Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glendalough Swim?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

See Mikey at 4:38!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Macanri wrote: »
    See Mikey at 4:38!;)
    Jesus how did you spot that! Cool event. Bit off more than I could chew last year and swam through cement for the last km. Would be there again this year if it wasn't for some other pesky race!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

It's hard to miss that ugly mug! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jesus how did you spot that! Cool event. Bit off more than I could chew last year and swam through cement for the last km. Would be there again this year if it wasn't for some other pesky race!

Jesus I really needed to read that.......if you struggled then I'm gonna die.....watch this space.....

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

Hi guys,
    after the let down in Galway bay aquathon, where i did not perform in the way i wanted.. I ve seen this race in September and I m thinking to do it.. 1500
    I live in Galway, so i was thinking to take the wife with me on Fri night and stay 2 nights and visit Glendalough / Wicklow area.

About the race. How cold would the wather be?.. compare to a swin in Galway bay?
    The few pictures I ve seen are incredible, so I d say the view give you a big morale boost!
    did i read about €35 entrance + parking as well?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 ciah

Did 1500m last year in a wetsuit and it was heavenly, cool but not cold.
    Many did it without a wetsuit.
    Lake is deep, water is clean but dark.
    Probably a few degrees cooler than the sea in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah looking to do this too. Was there some discount at some stage last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

I did the 750 and loved it. One of the nicest swims I have ever done. I did have a full wetsuit on but was glad for it- was a little chilly at the start if you're not used to it. Am signed up for the iron man swim(3.9km) so training for that. I got a deal last year where you brought a friend for free(but only 1 got a t shirt) so depending on numbers they may do it again. Was nice casual atmosphere. Some breast strokers, non wetsuit swimmers, young and old. Lets hope we get a stunning day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

This was a stunning place to swim, did the 1,500m last year, and I'm down for the 3.8k this year. It was overpriced (IMO) at €35 last year, so they introduced a 2-for-1, think its €25 entry this year. There's a pretty good standard at the front, both skins and suits, and mid- and back-packers catered for as well. As mentioned above the lake is colder than the sea, all the more so as its in an often-shaded valley. There's also a river flowing into it which makes it colder on one side.

The swords of sunlight cutting into peat-brown (under)water, fighting with orange bubbles of kicking feet, is an image that will stay with me forever.

i m very excited now, better calm down.
    I ve a few races in August (run) so the 3.9Km swim could be bit 2 long for me.. 1.5 is def my distance..

I m probably gonna stay for friday night only (2 nights is costing me too much).. do they have showers after the race?

thanks guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

absolutely stunning swim. loved it last year

In here they say
    "The lake is cold at this time of the year, averaging just 17 degrees"
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/lifestyle/swimmers-ready-for-glendalough-plunge-27654199.html

but I m sure my wetsuit will do a good job as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

turniton wrote: »
    In here they say
    "The lake is cold at this time of the year, averaging just 17 degrees"
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/lifestyle/swimmers-ready-for-glendalough-plunge-27654199.html

but I m sure my wetsuit will do a good job as usual!

i dont remember the water temperature being an issue last year

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

kurt where did you find the two for one deal, they seem to have concealed it well.. i already signed up having not seen it.

I can swim 1.5k in the sea as the temperatures are at the moment without a wetsuit - do you think i would struggle in the lake temperatures? is it a big difference?

hollingr wrote: »
    kurt where did you find the two for one deal, they seem to have concealed it well.. i already signed up having not seen it.

I can swim 1.5k in the sea as the temperatures are at the moment without a wetsuit - do you think i would struggle in the lake temperatures? is it a big difference?

The 2-for-1 deal was from last year. It was €25 individual for 2013 when I signed up a few months back, although I see its gone up to €35 now. That's too dear IMO, but I guess its a market and whatever it will bear.

