Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone Wiring - Some wires not connected

Options
  • 30-08-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi
    I am doing some work in the house and my phone socket needs to move to another part of the wall which is fine as there is enough cable however in taking the box off the wall I noticed that only 2 of the wires are connected... The yellow/Orange and white are connected while the green and black are not... My phone and broadband are still working....

Couple of questions...
    The box is ancient and really needs replaced, do the new boxes come with colour indicators to put the wires in?
    AND
    Should the green and black be connected.??? What do they do since my phone and broadband work...

Thanks
    Ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's always the centre 2 pins in the 4pin RJ11 connector. It can be red and green or blue and blue/white, (although I've seen Eircom regularly use the orange and orange/white). It makes no difference what colour as long as the same colours are used either end. Just connect those two to the centre pins of the new socket.
    http://www.cableorganizer.com/telecom-datacom/network-instructions.htm
    http://www.lanshack.com/wire_phone_jack.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Just make sure you use the same colour pair
    like White/Blue and Blue/White
    as these same coloured pairs are twisted.

Its called twisted pair telephone cable (CW-1308)

if you use one orange and one blue then those pairs are not twisted between one another and will pick up interference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

In modern structured cabling systems you tend to use the blue pair first for analogue telephone lines.

Older eircom wiring didn't necessarily follow those colour codes. The standards changed over the decades.

They also often use the orange pair to identify the incoming line from the exchange.

Just use any pair and keep it consistent.

Advertisement