Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got "The Talk" in work today

• 30-08-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I was called to the boses office today.
    Very nice very pleasant but very blunt..
    If buisness dosent pick up in the next 6 weeks (unlikely) My job is gone after nearly ten years... 52 years old, statuary redundancy payment..
    Not the best Thursday I have had this year.
    Wonder where I will be in a years time.
    Still in shock and denial that things have got to this point.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

By "the talk" do you really mean "the ride";)
    Way to go bro!

probably not so so sorry bro :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

cook meth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

AH is not the best place to post this - you'll get nothing constructive here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

i was going to make a joke about you getting some sort of talk related to sex education, but then your post and then my face :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

You are very old for a prostitute anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Sorry to hear mate. But this is the time for re-inventing yourself, so though it mightn't feel that way, this could end up being the best thing to ever happen to you. I lost my job at the very start of the recession and, thankfully, that turned out to be the case.

Either way, 6 weeks is a long way away and things can change. So at least you've time to come to terms with the shock and get thinking about your possible next chapter. Good luck, whatever happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Jez, how did you go so many years without knowing bout the birds and the bees?

(crap) joking aside, I wish you luck and hope something works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

well it most defo was not for spending too much time on boards!!!!!

Any how really sorry to hear that. Know a few in your situation like myself!!!!

Anyhow wont give all the sh1te cliches but i would like to wish you the best of luck!!

dvpower wrote: »
    huh:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Only statutory?

The talk may have been pleasant but that's a miserable fecker

Push hard for something better if it goes that way

• Advertisement

I was called to the boses office today.
    Very nice very pleasant but very blunt..
    If buisness dosent pick up in the next 6 weeks (unlikely) My job is gone after nearly ten years... 52 years old, statuary redundancy payment..
    Not the best Thursday I have had this year.
    Wonder where I will be in a years time.
    Still in shock and denial that things have got to this point.

Well, it could have been worse, the number of businesses that vanish leaving the staff high and dry has been on the increase.

Sad to hear, I suspect that they'll be many similar stories in the coming months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Apart for backseat mods. :rolleyes:

He probably just wants to share it, rather than get advice/shoulder to cry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Apart for backseat mods. :rolleyes:

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Dean09 wrote: »
    Banned.

Holy sh1t! , I got such a hop there.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭foozzybear61

racso1975 wrote: »
    well it most defo was not for spending too much time on boards!!!!!

Any how really sorry to hear that. Know a few in your situation like myself!!!!

Anyhow wont give all the sh1te cliches but i would like to wish you the best of luck!!

I will have more time for posting rants now for sure:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Sorry to hear that OP.

Try to remain positive, your ideal job could be waiting round the corner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

What area you in? Sorry to hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Actually, you might. Make your company some money. Sell harder, think of new products/strategies. Work harder/hard, quit clockwatching and "putting in the hours".
    I've sacked a SHEDLOAD of people, none made me any money. Make your company some money, even €20 more than you cost to employ every week. No-one sacks an earner, even if they are a tosser, so make money, job is secure, everyone goes home in one piece, It's all about the money, bro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

phasers wrote: »
    cook meth

Yeah, bitch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Tough place to be man this is what it felt like when i got laid off. keep the chin up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

By "the talk" do you really mean "the ride";)
    Way to go bro!

probably not so so sorry bro :(

Is that supposed to be funny?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hey Fozzybear.

Drop me a private message if you want me to move this thread elsewhere:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?do=newpm&u=76047

We have a work and jobs forum if you're looking for advice.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10

AH is not really the best place if you're actually looking for help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

/wipes tear. Dr B has a heart :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Chucken wrote: »

its runs on orphans tears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Chucken wrote: »

I suspect this is one of his devious tricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Don't feel bad OP. Humanity is only a transient period in the greater scheme of things. What happens in your life, along with anyone else's life for that matter, is inconsequential.

You can find empowerment from this situation if you're willing to look hard enough.

krudler wrote: »
    its runs on orphans tears
    kowloon wrote: »
    I suspect this is one of his devious tricks.

Stop it :mad:

Don't feel bad OP. Humanity is only a transient period in the greater scheme of things. What happens in your life, along with anyone else's life for that matter, is inconsequential.

You can find empowerment from this situation if you're willing to look hard enough.

