Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating. Effective study advice for subjects

• 30-08-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hey.
    Repeating this year. Will be studying;
    - English ..aim - A1
    - Biology ..aim - A1
    - Agricultural Science ...aim A1-B1
    - Art ..aim B1-B3
    - Business *new ...aim B1-B3
    - Geography *new ...aim B1-B3

I need to get about, 500? I just need real effective advice to achieve these goals. I have always ended up cramming and I've never put my all into my first LC or college. I know I am capable of more.
    Just not confident on how to tackle and plough on effectively for the high marks??!

Can anyone give me detailed advice on my subjects and achieving the aimed grades? And the points? Like, how to study them, how much time to spend on them, revision books, mocks, revision , notes etc etc

Would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I got A2s in English and geography so I'll try help with those a bit. :)

English: For Paper 1, you can study by reading, and learning stylistic features, practicing and memorising expressions that are nice and add to a short story/personal essay. Synonyms can also help for alliteration. Small things but they add up! Not too sure how to advise you on P2 since I found it pretty straightforward, just learn the stuff and if you improve your expression through the P1 methods theres no reason you wont do well. :)

Geography: Do each question in bullet points, even the options, at least to learn them off - you'll know you have enough SRPs then. I don't know how much of the course you intend to study but as you build up a store of answers it's handy to make acronyms or some other learning aid, and in physical geography try to imagine the processes.

I only got a B3 in business and sort of disliked it in general, so all I can advise there is do exam questions - I didn't do anywhere near as many as I would have liked to have done, and it meant that my knowledge was a bit disorganised because they regularly ask you to compare things which are only outlined separately in the book.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Good luck to the OP - It's a year or two (well, 34 to be precise!) since I did my Leaving, but it strikes me from what I've read on here that an A1 in English isn't easy to guarantee! I would think the same goes for Art, and the Biology course isn't easy to get through, either.

The advice of an old woman would be either to have a plan B if you don't get the A1s you hope for, or else to consider taking some other subjects!

You're obviously a brainy type - so as I say, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Good luck to the OP - It's a year or two (well, 34 to be precise!) since I did my Leaving, but it strikes me from what I've read on here that an A1 in English isn't easy to guarantee! I would think the same goes for Art, and the Biology course isn't easy to get through, either.

The advice of an old woman would be either to have a plan B if you don't get the A1s you hope for, or else to consider taking some other subjects!

You're obviously a brainy type - so as I say, good luck!

Hey. I got B's in Biology and English last time so just hoping to go up to the A's :) Art - a C1 ..so hopefully I'll nudge into the B's

Brainy? Hmmmm If only I would apply myself ! :rolleyes:

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I got A2s in English and geography so I'll try help with those a bit. :)

English: For Paper 1, you can study by reading, and learning stylistic features, practicing and memorising expressions that are nice and add to a short story/personal essay. Synonyms can also help for alliteration. Small things but they add up! Not too sure how to advise you on P2 since I found it pretty straightforward, just learn the stuff and if you improve your expression through the P1 methods theres no reason you wont do well. :)

Geography: Do each question in bullet points, even the options, at least to learn them off - you'll know you have enough SRPs then. I don't know how much of the course you intend to study but as you build up a store of answers it's handy to make acronyms or some other learning aid, and in physical geography try to imagine the processes.

I only got a B3 in business and sort of disliked it in general, so all I can advise there is do exam questions - I didn't do anywhere near as many as I would have liked to have done, and it meant that my knowledge was a bit disorganised because they regularly ask you to compare things which are only outlined separately in the book.

Good luck!

Thanks Patch :) Yeah, with English, I don't think I'll be learning off essays etc this year. I'll probably write and write - develop skills and then learn my quotes and points

So nervous about Geography! Always regretted not taking it for the LC. I just worry about messing up as it's new!

My mom is in Business so I am hoping she can help me a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    Thanks Patch :) Yeah, with English, I don't think I'll be learning off essays etc this year. I'll probably write and write - develop skills and then learn my quotes and points

So nervous about Geography! Always regretted not taking it for the LC. I just worry about messing up as it's new!

My mom is in Business so I am hoping she can help me a bit!

really dont worry about geography i was the exact same nervous as hell during the year and wondering why i took it up and i'd mess it up on the day. But i just kept learning the essays and it was fine.

