Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got "The Talk" in work today

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

tough break OP.

but you never know what life throws at you - what seems like a disaster now could well end up being the best thing that ever happens to you.

Try to keep positive - you will be fine. Life goes on and you will find something else to fill in the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

OP it's never too late to start over! My mam is a year older than you and in the second year of a degree COMPLETELY unrelated to anything she did before :)

This could be an amazing chance for you to retrain, go back to education, or take your career in another direction.

Things are quite gloomy at the moment, but they aren't utterly hopeless. Don't forget that. There is always a way and this, like everything else in life, will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

He's worked been in the same company for 10 years and is facing redundancy because they are not making enough money.

Exactly the best time for a pep-talk.
    Thanks Star, I am encouraged by your encouragement. :DCheers! I thought it was a good pep-talk too. Probably wasted though as he's toast, but worth trying, eh? I'd have been better off going-"Gosh OP, so sorry to hear that, tough break old fella, all the best for the future, jeez, lifes a bitch eh"-useless but nice. Hustle like a mothafucka OP. Works every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭MusicalMelody

Im so sorry OP but hopefully in the six weeks you have you can come to terms with everything and start to make plans for the future. I hope with whatever you decide to do it works out for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Sorry OP

It truly isn't the end of the world, I know someone who was laid off when he was 49, he drives a taxi now and has for the last 5 years, he loves the independence of doing that even if he makes less money. But he thought he would never get another job.

I wish you well and hope it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Steal the company cheque book and or credit card.

squod wrote: »
    Steal the company cheque book and or credit card.
    Now you're talking! Hustle has many colours. This one's darker, but it's still hustle!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

You're 52 years old and you post on boards?

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit !

Lots of older posters on boards. AH maybe not so much but over in the more serious forums yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Pottler wrote: »
    Actually, you might. Make your company some money. Sell harder, think of new products/strategies. Work harder/hard, quit clockwatching and "putting in the hours".
    I've sacked a SHEDLOAD of people, none made me any money. Make your company some money, even €20 more than you cost to employ every week. No-one sacks an earner, even if they are a tosser, so make money, job is secure, everyone goes home in one piece, It's all about the money, bro.

When did he say he was clockwatching and 'putting in the hours'? How do you know?

What a condescending post. Also thinly veiled, 'i'm rich and important' post.

• Advertisement

Kimia wrote: »
    When did he say he was clockwatching and 'putting in the hours'? How do you know?

What a condescending post. Also thinly veiled, 'i'm rich and important' post.
    You're wrong. I'm from a really poor family, no.1. I work really, really hard, no.2 I also hire and fire a fair few people so I generally know the criteria for which gets which. If your jobs under threat, put the pedal down, it might not save your existing role, but the company SHOULD notice and quietly offer a sideways move or an upwards move into another department/opportunity. Unless the whole ship is fecked, in which case, accept it and move on. There is ALWAYS another opportunity, no matter how bleak things appear at the moment. I was not trying to be condescending, I was offering my opinion. Honestly. Also, I'm never "thinly veiled", I'm usually brutally obvious. Like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Bloody shame, damn fine chap that foozzybear61, still, musn't grumble chin up old man. You should do what what I do when I'm feeling melancholy... I pretend i'm playing the trombone!

/sorry about your news, hope this cheers you up, best of luck!
    marzic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I was called to the boses office today.
    Very nice very pleasant but very blunt..
    If buisness dosent pick up in the next 6 weeks (unlikely) My job is gone after nearly ten years... 52 years old, statuary redundancy payment..
    Not the best Thursday I have had this year.
    Wonder where I will be in a years time.
    Still in shock and denial that things have got to this point.

@OP: Me auld da was around your age when he lost his job in the 80's recession, I was too young to understand all the economic stuff, yet old enough to see that it very nearly broke him, and to this day I am furious with how he/they were treated, yet proud of the way he kept everything together..

Its a different world now, adapt, change, you have many options nowadays that they did'nt have back then..

the Christy Moore song - ordinary man, always reminds me of my Da and even though he is no longer alive, I am proud to be his son.

/wipes tear from eye
    best of luck Foozzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

nice_very wrote: »
    @OP: Me auld da was around your age when he lost his job in the 80's recession, I was too young to understand all the economic stuff, yet old enough to see that it very nearly broke him, and to this day I am furious with how he/they were treated, yet proud of the way he kept everything together..

Its a different world now, adapt, change, you have many options nowadays that they did'nt have back then..

the Christy Moore song - ordinary man, always reminds me of my Da and even though he is no longer alive, I am proud to be his son.

/wipes tear from eye
    best of luck Foozzy

Very nice post. I can tell from your post that he brought up a very respectable man and Im sure you done him proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

OP you do realise the dole scrounger is the enemy of AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

Pottler wrote: »
    You're wrong. I'm from a really poor family, no.1. I work really, really hard, no.2 I also hire and fire a fair few people so I generally know the criteria for which gets which. If your jobs under threat, put the pedal down, it might not save your existing role, but the company SHOULD notice and quietly offer a sideways move or an upwards move into another department/opportunity. Unless the whole ship is fecked, in which case, accept it and move on. There is ALWAYS another opportunity, no matter how bleak things appear at the moment. I was not trying to be condescending, I was offering my opinion. Honestly. Also, I'm never "thinly veiled", I'm usually brutally obvious. Like it or not.
    He's not getting fired, it's redundancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sorry to hear OP. This whole country is a mess. Nearly everyone I know over 45 is redundant now.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear OP. This whole country is a mess. Nearly everyone I know over 45 is redundant now.
    Glad I don't know you so, jinx.:D

Advertisement