Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guard/Attack (Protection) dog training in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I wouldn't be as confident as other people who think their dogs will defend them as a last resort without training. My 2 are great watch dogs, will alert me to any noise or movement about the place. One night, my GSD from the sitting room noticed some movement in a bush 150ft down the end of the garden. It was dark and I couldn't see a thing but he was insistant that there was something there. Anyway, up I got, went out the back and with the gsd at my side walked to the end of the garden. Still couldn't see much but the dog was focused on something in the bush. A few seconds later the bush moved, it turned out to be a cat. I turned around and the dog was gone, he literally ran all the way back to the house when the bush moved and left me standing there on my todd.

I don't know much about "attack" training but I can't help thinking a dog who is likely to attack will be uncontrolable where as a dog who is trained to protect will only do so on command and release on command, there by actually being safer. Is it really training for aggression or is it not just training to control aggression. Maybe someone with more experience of it can comment further. I'd much prefer have a dog I can command to stop attacking than assume my dog will attack in the first place because either he wont or else he will and i wont be able to control or break off the attack if he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I wouldn't be as confident as other people who think their dogs will defend them as a last resort without training. My 2 are great watch dogs, will alert me to any noise or movement about the place. One night, my GSD from the sitting room noticed some movement in a bush 150ft down the end of the garden. It was dark and I couldn't see a thing but he was insistant that there was something there. Anyway, up I got, went out the back and with the gsd at my side walked to the end of the garden. Still couldn't see much but the dog was focused on something in the bush. A few seconds later the bush moved, it turned out to be a cat. I turned around and the dog was gone, he literally ran all the way back to the house when the bush moved and left me standing there on my todd.

I don't know much about "attack" training but I can't help thinking a dog who is likely to attack will be uncontrolable where as a dog who is trained to protect will only do so on command and release on command, there by actually being safer. Is it really training for aggression or is it not just training to control aggression. Maybe someone with more experience of it can comment further. I'd much prefer have a dog I can command to stop attacking than assume my dog will attack in the first place because either he wont or else he will and i wont be able to control or break off the attack if he does.

I agree with you, I'm not sure my fellow would protect me in that fashion either, but he would sure make a lot of noise before I met my demise. ;)
    The thing is though, if 'run for it' (seems wise in my opinion, he did let you know something was up) is your dog's nature, he's not suitable for attack training anyway. To actively train an attack/protection dog is a skill most of us would find difficult, trainers of protection dogs look for certain assertive personalities in dogs before they train them for this role. Making a fearful dog into an attack dog would be dangerous I imagine (not saying you would of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

hahaha:D.....I was reading very tentatively as I thought you were going to tell about how the neighbours favourite cat was attacked by your dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

There's a really good video on YouTube were trainers put a camera in a house and got a strangers to climb into a window. The dogs barked but let the intruder into the house. I don't think they were guardian breeds though. They go through all scenarios like getting attacked on the street and they all failed that too.

I cant for the life of me find it though. I'll have a bit more time later and then I'll try post it.

Its very rare that people would need a dog to do this work, most dogs would bark and make a fuss and if that dog is a German Shep/Rottie its probably enough to keep someone away. You'd want to be a right eejit to try break into someones house if there is a Rottie/GSD growling and showing teeth!

I've family/friends involved with Rotties and they have dogs that would let you in and take the family jewels while some of their other Rotties wouldn't let you 5 feet near the fence but it is their working lines that show real guardian ability.

Others friends involved with molosser type guardian breeds that would attack without warning to threats and wouldn't even let you look at the property. I came across a Cauassian Ovcharka before and only that there was an 8 foot fence I would of been picked up in little pieces for a week. Scary stuff seeing a full on PP/Guardian breed doing its job. Definitely not for the faint heart and probably not needed in your average home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

..........................................................................Scary stuff seeing a full on PP/Guardian breed doing its job. Definitely not for the faint heart and probably not needed in your average home.

Billy, I wanna live where you live!!

OP, have you tried Brentwood Kennels out in The Ward near Ashbourne?
    From first hand experience, they train and sell the type of protection dog I think you're looking for.
    A proper protection dog won't come cheap though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 junca

I can't help thinking a dog who is likely to attack will be uncontrolable where as a dog who is trained to protect will only do so on command and release on command, there by actually being safer. Is it really training for aggression or is it not just training to control aggression. Maybe someone with more experience of it can comment further. I'd much prefer have a dog I can command to stop attacking than assume my dog will attack in the first place because either he wont or else he will and i wont be able to control or break off the attack if he does.

that was EXACTY what i was getting at.....

and here is the video of them seeing if a normal dog would protect the family home only the lab x seems to be doing its job half way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_TINv4TKhk

Advertisement