Its a really interesting subject imo anyway. You'll be fine:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I got an A1 in HL English this year and to be honest, I learnt off most of my stuff. I had my Paper I essay mostly prepared, my Studied poetry (Adrienne Rich), my Comparative (General Vision & Viewpoint) and my Hamlet essay (Techniques of Corruption or whatever).

I was a slow writer and felt under the time pressure I wouldn't be able to produce good enough answers to get me the high grades.

I didn't even answer the Unseen poetry due to time, so I immediately lost 20 marks. You don't have to take my advice, but the reality is that I only lost 20 marks maximum between everything I wrote in the Leaving cert. due to not being able to finish the paper.

Thanks Picture frame!

Anyone have tips for Ag Science or Art? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Thanks Picture frame!

Anyone have tips for Ag Science or Art? :)

Make sure you put alot of time and effort into the project :D
    I can't remember off the top of my head what % it's worth exactly, but I remember I got close enough to full because I put the work in. You'll need to go the extra mile compared to your class mates e.g. a few extra pictures, different information etc...

As for the exam....it's very unpredictable. I just kept doing exam papers, studying the book, revising the revise wise book and reading the farmers journal.

I knew zilch about farming nor did I have a farming background and did quite well in the LC....if I can do it, anybody can :pac::pac::pac:

Thanks guys.

So, in regards to 'study plans' - what advice can ye give me?

College finishes up at 3/4 everyday. Plus, I'll be working at weekends

I was thinking
    - Answer homework to exam standard in evenings/study class
    - reviewing + learning days work in the weekday evening
    - Weekend - reviewing and learning the week's work
    - Study like a maniac on midterms etc etc

I need 500+ ..Is this enough? Any advice ? :confused: I want to follow an effective plan that I know will pay off :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Thanks guys.

So, in regards to 'study plans' - what advice can ye give me?

College finishes up at 3/4 everyday. Plus, I'll be working at weekends

I was thinking
    - Answer homework to exam standard in evenings/study class
    - reviewing + learning days work in the weekday evening
    - Weekend - reviewing and learning the week's work
    - Study like a maniac on midterms etc etc

I need 500+ ..Is this enough? Any advice ? :confused: I want to follow an effective plan that I know will pay off :o

Perhaps you study very effectively but I cannot see how you will get 500+ points if you work at weekends. Presumably you'll be working 6/8 hours at the weekend, then you'll be tired from working so you probably won't get much study done at all at the weekend. And you should really be studying 6/8 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday. So I would say quit the weekend job if you're aiming for high points.

You should be aiming to get higher than a B3 as well in Geography and Business - getting an A1 in English is no easy feat, same with Biology. If the paper does not go according to your plan, at least you'd have Geography/Business as your backup. Good luck.

• Advertisement

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Perhaps you study very effectively but I cannot see how you will get 500+ points if you work at weekends. Presumably you'll be working 6/8 hours at the weekend, then you'll be tired from working so you probably won't get much study done at all at the weekend. And you should really be studying 6/8 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday. So I would say quit the weekend job if you're aiming for high points.

You should be aiming to get higher than a B3 as well in Geography and Business - getting an A1 in English is no easy feat, same with Biology. If the paper does not go according to your plan, at least you'd have Geography/Business as your backup. Good luck.

Thank you for the reply. Believe me, I know what you're saying about working but I am hoping it'll be just one day since we all want weekends hours at work so we'll have to share the hours so probably only work 1 shift and the occasional two. But giving it up isn't an option unfortunately.

Higher than a B3? I am certainly gonna try ;) Hopefully Biology will anyway :) English... hmm I'll try and maintain the B1 at least anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 coffeehead

I got an A1 in English in the Leaving Cert this year (98%) so I can help you on that front! (:
    Hopefully you'll get something from it.
    Before I give you advice for each paper, don't listen to teachers or fellow classmates if/when they say the more pages you write, the better. I personally wrote 2 1/2 pages for my question B and a 4 page essay for the composition. Then for paper 2, I wrote a 4 page essay on Adrienne Rich, 5/6 pages for Comparative and about 3 1/2 for Hamlet. It really is quality, not quantity that counts. The examiner wants to read something original and worthwhile as opposed to learnt off notes.

