Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy hand tools?

Options
  • 30-08-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi guys im a chippy and need a new set of chisels and auger bits, been looking on line not proving easy.A lot of crap out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

There's a lot of different places online but firstly I assume you know about Mcquillans in blance and in capel street in dublin?
    Also, www.rutlands.co.uk do a delivery to Europe and are fairly well stocked that way. Depends what exactly you want, quality and how much your willing to spend really. There are a lot of places out there...

Hope this helps

Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

A nice box set of marples can be got for under €100. I have them and boy are they good and diamond stones to sharpen them as well. I have a set of argur bits from Aldi and they do what I need for shopfitting, hanging doors etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Heard the aldi bits were supposed to be top notch. Galway dude i reckon tripart is hard beat for service.

Ya Tripart is a class shop alright! I have to close my eyes when I go past to stop the temptation of going in for a look around or buying either :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

Whats caufields like?seems to be well stocked anyways accordin to website.

• Advertisement

Ya they are good as well. There shop out in Oranmore is supposed to be very good compared to the one on the tuam road. There is also a small tool shop up by dunness stores in eyre square that is very good as well. The name escapes me but they sell very good quality tools like dewalt and makita etc.

Also Caulfields are selling festool now as well but don't know what there stock of it is like compared to Tripart.

Where's their Place In Oranmore?

DaCor wrote: »
    Where's their Place In Oranmore?

I'm not sure. You would need to ring them to find out but I know they defiantly have a place out there

Whats stopping you buying online, have you computer experience?

well a couple of reasons, buying from the states you will be hit in customs when it arrives and it will cost more than here, and im vat registered so wont be able to claim back on goods from outside ireland.

• Advertisement

Go to www.axminster.co.uk and you can claim the vat back off them as well. I have bought a lot of tools off them and their customer service is class as well.

Well, I have bought quite a bit of stuff outside Europe and I have NEVER been caught by customs. I think if your talking under 150 or so its safe enough. Also, if its a personal address as apposed to a business address ( which they tend to target more ) then its even better. I've just ordered a few convex planes from lie-nelson in the usa. I have them coming via surface mail so we'll see if they get held. Doubt it though...:)

Also, like I said before www.rutlands.co.uk is good, you could get the vat back there somehow i,m sure . I've ordered from them many times.

I got a part for my drill, brushes and switch and i got hit for 40 euro and the parts wer only worth 50. some joke.always get hit with anything from the states.

Advertisement