Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charity Chuggers

• 30-08-2012 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Chuggers being the nickname for people collecting for charity on the street.

In dublin ye will all be familiar with concern and trocaire trying to get you to sign up to a direct debit on the street.

I heard a supervisor giving an interview on the radio a couple of days ago.

basically each chugger signs up an average of 2 people a day at e12 a month he said.

that would mean about a third of everything raised by these chuggers goes towards paying their wages and that doesnt include their on street supervisors and office admin staff.

it has gotten to the point that the more i find out about charities the more disillusioned i get.

it seems that most of the money raised by charities goes on paying their own employees!

Are there any good charities left where most of the money finds its way to its advertised target?

There should be a law that if a charity doesnt get at least 75% to the needy they are struck off the list of charities.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

The 'Ch' in 'chugger' stands for charity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It's one of those things that by paying people to 'chug', the charity raise more money for the charity then if they didnt hire chuggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Chuggers being the nickname for people collecting for charity on the street.

How informative. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomtherobot

There should be a law that if a charity doesnt get at least 75% to the needy they are struck off the list of charities.

In effect there is no law on charity in this country. A charity act was put through a few years ago but the government says it can't afford to implement it.

So basically, anything goes. 100% of what these chuggers take in could be going to them, nothing to stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭kentreaper

Chuggers are everywhere - NYC, London, Paris

Ignore them and give to charity when you want to

Just say you've no bank details with you - and they soon shut up

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

It's annoying enough when they're in the city centre, it's really annoying when the ****ers call door to door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It's one of those things that by paying people to 'chug', the charity raise more money for the charity then if they didnt hire chuggers.

so you're suggesting that the ends justify the means?

I think they've started telephone marketing aswell. I don't have a landline but they must have my folks no coz they said they've been called a few times. Anyone else had this?

don't think so grout - but its a fact

It's hardly immoral to chug, they offer a service for people that want to give to charity. They dont force people to sign up, they just inform people of the charity's work and if people want to support the charity then they can.

• Advertisement

That's exactly how Nazi Germany started!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Wish it was my job...

Mate of mine works for some Animal Charity, makes up to 200-250 on hot days, and anywhere between 100-150 on normal days..

Beats my crappy 12hour job...

AnonoBoy wrote: »

By chuggers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sadly op, charities are a business.
    I am not going to paint every charity with the same brush. Some surely are good. But the majority are out to make money for themselves.

You can understand why there are so many charities when you step back and look at them ..... you dont have to pay tax, you can create what ever job you want & salary you want for yourself and you decide the percentage that gets given for charity.

AnonoBoy wrote: »

But call them Nazi's on the street and you're the bad guy :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Yeah, the way it works is say for example the charity has an advertising budget of €50,000, it pays chuggers a fiver for each person they sign up, and the rest goes to the charity. So it they sign up 10,000 people at €12 a pop, the charity makes €70,000 the first month, and €120,000 each month after that. So it makes sense to do it!

Still think chuggers are a pain in the arse though... :p

But, do you have to be a Nazi to be a chugger?

:o

BOF666 wrote: »
    the charity makes €70,000 the first month, and €120,000 each month after that. So it makes sense to do it!

Sense for them but not sense for us to tolerate it if the money is just going on CEO salaries, expense accounts, bonus payments etc.

I've heard a rumour that one of the CEO's of the Irish charities is on a total package of 800k per year and even though some journalists know about it, don't have enough proof to publish.

Meanwhile this same charity is out playing the poor mouth looking for more of your money to squander.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Akarinn wrote: »
    Wish it was my job...

Mate of mine works for some Animal Charity, makes up to 200-250 on hot days, and anywhere between 100-150 on normal days..

Beats my crappy 12hour job...
    You do know that about 90% of positions on job websites are for commission-based sales roles like these, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I despise them personally for lots of reasons, mostly because I loathe the type of person who has 'the stuff' for being a chugger, fake, shallow, feigned manic happiness... ugh. Just ugh.

I also dislike the way you'd be afraid to make eye contact or smile at someone walking down the street nowadays for fear they will harass you, and any experience I had with them has been harassment. A simple 'no thanks' rarely works.

Also the way that its presented as being for charity. 'Its' not for charity, only 'some' of it is, and from what I hear its very little of whats actually being given.

• Advertisement

Sense for them but not sense for us to tolerate it if the money is just going on CEO salaries, expense accounts, bonus payments etc.

I've heard a rumour that one of the CEO's of the Irish charities is on a total package of 800k per year and even though some journalists know about it, don't have enough proof to publish.

Meanwhile this same charity is out playing the poor mouth looking for more of your money to squander.....

Not sure how true this is either - Something like 1-2% for the big charities is spent on salaries. Though 1-2% of 100 odd million these charities make is still 1-2 million euro of wages.

On the Nazi subject, I saw a TV quiz show in Oslo recently where the contestant was asked - 'what was Hitler's first name?'

The reply was 'Heil' .......

Not sure how true this is either - Something like 1-2% for the big charities is spent on salaries. Though 1-2% of 100 odd million these charities make is still 1-2 million euro of wages.

