just thinking last night what a waste all the swimming I've done over the last 10 months has been since I only had one succesful swim in a tri. Probably a bit late to be looking for OW swims but be nice to get a few events in next year and get some reward for all my hard work.

No doubt I could swim 5k but it would take me about a month so that would put this one out and the mile is too short. :)

Be good if a kindly boards member(hi Kurt :)) would put together a list of swim events for next year when the net T/D/M calendar for 2013 is being put together.

I'd love to see a good list too- I'm as novice at this as you are RQ. Here's some of the web resources I've picked up:

http://leinsteropensea.ie/ Great starting point. Calendar, meet-ups, tips, etc.

http://loneswimmer.com/ The motherload for distance swimming.

http://outdoorswimming.ie/index.html List of OW swim venues, county by county.

http://www.clwf.eu/ Seems to be a decent OW lake swimming festival- There is also a free (yes, free!) Tri there Sept 30th- SWIM 2.7K BIKE 50K RUN 5K (OFF ROAD CAMLOUGH MOUNTAIN) which is a decent length for splashing about. I'm strongly considering making the journey...

And, er, that's all I can offer!

Good list Kurt.

There's also the Irish Long Distance Swimming Association -

http://www.ildsa.info/

The content can be a bit dated but the calendar of events is kept up to date.

Girl I used to work with was training for this last year http://www.swimireland.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1964:frances-thornton-memorial-galway-bay-swim&catid=142:headlines&Itemid=280

Don't know if she ever did it but it sounded awesome. Record is 2.5 hours :eek:
    13k would probably take me about 7 hours or so if you call it at about 25 - 30 minutes per 1k in the pool in training :confused: :eek:

• Advertisement

Record is 2.5 hours :eek:

The record holder is Chris Bryan, who just missed out on the Olympic 10k through illness. He's the man Griffin is looking to beat in the 5k Lough Derg swim- here's a clip of him winning last years event. ;)

Advertisement