Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which director's cuts are better than their theatrical release?

• 30-08-2012 11:45pm

There have been a few instances where the director's cuts of movies have turned out far more superior than their original theatrical release.

I have just finished watching Kingdom of Heaven and I found it surprising just how much better the director's cut was - had it been released in the cinema, it would have made for an excellent cinema outing - an overture with an intermission. It really is a pity that the version we got in cinemas wasn't as good, even though it wasn't terrible.

People have said that the director's cut of Daredevil is also better than the theatrical release, which was somewhat terrible, so that's going to be my next watch.

What other director's cuts have been better than their theatrical releases and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Blade Runner. The DC leaves the viewer with more questions at the end and leaves you to make up your own mind instead of being spoon fed an ending with an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Im going to weigh in with Aliens , the special edition amongst other things added the kick ass sentry gun scene :D i think overall the scenes added created more atmosphere and enhanced an already great movie.

However i will concede the normal edition is a tight faster paced cut, depends what your in the mood for i suppose.

Also Apocolpyse Now Redux, an already great film which with the extra scenes etc really shows a mans decent into darkness, sections of the film almost feel like a dream, we also get extra time with Colonel Kurtz , played by the great marlon brando.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Also Apocolpyse Now Redux, an already great film which with the extra scenes etc really shows a mans decent into darkness, sections of the film almost feel like a dream, we also get extra time with Colonel Kurtz , played by the great marlon brando.
    You are probably one of the few who think it's an improvement on the theatrical cut. While I enjoy many of the added scenes by themselves (like the French Plantation sequence), I don't feel they really belong in the film.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You are probably one of the few who think it's an improvement on the theatrical cut. While I enjoy many of the added scenes by themselves (like the French Plantation sequence), I don't feel they really belong in the film.

Francis Ford Copolla didn't think so either. Its well worth watching the documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now called Heart of Darkness. He actuallytold the crew throw out that scene.

I'm fairly sure it was in the redux becauase they needed to justify a redux and make a few quid from a dvd release. Lets not forget Copollas financial troubles that brought us such films as Godfather III and that weird Disney film with Micheal Jackson.

I echo the love for the DC of Blade Runner and propose Termunator II as the best DC of them all. The DC adds a whole new depth to the film the theatrical release never had.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

The Chronicles of Riddick was improved by the 20 or so extra minutes in the Directors cut.
    The scene on the prison planet where he goes beserk was much better in the directors cut. I guess it was cut for a pg13 rating for its cinema release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Most times, Director's Cuts can improve films...

This is unlike the DC of Donnie Darko, which I felt more or less destroyed the film... Kelly should not be allowed to direct or tamper anymore. He's a hack who got lucky once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Daredevil for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

I enjoyed the directors cut of "Kingdom of Heaven". I felt it added a bit more to the overall story and it also gives Orlando Bloom a fairer crack of the whip (he, IMHO, was seriously miscast in this movie) but the directors cut gives more backstory on his character and is structured in a much better way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

DareDevil.

The LOTR trilogy as well, some people complain it is too long and a lot of it doesn't really add anything to the story but all the extra scenes add to the films in the same way extra details in the books make them better than films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Alien 3

I found it to be more fleshed out and overall a more enjoyable film rather than the original mess Fox churned out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Alien 3

I found it to be more fleshed out and overall a more enjoyable film rather than the original mess Fox churned out.
    It's not really a director's cut, so much as Fincher's last workprint before he left/was kicked out, polished slightly. I agree though, it's interesting to compare.
    Blade Runner. The DC leaves the viewer with more questions at the end and leaves you to make up your own mind instead of being spoon fed an ending with an answer.
    The director's cut of Blade Runner is also not a director's cut, but rather a version worked up from a snag list of Scott's main problems with the theatrical cuts. His true director's cut is called the Final Cut, and is also my preferred version.

Advertisement