I don't know where you're getting this from? From what i've seen the average would be about 80% which will be justified as the cost of delivering the charity. What you'll find is that charities rarely publish reputable figures for individual salaries, such as the CEO, and where they are publish won't give a full renumeration figure to include expenses, bonuses, company car etc.

Peetrik wrote: »
    A simple 'no thanks' rarely works

A firm palm-hand gesture - with the words (said clearly) - NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER - usually gets the point across

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I despise them personally for lots of reasons, mostly because I loathe the type of person who has 'the stuff' for being a chugger, fake, shallow, feigned manic happiness... ugh. Just ugh..

Personally, I hate 'chuggers'
    Sure on one hand I understand people doing it may need to pay for college fees (etc) A means to an end type of thing.

But thats certainly not the case with them all. Like what trait do you have inside yourself to have no issue just being a false bastard trying to squeeze money out of someone? Giving it the hard sell to someone who just wants to mind their own business walking down a road. Wan*kers to be honest.

But it has to be said, the way 'chuggers' act is coming from upper management. Passed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

kentreaper wrote: »
    A firm palm-hand gesture - with the words (said clearly) - NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER - usually gets the point across

:p

Oh I get my point across with no confusion (insert evil laugh), my issue is that even 'no thanks' shouldn't be necessary. I can see then dayglow vest, I understand you claim to be representing a charity. If I was interested I would have come over to you to give you money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its the ones who dance up to you like a lost fcuking puppy I hate. You see them a mile away, you purposefuly avoid eye contact, look at shop windows, change your trajectory to veer off instead of walk straight towards them, but no, they've spotted you. Here comes the crusty fake smiling gee whiz isnt life all rainbows and sh1t how are ya mate got a minute for something or other? fcuk off you beanie wearing in the summertime art school dropout cuuuuunts.

If I was interested I would have come over to you to give you money.

Good retort!

krudler wrote: »
    Its the ones who dance up to you like a lost fcuking puppy I hate. You see them a mile away, you purposefuly avoid eye contact, look at shop windows, change your trajectory to veer off instead of walk straight towards them, but no, they've spotted you. Here comes the crusty fake smiling gee whiz isnt life all rainbows and sh1t how are ya mate got a minute for something or other? fcuk off you beanie wearing in the summertime art school dropout cuuuuunts.

Did it take you 25,000 posts to come up with that?

Get a chugger job - it'd improve your brain.

:(

• Advertisement

But cost you your soul.....

But cost you your soul.....

Sole actually Tom

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Damn those charity charity muggers

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

can you give me an example of a large charity that spends 2% or less on the enployees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Namlub wrote: »
    Damn those charity charity muggers

They regret it when they ask *chunchers for donations.

*chugger punchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

that would mean about a third of everything raised by these chuggers goes towards paying their wages and that doesnt include their on street supervisors and office admin staff.

it seems that most of the money raised by charities goes on paying their own employees!

That's why I don't give to any of these types of Charities, just spen to much on admin, sales and staff.
    Its not that the charities are are not for good causes, but very little flows to the end a lot is spent on what was said above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Did it take you 25,000 posts to come up with that?

Yes, I've been on here since 2005 just waiting for this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Biggins wrote: »
    At least England is trying to get them under better control: http://www.thejournal.ie/new-laws-for-face-to-face-fundraisers-in-uk-566434-Aug2012/

I think the charity act that came through here a few years back was supposed to control them also but that's been put on hold coz the government can't afford it. There's an interesting thread over in volunteerism on whether the charities themselves should have to pay the cost of regulation:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056711051

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

getting really pi$$ed off with these chuggers lately, I have my earphones in 99% of the time walking around dublin and they still try to talk to you, very rude. then iv noticed that if you say your busy they start saying stuff like oh busy are ya?in a sarcastic tone, its making me never want to give to charity again. wonder do they get many people to sign up? who in their right mind would give their bank details to a stranger on the street who is getting 15 euro an hour to do the job??madness. even when you tell them your a student they still have the neck to ask you to sign up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭WanabeOlympian

I've had a woman try to sign me up to a charity via direct debit on street in dublin. When i said i wouldn't give my bank details to a complete stranger she said... so you want to see the children starve and die, do you? Obviously i had to reply.. by shouting 'let the b@stards die', followed by a big dirty laugh. I obviously don't mean that, I give 21 euro a month away to trocaire but you'd want to see the look of shock on her face. Priceless :)

• Advertisement

I've started asking them to donate to my charity.

It involves them going to the local Spar and buying me beer because I'm barred from there after what is now referred to as the '3am doughnut and Mr. Muscle incident'. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

just after thinking of a funny chugger story, it was last summer and got stopped by a chugger girl, she was like hey what you up to?I said just shopping because im heading to majorca next week, i had about 7 bags of clothes i had just bought, then she asked me to sign up for the charity, I said iv no money im a student lol it was a charity for Irish kids living in poverty, then I said to be honest id rather give my money to the African kids which is true for some reason.

Advertisement