Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glendalough Swim?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Are there many other Ironaman distance open water (sea or lake) swims in Ireland. Can't seem to find a list anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

How'd it go today, for those that were there? Any chop on the lake with the breezy conditions?
    Oryx wrote: »
    Yet another organiser who needs to realise not everyone is on bloody facebook. :P

Thanks!

Anyone get a race briefing at all? No idea what time to turn up tomorrow (race starts at 10am, thats all I know)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I looked it up. Register between 8 and 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Went pretty badly for me.. Not sure of time yet. I would say I was at least 3-4 minutes off my target race time. A lot of chop in the water, although second half of the race was easier as wind was on your back, so can't really complain there.

The real problem for me was this was my first open water competition (never swam with tons of people before) and I got into the water fairly late along with the other non-wetsuit folk (very bitter winds.. I was cold getting in and was actually better off in the water; it was lovely).

The race started less than a minute after I got in and I didn't get time to adjust and normalise by breathing as I usually do.

I started at least 50m behind the front of the pack, got stuck behind what seemed like endless droves of really awful swimmers for the first 500-600m that were zig-zagging like maniacs, making it nearly impossible to pass efficiently. I knew I started badly when I was passing breast-strokers at the second buoy!

Definitely nowhere near the times I've been doing in open water the last few weeks. Learnt some good lessons though should I do another event - get in early, get best starting spot possible! Would be much better if they started the race in packs based on your expected finishing times..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bitterly cold out there, never have I wanted to get into the open water so badly.

Not the best swim for me either, started off well about 400 metres or so in as I turned to breathe someones hand literally cupped my head and pushed my head under water. Water in the lungs and had to stop dead to tread water while in the middle of a group to catch my breath. Lost the group and took a few minutes to pull myself together but I broke 30 AFAIK so I'll take that. Never goes smoothly :D

Great swim, well organised pity the weather was so miserable.

Knew I should have signed up for the 3.9

• Advertisement

yeah it seems that other people are the biggest obstacle in races like this.. I got bodychecked into the 3rd buoy and came to a complete stop at one point, thankfully not too much water swallowing, and people only grabbed at my feet which I found a bit weird.. I always though people swam looking forwards! :P

hollingr wrote: »
    yeah it seems that other people are the biggest obstacle in races like this.. I got bodychecked into the 3rd buoy and came to a complete stop at one point, thankfully not too much water swallowing, and people only grabbed at my feet which I found a bit weird.. I always though people swam looking forwards! :P

It's part and parcel of swim events but I wouldn't expect it a few hundred metres into it. It happens though.

Swore I'd do open water swims this summer doing this today reminded me why I wanted to do it. Really enjoy swimming and love being in the OW. Shame I've missed pretty much all the races this year. Just can't fit everything in. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

It's part and parcel of swim events but I wouldn't expect it a few hundred metres into it. It happens though.

Swore I'd do open water swims this summer doing this today reminded me why I wanted to do it. Really enjoy swimming and love being in the OW. Shame I've missed pretty much all the races this year. Just can't fit everything in. :D

there is one in galway in october, the fjord swim. will be cold, but should be good fun..:)

also cork RNLI Myrtleville to Church Bay (entrance to Cork Harbour) 2km open water sea swim is on Saturday, September 21 at 5.30PM

http://myrtlevilleswimmers.com/myrtleville-church-bay-2013-entry-form/

and

Sun 13-Oct Global Open Water Swimming Conference 1.7km or 3km Sandycove Island, Cork

http://www.globalopenwaterswimmingconferencecork2013.com/#!page4/cfvg

Working both those weekends. Considered the Fjord swim alright, didn't know about the one in Cork thanks.
    €15 for the swim in Cork. Nice.

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    How'd it go today, for those that were there? Any chop on the lake with the breezy conditions?

Just saw that now. T'was a bit choppy alright. Was going to post a photo but you can't even see the chop in the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good I like gnarly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Well organized race for the 3.9k today, a bit of chop meant you got a few gobfuls of water along one side of the laps. It didn't feel as cold as last year, maybe I just have more blubber on me. Good to meet shotgun and missus, and Oryx and supporters. Shotguns car was weighed down from all those sandbags he carries with him;)

They had a heli-camera following the race; tough putting on a smile for it when coming up for air. Half of IMRA were running the mountains too, a very busy sporty spot today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Some photos just before the start, 1 of the 2 lads at the end and a couple taken from up around Derrybawn mid-race (not a serious race if I was stopping for photos ;) )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickhanney/sets/72157635430287551/