Paper One:
    Okay, for paper one I cannot stress the importance of practise, practise, practise enough!
    I went through the papers and did Question A's and B's and handed them up to be corrected frequently. Learn off the guidelines for all the different styles of writing for the Comprehension and the layout of an article, letter to the editor, diary entry, etc. for Part B's. Also, take constructive criticism from your English teacher or actively seek it to improve. For the essays, my weakness was writing too much. In the actual exam I wrote 4 pages, but keep it at a maximum of 6. I started getting straight A's when I cut back a bit, you don't have to include every little thing, you just need to answer the question!
    I always did the Speech, regardless of the topic discussed. A good idea is to introduce a quote at the beginning AND end of your essay relating to the topic, in order to make an impression in the examiner's mind. It is also a sign that you're looking for the marks, sometimes you have to be transparent! Learn off several quotes related to your interests and that are quite general, so that they can be manipulated into most essays. Examples: Famous Musicians, Journalists, Sports, etc. I used one from Christopher Hitchens at the beginning and one from Gossip Girl at the end of my essay on Literature!
    It's not impossible to study for the Composition either. Read up on things that interest you Psychology, The Greeks, Developments in Science, it doesn't matter! It will give you a wealth of knowledge to use in a Speech. (: If you read the paper regularly as well(the guardian online is good) you cannot get stuck, as it will improve your vocab and keep you up to date with current affairs too!
    I hope I included everything, i'll add more later if I remember something. :P

Paper Two:
    The Comparative: Learn relevant quotes from every play/novel/film and know the general outline of every story. A useful tip- Do out a sketch for each mode; General Vision and Viewpoint, includes these headings for each paragraph... Text Introduced, Society Depicted(bleak/optimistic), Relationships, Key Moment, Title, Overall tone. Do one for each mode and scribble it down before you lash into your longest essay, it'll keep you focused on the question.
    Common sense, but remember to compare and contrast every text/film/play, but don't waffle! cover one heading per paragraph and include all three in it if it's a 70 mark question. There's also a 30 and a 40 mark question for each mode that comes up (you'll have an option of two modes, with two questions in each one to choose from a 70 mark and 30/40 mark). In this case, you talk about one text exclusively for about 3 pages and then compare and contrast the other two for another three pages. I preferred the latter personally!

The Single Text:I did Hamlet, and most people will do a Shakespearian text. Macbeth is on this year I think. Do not learn notes off by heart and try to form your own opinion on the characters and look at them as objectively as possible, including their strengths and weaknesses. Question and analyze the texts and the matieral you're given, don't go solely on what your teacher says as it's usually the most popular critique of the play, to be safe. I had a different teacher for 5th and 6th year, the one for 6th year encouraged debate and questioning the general opinion in a much greater depth than my previous teacher, and that helped so much! Look up alternative outlooks and include it in your essay- nothing too off the wall though! Ensure it's a reliable source. It'll impress them and convey outside reading! Learn a lot of quotes, as much as you can and learn most of every soliliquay, so if the character of Macbeth comes up, then you have enough information to get by. I read and re-read the notes a lot, other than quotes, I learnt nothing off by heart for this section! Cover a few themes and characters and you should be fine, just know a sketch of each one and most importantly, know your text as much as possible!

Poetry: Basically, be clever when studying and don't study just the ''predictions'' as most people got caught out this year by following them! Study all the female poets, they have to put up at least one female or they'd appear to be sexist..also an Irish poet is generally guaranteed as a rule of thumb too. My teacher told me to know 6 poems by every poet I studied as it's actually in the syllabus. 4 isn't enough! I picked out all the main quotes from each poem with a description of what it means beside it, and then added extra here and there of my own interpretations. I also had Theme, Tone, Imagery, Language(accessible/aphoristic,etc) included with each poem, so I could easily link poems with the same/similar themes in a row, to make my essay flow better. By the way, don't just do Sylvia and Heaney because they didn't make an appearance this year! Sylvia Plath came up two years in a row in 2004, they could easily do the same with Rich. Equally, they could have a horrible question on her! Cover all bases. :)

Unseen Poetry:The most significant thing is to include the personal pronoun ''I'' as much as possible. It's a personal response, so keep referring back to yourself and why it resonates with you. Read it carefully and read it a few times if needs be. It should be an easy twenty marks, don't worry about your interpretation being ''right.'' It should be fine as long as you back up your response with quotes and an explanation of what you're saying after. :)

Best of luck, hope it helps! :)

Advertisement