Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting potted hedges - individual holes or a long trench?

Options
  • 30-08-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭

I am considering planting some potted plants (type yet to be decided) to eventually form a hedge, and was wondering if it would be better to dig a hole for each one, or a long thin trench?

Or does it not matter?

And when I plant them in these holes, what should I put in with them? Thinking compost, fertilizer, etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am considering planting some potted plants (type yet to be decided) to eventually form a hedge, and was wondering if it would be better to dig a hole for each one, or a long thin trench?

Or does it not matter?

And when I plant them in these holes, what should I put in with them? Thinking compost, fertilizer, etc.

I would wait a few more months and get a bunch of bareroots instead.....25 for 15 euro.:)

Have a read of my post here,with pics.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77779465&postcount=9

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks Paddy as always, but I'd rather have them slightly more mature to get up and running quicker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thanks Paddy as always, but I'd rather have them slightly more mature to get up and running quicker.

You can but bare roots in bigger sizes (up to 4-5 feet).

We planted 3.5 feet bareroot hornbeems all around the gardens and they took and grew fantasticly indeed.:)

The very second they were planted,they were pruned back by 6 inches,back down to around 3 feet tall.

Remember,the more mature and bigger the hedging,then harder it might be for it to establish.;)

Best to start off small and give it a good chance to develop into a beautifull full hedge later on in a few years.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Second that. It's said that bare root can take better. And of course will be much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

larger bareroot hedging can be cut back before planting leaving a large reserve in the roots to ensure a good start to the hedge.

if planting from pots it would be better to do individual holes as then the structure and texture of the surrounding soil will be intact and give a better medium to root into for support.

When planting my bareroot hedging i do a as small as possible individual holes for the same reason, cutting out a small square of sod, keeping that intact too by levering out, scoop out remaining soil, prune top, prune roots to fit as necessary as the tree will grow more roots on the prevaling wind side, place tree in corner of cut out square away from prevaling wind direction, replace loose soil and then sod. This method keeps most of the texture and structure of the surrounding soil intact and as sod is intact there is no wind rock problems. Slit planting is also viable and quicker but only better in softer ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When I do plant them, should I just fill hole in again with soil, or does it help to add compost and fertilizer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

My personal view is that the plant will have to get used to the site it is in therefore as most soils have sufficient nutrients for trees I dont add fertiliser when planting. Fertiliser can promote extention growth that is more prone to injust and disease.

If you dig a hole and destroy the structure and texture of the soil then adding compost is only going to make it more difficult for the soil to recover said structure and texture, making the plant more susseptable to windthrow.
    Small hole is better in this case imo :D

further to above post:

Leaver sod out from opposite side that you intend to plant, less damage to the soil then around the roots..
    Orientate hole of square cut sod pointing a corner into prevaling wind direction and plant on the opposite side as trees lay down more roots on windward side naturally.

Advertisement