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I enjoyed this in spite of the cold (which only I seemed to feel) but dear organisers, one small thing: yellow hats and yellow buoys are a disaster. I was sighting off a moving target most of the time. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    I enjoyed this in spite of the cold (which only I seemed to feel) but dear organisers, one small thing: yellow hats and yellow buoys are a disaster. I was sighting off a moving target most of the time. :)

LOL...yesterday we had green hats but the kayakers were wearing yellow and could be mistaken for buoys

Great spot. I'd recommend this event. The lake was choppy but the water clean so I just hydrated as I went along :) Good to meet Oryx and Kurt again and share war stories afterwards. I'd agree with Oryx on the yellow buoys and yellow hats. Also I'd rather the buoys were in a line. The tea coffee machine had gone belly up by the time I wanted some to reheat. I'd change this to a huge pot of vegetable soup and give the cold swimmers a disposable cup of it :) Its very satisfying completing a distance OW swim race for some reason. Best to forget about a time goal, race within yourself and just take in the beautiful surroundings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I think you got the better weather for the 3.9k on Sunday. Saturday I was shivering watching the 750; it was a relief to get into the water for the 1.5 and finally warm up!
    Vice versa last year the weather was warm and the water cold. Little chop to remind you its OW and a few bodies to swim through make it a bit of fun. I need to have more confidence and start nearer the front in future; get my own rhythm going once I've a bit of space.

Glad I did it again and I'll be back next year, maybe for the longer distance.
    Though I do think with the numbers they're pulling in they could trim the price a little?
    And where's the results - no sign on the website or bookieface.

cjt156 wrote: »

Glad I did it again and I'll be back next year, maybe for the longer distance.
    Though I do think with the numbers they're pulling in they could trim the price a little?
    And where's the results - no sign on the website or bookieface.

24 hours after the race they said, I assume they'll be up sometime this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

• Advertisement

wow pleasantly surprised! 27.33 my best time ever and beat my best pool time by 30secs..

im actually faster in open water than in a pool which is nice!

Sub 29 for me so can't complain. Target locked on for 1500 OW swims next year.

Clubmate I share a lane with did 27:25 so I'm taking an extra minute off my time based on this. :)

Well done RC. Enjoyed it enough to go back too

I'm not listed! Blummin feck!
    No goody bag.
    No t-shirt.
    No results.
    There'll be a strongly worded letter to the authorities about this I tells ya!

were u a late entry cj? they did say that people who signed up within 7 days of event were not guaranteed a goodie bag!

not being listed is awful though do u remember the numbers of the people who finished just before you?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

I'm not listed either in the 3.9 and the person who finished after me got her time noted incorrectly too.

I strongly agree with the yellow swim caps. My garmin shows me moving all over the place! I blame the caps, not my ability to swim straight :D

I have a large tshirt. Don't suppose anyone wants to swap for a medium? It's way too big for me. Worth a shot.

hollingr wrote: »
    were u a late entry cj? they did say that people who signed up within 7 days of event were not guaranteed a goodie bag!

not being listed is awful though do u remember the numbers of the people who finished just before you?

I was late alright; I didn't care about the goodies (too much). Though when they knew they were heading towards a sellout it should be easy enough to cater for the numbers expected.

More important is the timing. At 35 euro a head they are generating a lot of cash, surely a more effective system could be provided. Even a time-stamped camera on a tri-pod recording everyone exiting would be easy to do?

Bit hacked off about this; would have liked to know if I met my target, purely for my own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭themoney

I have a large tshirt. Don't suppose anyone wants to swap for a medium? It's way too big for me. Worth a shot.

Yea I have a medium that I would swap for a large if it's not too much hassle.
    Drop me a PM.

cjt156 wrote: »
    I was late alright; I didn't care about the goodies (too much). Though when they knew they were heading towards a sellout it should be easy enough to cater for the numbers expected.

More important is the timing. At 35 euro a head they are generating a lot of cash, surely a more effective system could be provided. Even a time-stamped camera on a tri-pod recording everyone exiting would be easy to do?

Bit hacked off about this; would have liked to know if I met my target, purely for my own sake.

Yah for €35 and as we registered on precision timing website I thought we'd have timing chips. I willingly paid the €35 I could have just not done the event but is this a fundraiser? Would definitely keep my eye on these for next year for cheaper entry, €35 is just too much tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I wrote to them and they have identified me as the Mrs Take who took 27:48 on the result lists. They say they will update with my real name (and gender).

Advertisement