Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The CMP milk crate

Options
  • 30-08-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

One of the wonders of modern engineering, I have seen these babies used as steps for painting, plastering, for holding up boats, bikes even small cars. Have seen them used for sledges when it snowedyou name it they had a use. Like lots of old Cork things not as many around as their usedto be

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Good post. I haven't seen one in a long time. They were useful for sitting on if there was nothing else to hand. Anyone have any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I've a pair screwed together for a hopup, used them today cleaning my windows.
    I remember when they were everywhere, red - CMP, blue - Ballinahina.
    I got 200 damaged ones from CMP FOC about 20yrs ago to make a soakpit.
    The ones made later were very flimsy and not much use for standing on.
    The very early ones were made of steel, indesructable, I remember using them to support a car before those fancy axial stands were invented.

Good post. I haven't seen one in a long time. They were useful for sitting on if there was nothing else to hand. Anyone have any photos?
    Here's mine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

When I was painting on sites a few years back, we use to have set of these crates tied together. Best thing ever, although you had to be very mindful of fellas trying to steal them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

jamesbere wrote: »
    When I was painting on sites a few years back, we use to have set of these crates tied together. Best thing ever, although you had to be very mindful of fellas trying to steal them :D

Not to mention the paranoid Health & Safety inspectors and their attitude to such platforms.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Not to mention the paranoid Health & Safety inspectors and their attitude to such platforms.

I remember seeing a painter with a pair shoes screwed to the crates so that he could move around without having to get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

There were lots of crates used as steps up to Caravans/even houses around Crosser, In fact between Fords' boxes and CMP milk crates Cork was a bit like Ikea before there was an Ikea :D

I'm going to Crosser tomorrow for the classic car show, I hav'nt been there for a long time.
    If I have time I'll go up to Graball for a few photos of Ford box bungalows if there's any left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Great burning in them for back in the day when having a few cans in the fields.

Not a Fords box bungalow anywhere to be seen in Crosser, but I did spot one of the old metal milk crates in a hedge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

I'd say all the auld Fords boxes have morphed into houses or bungalows, I think as a child I remember seeing either a green bus or it might have been a railway carraige being used as a summer house, to my childish eyes it looked the coolest "house" ever and I wanted to live in it, God that steel milk crate must be pretty indistructable. :)

Catalpa1 wrote: »
    I'd say all the auld Fords boxes have morphed into houses or bungalows, I think as a child I remember seeing either a green bus or it might have been a railway carraige being used as a summer house, to my childish eyes it looked the coolest "house" ever and I wanted to live in it, God that steel milk crate must be pretty indistructable. :)

There was a bus, a railway wagon and a tram on Camden Rd used as holiday homes.
    I don't know what became of the bus or the wagon, but the tram was rescued by a few guys from the UK for restoration.

Advertisement