Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flower beds- advice and ideas welcome!

Options
  • 30-08-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, i have recenlty started making an area for flower beds in my back garden. I have it laid out but now cannot decide on mulch, stone or just leave soil.

I have been told by few people that using mulch could draw rats due to moist and hot area etc. Im now not sure what to use!! :confused::confused:
    It also has to be low maintainance but nice as with every good intention i still find weeding hard!

I also would welcome usefull advice and ideas around planting- what to use, when to start, how to start etc!!! I have attached a pic of the bed area i have made along the side and back wall. Its big enough to look after so needs to be easy for me!!!

Ideas and advice very welcome. thanks x :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mrsmack wrote: »
    Hi, i have recenlty started making an area for flower beds in my back garden. I have it laid out but now cannot decide on mulch, stone or just leave soil.

I have been told by few people that using mulch could draw rats due to moist and hot area etc. Im now not sure what to use!! :confused::confused:
    It also has to be low maintainance but nice as with every good intention i still find weeding hard!

I also would welcome usefull advice and ideas around planting- what to use, when to start, how to start etc!!! I have attached a pic of the bed area i have made along the side and back wall. Its big enough to look after so needs to be easy for me!!!

Ideas and advice very welcome. thanks x :)

A few ideas and pictures here.:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80449600&postcount=6

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80456200&postcount=8

Good soil quality is vital.

Topsoil,compost,manure and grit too (for drainage).

Bark chip in a raised bed is fine.

You can use weed membrane too,to surpress any weeds aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrsmack

thanks for that, i see your pics have raised beds with sleepers. My beds are not raised and have a stone wall (1 block high). Any recommendation on flowers to use or mulch versus soil or stone????

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrsmack

pic attached of flower bed area

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

love lavender myself, evergreen and hardy
    hydrangeas too would go well as would some ornamental grasses.. its the perfect time to plant some bulbs for spring too :)

Advertisement