Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading graphics card

Options
  • 30-08-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I had a thread originally about upgrading an old Vostro but have now limited it to the GPU. The specs of the machine are as follows:

Core 2 Duo e8400 CPU @ 3GHz
    4GB DDR2-800 RAM
    300w standard power supply

I want to use the machine for gaming (Skyrim at medium settings would be great but high settings even better) and for 3d modelling/game design in Blender.

The Vostro-200 is the mini tower model, not the slimline case. If you guys need more info would be happy to oblige.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

PSU is likely the biggest issue - on that basis a AMD 7750

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

What if I wanted to upgrade the PSU? What would I have to consider?

EDIT: Just checked the specs for that card and it recommends at least 400w PSU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It'll be fine. I've an older Optiplex with a 300w PSU and I've a 6670 in it. PC World are actually flogging off 6670's for 49.99 at the moment....good deal and perfect for your system. They're Asus cards, the 'gamer' version is still high enough in price but the 'media' edition in a green box is 49.99...only difference is something like 20mhz difference in clock speed i.e almost none.

It's the same as this one. I had to take off the outer plastic casing on mine for it to fit in the case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

PC World are actually flogging off 6670's for 49.99 at the moment....good deal and perfect for your system. They're Asus cards, the 'gamer' version is still high enough in price but the 'media' edition in a green box is 49.99...only difference is something like 20mhz difference in clock speed i.e almost none.

Can this be used with dual monitors? I see it only has one DVI so can an adapter be got to connect a second monitor via one of the HDMI ports?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Nah, best to stay clear of Superflower's cheap PSUs.

You'll probably be okay with a 7750. It uses below 100W. The wolfdale/conroes were very low energy consumption and use less than many modern systems. You're not even overclocking. Probably no more than 100W for the rest of the system. Below 150W anyway.

Dell usually use Delta PSUs which aren't fantastic or anything, but they'll deliver what they say.

Advertisement