Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC Build - Complete Noob!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Are these components definitely compatible? I need a sanity check before I commit money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why not opt for a dual core Atom board with onboard Nvidia Ion Gpu? Don't let the Atom put you off, it's plenty for a HTPC. The Nvidia Gpu is quite a little powerhouse, perfect for HD. This is passive, requires no added fan for cooling so less noise. Very low power draw, about 30W on full load, 10-15W idle.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-AT5IONT-I-Motherboard-Includes-Graphics/dp/B003OXAGTU/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1346591426&sr=1-4

4GB memory with a second slot for more later
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9-DDR3-Laptop-Memory/dp/B002YU83YO/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1346591751&sr=1-2

Add the case of your choice, this one with 60W is perfect
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-Crypto-Mini-ITX-Case/dp/B004BDXG76/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1346592040&sr=1-9
    I have this one myself
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Mini/24392/JCP+Mini-ITX+Geh%C3%A4use%2C+60W+ext.+PSU%2C+schwarz.article

Hey, thanks for your help. Just so I'm clear, the Atom board is better because it draws less power, has better integrated graphics and is quieter. I don't mind spending the extra money if I'm getting those advantages.

The option for another 4gig ram makes sense.

The new cases you recommend, are they simply because my current one has a way overpowered PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

cooperguy wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for your help. Just so I'm clear, the Atom board is better because it draws less power, has better integrated graphics and is quieter. I don't mind spending the extra money if I'm getting those advantages.

Yes, all of those. Not sure what you're planning for your home network but if you have network storage you could get away without a hard drive, and thereby eliminate all moving parts. OpenElec is a bootable version of XBMC that can boot from SD card or USB key in about 12-15 seconds.
    The option for another 4gig ram makes sense.

You'd never need it for a HTPC. OpenElec is about 150-200MB.
    The new cases you recommend, are they simply because my current one has a way overpowered PSU?

Yes, 300W is overkill and may be noisy. 60W is plenty for this motherboard, it's external to the case (it's a power brick like a laptop charger) and needs no cooling.

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks in no small part to your advice PogMoThoin I have changed round what im buying. Can you (or someone else!) have a quick look over it before I commit. Im afraid ill end up with a pile of components that wont fit together or will catch fire or something!

MB:Asus Atom D525

Hard Drive:Western Digital 2TB SATA 6Gbps

RAM:Corsair 4GB DDR3

Case:I'm stealing your case!

Ok, thanks in no small part to your advice PogMoThoin I have changed round what im buying. Can you (or someone else!) have a quick look over it before I commit. Im afraid ill end up with a pile of components that wont fit together or will catch fire or something!

MB:Asus Atom D525

Hard Drive:Western Digital 2TB SATA 6Gbps

RAM:Corsair 4GB DDR3

Case:I'm stealing your case!

Why not buy all from Hardwareversand? Shipping is €30 per order. That Atom board is a lot cheaper on there too

So I have bought the parts and they are starting to arrive. I think I may have made the first (of probably many!) mistakes of this project.

I bought the case mentioned above and this hard drive. The case arrived today and I have realised it takes a 2.5" HDD. I'm pretty sure the Hard disk is 3.5" (can you confirm?). Im guessing there is no way this will fit into the case? I havent bought a dvd drive so I have extra space.

Im guessing I just have to return it and get a 2.5" drive. Any suggestions for a good one. Im trying to find a high capacity 2.5 inch drive and finding it hard. I saw this Western Digital 2TB Hard Drive - Caviar Green its much more expensive than the 3.5" model though

Oh and I bought all the parts on Amazon because I had vouchers.

That case should have one 3.5" bay but you can easily mount a hard drive in the dvd drive space
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Universal-Mounting-Bracket-Adapter/dp/B0001UZQWG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1349453436&sr=1-1

You could put the hard drive into an external enclosure?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the quick replies guys. There doesnt seem to be a 3.5" Bay. When I looked at the instructions shows how to install a 2.5" HDD and Slim Line dvd drive (I have attached the two pages that came with it).

Id prefer not to go buying an enclosure for the HDD, (sometime in the future I might move the HDD into a NAS but for now id like to keep it all together)

Ill take a look at those brackets, will they work with a slimline 5.25" bay? Thanks PogMoThoin

My girlfriend already thinks im a bit mad for actually trying to build the PC. Buying parts that dont actually fit together isnt going to help that impression :D

It's just expensive Lego. Can't go wrong, you can't actually plug anything in the wrong way, they won't fit, each component has it's own type of connector. Have a Google, there will be a mountain of guides on how to put it together and get it booting an OS. Post back if you have any difficulty

Yes unfortuately your case is designed only for 2.5" drives and what you've got is 3.5".

The slim optical bay format isn't tall enough for 3.5" HDDs so im not aware of any adaptor brackets.

Depending on how much space you have, you might be able to bodge something with a drill or a few adaptor brackets. Its an inverted bracket and it looks like space is very tight. Sit the HDD in and see if it physically can fit in the optical bay bracket.

A better option would be to send back either the HDD or the case. Under the distance selling regulations you can send back either although obviously you'll take a hit on postage.

The case does have a 3.5" bay, I have the same case and you'd easily get 3x 3.5" drives in there if you wanted to.

Edit, on a second look I see I have the slightly bigger version, but this link shows it has a 3.5" bay and with a bit of modding you'd definitely get 2x 3.5 sata's in there.
    http://www.jcp-tech.de/en/produkte/mini_itx/jcp_mi_102_bs.html

Ok all components have arrived!

First definite mistake made! The RAM I bought is DIMM and the slots on the board are SO-DIMM. So that is the first thing I need to return.

I checked the site for the case and it does say there is an internal 3.5" bay. I got the HDD today and im still struggling to see where it will actually fit but ill have a good look at it shortly. I tried googling for images of one mounted in the case to give me an idea but I cant see any.

Edit: Im thinking of buying this RAM as a replacement: 2x 1gb Kingston Valueram 1066MHz SODIMM. Its on the QVL. The manual says if I install 4GB or more in the board it will be limited to 3GB and that for effective use of memory install no more than 3GB. Im probably better off reducing the RAM am I?

I meant to come back here quicker and let ye know how I got on. I changed the RAM and when it arrived I built the PC without much more bother.

I now have a fully functioning HTPC running xbmc. Thanks for all the help!

I meant to come back here quicker and let ye know how I got on. I changed the RAM and when it arrived I built the PC without much more bother.

I now have a fully functioning HTPC running xbmc. Thanks for all the help!

Which XBMC? XBMCbuntu, Openelec or did you go with Windows?

I wanted to run windows so that I could install a few other bits and pieces aswell. So it XBMC running on windows

I wanted to run windows so that I could install a few other bits and pieces aswell. So it XBMC running on windows

Do you not find it terribly slow? I started off with Windows on mine but couldn't stick how laggy it was and tried Openelec and then XBMCbuntu which fly on the hardware.

I did Windows + XBMC and it was silky smooth on a G530. That's a big step from an atom though.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    I did Windows + XBMC and it was silky smooth on a G530. That's a big step from an atom though.
    Well I have been using it for a few weeks now and I have to say I havent had a single issue with it lagging or anything. I would describe it as silky smooth aswell. Press play on a movie, I get almost instant playback etc. etc. maybe that will change over time but at the moment I am very happy with it.

Edit: I decided I would attach the "windows experience" score to give ye an idea of what im working with! The processor is the slowest part, but as I said so far so good!

Advertisement