There's a noticeble difference in sea vs. lake temperatures, maybe a couple of degrees colder in a lake. Glendalough is shaded for much of the day too, and is also fed by a mountain river, so will be that bit colder still. Once you get going though, you won't notice. If you can swim in the sea without a wetsuit now, you'll have no problems with cold, wetsuitted in the lake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mulling over the long swim...but only swimming once a week at the moment and haven't really done much swimming the last while. Doesn't seem worth it for 1.5K...

hmm.. I don't own a trisuit, only a winter surfing wetsuit (5/3) which would keep me warm but can barely move the arms in it. :(

I asked the organisers and they said it will be 16+..

Today's SST @dun laoghaire says it is 15 degrees:
    http://www.seatemperature.org/europe/ireland/dun-laoghaire.htm

I think I'll be ok? I guess the nice weather we had this summer makes more difference to lake temperatures than sea temps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I did the Beast of the East in Lough Dan a month ago and the water was very warm; could have easily gone without the suit had the rules permitted it. However that was right off the back of the heatwave. Temps have dropped back a fair bit since then and the Upper Lake is pretty shady. It is hard to know how warm it'll be unless you get up there and stick a toe in. It was bloody freezing last year; I'll be in the wetsuit, just to be sure. Amazing place to swim, all the same.

Mulling over the long swim...but only swimming once a week at the moment and haven't really done much swimming the last while. Doesn't seem worth it for 1.5K...

I was thinking this too; although I'd say the numbers would be pretty sparse on the Sunday. The buzz of the people made the day for me last year; along with the weather and the stunning location.

Edit; actually a number of people did both the 750 and 1.5k last year. I wonder did they use the 2-for-1 deal on that or how did they wangle it. Wouldn't mind doing that but damned if I'm paying double.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

thinking on doing the 1.5k on the Saturday as it's the day before the hurling final so would make a nice weekend in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

mossym wrote: »
    thinking on doing the 1.5k on the Saturday as it's the day before the hurling final so would make a nice weekend in Dublin.
    Was hoping to do the 3.8k swim and make it to croker - cutting it tight I'd say. Definitely be no time for a pre-game lunch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Was hoping to do the 3.8k swim and make it to croker - cutting it tight I'd say. Definitely be no time for a pre-game lunch

thats for sure. the saturday will do me, i have 2 tris the 2 weekends before so looking forward to a couple of pints that Saturday night after the swim

cjt156 wrote: »
    I was thinking this too; although I'd say the numbers would be pretty sparse on the Sunday. The buzz of the people made the day for me last year; along with the weather and the stunning location.

Edit; actually a number of people did both the 750 and 1.5k last year. I wonder did they use the 2-for-1 deal on that or how did they wangle it. Wouldn't mind doing that but damned if I'm paying double.

Hmmm good point. Was wondering if it was possible to do the two on Saturday myself. With the times you'd have enough of a rest between to give both a decent lash as well.

I'm not paying 70 quid though.

cjt156 wrote: »
    actually a number of people did both the 750 and 1.5k last year. I wonder did they use the 2-for-1 deal on that or how did they wangle it. Wouldn't mind doing that but damned if I'm paying double.

Last years 2-for-1 allowed you to enter one race for €35, and get a free entry for one race for a buddy. OR you could do both races for the €35. That doesn't seem to be an option this year. At €35 it's expensive for one race, IMO. Well organised and a good set-up, though.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anyone know if the 3.9 is one or two laps?

Oryx wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 3.9 is one or two laps?

You shoudl do the 1500, I'll race ye

You shoudl do the 1500, I'll race ye
    There would be no satisfaction for you in beating a swim like mine. :p

i think they said on their facebook page the 3.9k was two laps.. ill be at the 1.5k aiming for a modest sub 30min time, i'll be easy to spot wetsuitless and lagging behind the pack!

hollingr wrote: »
    i think they said on their facebook page the 3.9k was two laps.. ill be at the 1.5k aiming for a modest sub 30min time, i'll be easy to spot wetsuitless and lagging behind the pack!
    Yet another organiser who needs to realise not everyone is on bloody facebook. :P

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Me too: hope to crack 25 min if I can manage to sight a bit better. Reckon I did closer to 2k last time with my, eh, tactical zig-zag technique...:(

Advertisement