Well thats great news :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Pottler wrote: »
    Actually, you might. Make your company some money. Sell harder, think of new products/strategies. Work harder/hard, quit clockwatching and "putting in the hours".
    I've sacked a SHEDLOAD of people, none made me any money. Make your company some money, even €20 more than you cost to employ every week. No-one sacks an earner, even if they are a tosser, so make money, job is secure, everyone goes home in one piece, It's all about the money, bro.

He's worked in the same company for 10 years and is facing redundancy.

Not exactly the best time for an ill-timed pep-talk.

That's more depressing than the first post. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

kowloon wrote: »
    That's more depressing than the first post. :(

Only if you choose to feel that way about it.

He's worked in the same company for 10 years and is facing redundancy.

Not exactly the best time for an ill-timed pep-talk.

If it was simply a case of him not being good at his job I doubt he would have been in it for 10 years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

If the worst comes to the worst and you do lose your job OP maybe think about retraining with this crowd http://www.springboardcourses.ie/. Its free apart from the travel and materials costs.

I have recently completed my first year of a part-time two year finance degree and there was lots of people who joined throughout the first semester depending on when they were made unemployed.

The people on my course are between the ages of 30 to 60 and most were out of education for decades, so dont feel like you are too old. Its gruelling work but if you put in the effort it is very rewarding.

I was also suprised at the amount of people who dropped out, some people were not able for it but most lacked effort, out of a class of 30 there is now about 12 people left including moi, ffs its a free degree. But anyhow think about it, I am sure there might be something of interest to you on the site.

PS I hope everything works out with your job:).

i was going to make a joke about you getting some sort of talk related to sex education, but then your post and then my face :(
    True. I decided to take the hit and be the bad guy for this one.

Sorry to hear that though OP.
    Keep the chin up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

What does your company do/sell OP? We'll all avail of it's product/service for the next six weeks and keep you in a job :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Pottler wrote: »

Now thats good advice

You got 6 weeks to save your job

4 Words

HUSTLE LIKE A MOTHERF*CKER

What does your company do/sell OP? We'll all avail of it's product/service for the next six weeks and keep you in a job :cool:

I would not hold out too much hope with a jar of coins, unless it is 2 euro coins and then it all depends on the size of the jar.;)

Thats actually a good idea. I'll do it. If I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Maybe he's an undertaker. I have loads of people I've been meaning to kill and could do it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

The first depressing thing was the OP's post.

The second depressing thing was Pottler's reply.

The third depressing thing was the reminder that in a few months, the OP might be perceived as part of an indiscriminate troup of layabouts, shirkers and maybe even cheats: the unemployed, who motivate such ire amongst a small band of users.

later12 wrote: »
    The first depressing thing was the OP's post.

The second depressing thing was Pottler's reply.

The third depressing thing was the reminder that in a few months, the OP might be perceived as part of an indiscriminate troup of layabouts, shirkers and maybe even cheats: the unemployed, who motivate such ire amongst a small band of users.

Theres no might about it.

Anyone thats unemployed is fair game here, its such a pity that like jar-of-coins suggestion.....daft as it seems?! we could actually help each other out here???!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

maybe think about retraining with this crowd http://www.springboardcourses.ie/.

I have recently completed my first year of a part-time two year finance degree .

a degree in just 2 years part time ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

You're 52 years old and you post on boards?

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

How old are you tommy?

Did you think there was an age limit?

Not everyone here is still in school.

I'm not too far behind the OP in age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

What's the fcuking problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Sorry to hear that OP. On the plus side (small mercies) you have six weeks to get your head around it. It's not long but it's better than nothing. Do your sums, cut your outgoings, get your cv sorted, start looking around. You never know your look, it could be a case of right place right time. And 52 is not that old, focus on what you have going for you, not what you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭ronano

I'm sorry op :( horrible situation to be in, go in do your work but plan the future.

Cut back on frills, find savings every way you can so it has less of an impact on your day to day living/finances. If you go into the social welfare, get the documents now and hand them in from day one of being unemployed.

Talk to your family, they love you and will want to help, some people find it hard to lose the role of provider but talking will make it easier and plans clearer.

Get everything you possible can in regards to social welfare, you're not a leech just in a crappy situation. If you've always wanted to study something look into it now.

Good luck :)

green123 wrote: »
    a degree in just 2 years part time ?

Yes it is a level 8 honours degree, the onus is put on yourself to make the most of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement