Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post graduate diploma for maths teachers UL FREE!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

TheBody wrote: »
    Can somebody upload a pic of the paper? I'm not doing the course but am interested to see the kind of questions on the paper.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

more to follow

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Good luck with that... you have 2 1/2 hours starting now...

If anyone wants to discuss any part just right click on the attachments and copy the url. Then you can click on the insert image and paste in the link to bring up the picture in the thread.

331828.jpg

Anyone any hints for the optimisation of the page for the publishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Beaulieu

Google it!! Incredibly a number of the questions obviously have been lifted straight out of textbooks!! Neither the dates nor the figures changed (apart from 1 Q I think).

Here's the link for Weston Publishers

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111109183106AAMMDEK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Thanks for that Armelodie.

• Advertisement

TheBody wrote: »
    Thanks for that Armelodie.

You've 35 mins left btw

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

What about the metric system? Is a course designed to train up maths teachers actually using questions like those two in an exam? Or am I missing something? Could you imagine what an inspector would say if we did this in class? Just typical...

What about the metric system? Is a course designed to train up maths teachers actually using questions like those two in an exam? Or am I missing something? Could you imagine what an inspector would say if we did this in class? Just typical...

I kind of liked the nostalgia of it all with inches. Although there were a few questions during the course in tutorials that were in feet too and im sure I heard the lecturer mention them also.

Think there's vectors coming up after christmas ... and thats off the LC course! ... maybe it'll make a comeback too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

mrboswell wrote: »
    Wow - 2nd paper was was V tough.
    If I somehow pass that I'll be straight out to buy a lotto ticket.

I suspect there will be a lot of people repeating (or is that just me feeling sorry for myself?!?)
    some people I know on the course that are very good a the material said it was tough AND they didn't have time to finish…

:confused:

Was that the exam in EG0010? Most students stayed for the whole duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

No we were in B004 & B005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Looking only at the questions Armelodie has provided - is that not just all maths you'd do in the first year of uni?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ficheall wrote: »
    Looking only at the questions Armelodie has provided - is that not just all maths you'd do in the first year of uni?

That's what I was thinking, it doesn't really go too far beyond LC HL Maths to be honest.

Ficheall wrote: »

Suppose so, if you were doing a maths degree that is. Which if you had done, then you wouldnt be doing this course too.

Anyhow ...there will be more calculus later on in the course, horay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Obviously lifted from some American test. Unbelievable. Really.

spurious wrote: »
    Obviously lifted from some American test. Unbelievable. Really.

I dunno, nobody batted an eyelid about imperial units after the exam. I think its good to work in wierd units too. Some countries still use imperial.

Also the half inch/one inch given made the question a little bit neater (as opposed to mm).
    Come to think of it, a good few of the tutorial/lecture questions never gave the nice and neat 'whole number answer' which really made you question your method. So the lesson I learned is that it wouldnt matter if the units were klingon or Vulcan, mathematicians should be able to do the same maths on any planet (once the laws of physics are similar to earth anyhow).

Well..results were out this week. How did ye get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

If rumours are true that lecturer made a mess of calculus 2 yet again with so many students failing it. Lets just say the pass rate was not set at 40% with the huge number failing it including myself.

The group who just graduated from the course just last month had 120 repeat calculus 2 their year.

I failed cal 2 passed cal 1.
    Disappointed not sure if ill bother repeating.

Anyone else want to share their tuppeance worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Like other posters, I can only nod in disbelief that in this "new" course they're using the imperial system rather than the rational, scientific world standard that is the metric system. That they seem to be taking the questions off some equally regressive US source does not bode well for the quality of the people setting the exam. It's time to move on, no matter how comfortable are great grandparents are with the imperial system.

World use of the metric system

PS: In line with Boards.ie's existing policy, I propose that there be a ban on the imperial system on Boards.ie unless it's accompanied by a translation... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just on this note, we were told in a Project maths inservcie that questions may arise on an exam paper in imperial measurements but that the conversions would be provided to students

Sorry to hear about Calc 2 Blueberrypie.
    A lot of people I know scrapped through with C3's in it. Its a shame about the standard of the paper because the lecturer explained things well in the lectures..the exam paper itself was a different matter.
    Shocking stat about numbers repeating Calc 2 last year tho...

• Advertisement

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Like other posters, I can only nod in disbelief that in this "new" course they're using the imperial system rather than the rational, scientific world standard that is the metric system. That they seem to be taking the questions off some equally regressive US source does not bode well for the quality of the people setting the exam. It's time to move on, no matter how comfortable are great grandparents are with the imperial system.

World use of the metric system

PS: In line with Boards.ie's existing policy, I propose that there be a ban on the imperial system on Boards.ie unless it's accompanied by a translation... :rolleyes:

Its obvious the questions were taken from an american source. BTW the reading list for each module (who reads maths books when you have the internet ) is where some of the assignment questions are sourced, hence the imperial measurements.

I honestly dont think any of the questions were any harder than examples given in the course or tutorials.. it was just impossible to finish in 2 1/2 hours. If you were thinking you were literally wasting time.

Anyhow just gotta make sure all the assignments are 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Hi guys,

Hoping to get on the Math course this year.

I haven't 'done' maths since school, like 10 years ago. Got myself a few books in the library and have been trying my hand at some questions. I actually enjoyed working questions out.

Anyone take on the course without having strong maths skills, as in it wasn't any part of their degree? I'm thinking if it just covers LC maths then I should manage it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Heydeldel wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I haven't 'done' maths since school, like 10 years ago. Got myself a few books in the library and have been trying my hand at some questions. I actually enjoyed working questions out.

Anyone take on the course without having strong maths skills, as in it wasn't any part of their degree? I'm thinking if it just covers LC maths then I should manage it?

Are you currently teaching maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Hi guys,

How are you getting on the course if you haven't done any maths in college at all? Is your school really letting you teach it?!

How are you getting on the course if you haven't done any maths in college at all? Is your school really letting you teach it?!

Yeah that was going to be my next question - I did quite a bit of maths during my degree but don't qualify for the course because I'm not teaching it. I have also got my qualifications checked with UL who told me that I had a solid foundation and my background would qualify me but had to be teaching maths. I wouldn't be very happy that someone who has not done maths since leaving cert would be on the course and especially if they were not teaching it.

Hi guys,

It's a third level qualification. It's going to be third level maths. If it was only LC level wouldn't everyone in the country who has a LC be a qualified maths teacher? :rolleyes:

Are you currently teaching maths?

I am not, no. Have heard from a friend currently completing it that many participants are not teaching maths while on the course.

Yes, I know I *should* be teaching maths to get on the course (hey i’m only sussing it out at this stage). But I want to another teaching subject and this seems a good way to go about it, so why not try for it.

Any Principal I talk to about adding a second subject tells me to take on Maths or Irish. Hence looking into the Maths course. I know it would be a huge amount of work for me but, as teachers we know it’s possible to learn new skills, right?

My original question was to anyone doing the course without a maths background. I bet there are some on it.

I am not, no. Have heard from a friend that many participants are not teaching maths while on the course.

Yes, I know I *should* be teaching maths.

I don't always believe what I hear from others.

It's a third level qualification. It's going to be third level maths. If it was only LC level wouldn't everyone in the country who has a LC be a qualified maths teacher? :rolleyes:

Didn’t you post a while back about the content being mainly LC maths? I know it’ll be third level but sounds like first year of a degree level.

• Advertisement

Didn’t you post a while back about the content being mainly LC maths? I know it’ll be third level but sounds like first year of a degree level.

No, I was giving my reaction to the exam paper that was posted on this forum. Some of the measurements were imperial rather than metric. Some of the comments were that the questions were very difficult, but personally I thought some of them weren't that far off HL LC maths.

The introductory stuff on the course might be of that level, but certainly it should get more difficult, otherwise it wouldn't be worthy of a third level qualification in my opinion.

Advertisement