Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does grass seed have a shelf life?

Options
  • 30-08-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I recently (2 weeks ago) seeded a new patch of prepared earth with some seed I got from lidl.
    I didn't have enough and had to buy another kilo from a local hardware shop.
    The lidl grass shot up within days but the other seed hasn't had a single shoot.
    When I brought it back to the hardware shop asking for a replacement box of seed they said I should reseed and wouldn't replace it.
    They said it had rained too much recently and the seed had rotted. They wern't interested in my telling them about the lidl seed being fine.
    I'm convinced the seed they sold me is beyond it's shelf life and is dead.
    Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It's possible but how do you prove it? It's true that it could have rotted but if you sowed them at the same time then there must be something up with it. Is there any sort of date on the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

No date on the box only a batch code.
    It was the 2nd last box the shop had and they are refusing to even ring
    the supplier for me to get the sell by date. I left the remainder of the box with them telling them I'd return and they simply shrugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Zebbedee wrote: »
    I recently (2 weeks ago) seeded a new patch of prepared earth with some seed I got from lidl.
    I didn't have enough and had to buy another kilo from a local hardware shop.
    The lidl grass shot up within days but the other seed hasn't had a single shoot.
    When I brought it back to the hardware shop asking for a replacement box of seed they said I should reseed and wouldn't replace it.
    They said it had rained too much recently and the seed had rotted. They wern't interested in my telling them about the lidl seed being fine.
    I'm convinced the seed they sold me is beyond it's shelf life and is dead.
    Is this possible?

I didint even know lidl sold grass seed lol, was it on one of their specials or do they have it in stock as standard?;)

It was one of their specials a couple of months back.
    I'm sorry now I didn't get more from them.
    And they certainly have a better after sales service than my local hardware shop. I've brought stuff back to them before for no quibble refunds.
    I'm very surprised at the stubborn attitude of the hardware shop staff.
    They are very close to losing my custom permanently if they don't refund or replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

It was one of their specials a couple of months back.
    I'm sorry now I didn't get more from them.
    And they certainly have a better after sales service than my local hardware shop. I've brought stuff back to them before for no quibble refunds.
    I'm very surprised at the stubborn attitude of the hardware shop staff.
    They are very close to losing my custom permanently if they don't refund or replace.

Are you telling me they argued over grass seed???? Hmmmm I dont think i would be going back. Whether you are right or not if it was me i would have just thrown ya a new bag lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Lidl will have autumn grass seed soon. Used it before and was perfect. Lawn looked great the following year. Aldi have the autumn lawn feed in now, grab some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

redser7 wrote: »
    Lidl will have autumn grass seed soon. Used it before and was perfect. Lawn looked great the following year. Aldi have the autumn lawn feed in now, grab some.
    If i have seed left from one year to the next i sow a bit in a pot in the spring it should appear in 10-14 days

td5man wrote: »
    If i have seed left from one year to the next i sow a bit in a pot in the spring it should appear in 10-14 days

Why do you put grass seed into a pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

td5man wrote: »

Why do you put grass seed into a pot?
    To make sure it grows before sowing a large area.

Advertisement