Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap (of free) Drum plugin?

• 30-08-2012 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a cheap enough drum plugin to get some ideas down using Reaper, the plan then being to show a real drummer the ideas, and re-record.
    Something under €50/£40 or free even. Not much look finding anything online.

There was one on the review section of musicradar about a year ago, that was only around £30 but cannot recall the name of it. It would be perfect for what I need it for.

I am going to use an IK multimedia stealth plugin, record in guitar and bass, add the amps and effects on amplitube later, then just get down a basic software drum idea, play the parts on a midi keyboard etc. It would be very quick to record rather than miking up amps just for ideas...

The plan then being to present it to a bass player and drummer to see if they would work on the ideas....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

If it's just something fairly basic you want, you could do worse than Hydrogen. Don't mind what it says, there's a Windows and Mac link on the downloads page. It's stand-alone rather than a plugin but you can record in it, add new kits and it's free.

Also I think Computer Music magazine had a drum plugin on their cover disc a couple of months ago if you wanted to try and get a back issue.

Other than that the only one I can think of is EZdrummer but that's around €120.

Edit: Actually Hydrogen isn't that basic I suppose but it is fairly easy to get a basic drum track down.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭fitz

I'd spend the bit extra and get a decent drum package.
    The likes of Addictive Drums, EZDrummer/Superior Drummer, BFD...they all come with groove libraries...short midi patterns that you can trawl through to find one that's similar to the beat in your head, then you just tweak that one. Saves a huge amount of time when demoing something up.
    Addictive Drums sounds very good, but value wise, it's hard to look past Abbey Road Drums by Native Instruments.
    €99: http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/powered-by-kontakt/abbey-road-modern-drummer/

The good thing about packages like that, is that they provide you with samples good enough to use in a mix with your real drum track to layer up a snare sound for example. Worth the investment imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

True enough. I did have the demos of addictive drums. I suppose I could download those. Not looking for anything fancy at all just now.

Adyx wrote: »
    If it's just something fairly basic you want, you could do worse than Hydrogen. Don't mind what it says, there's a Windows and Mac link on the downloads page. It's stand-alone rather than a plugin but you can record in it, add new kits and it's free.

Stupid question. Which one do I download from here:

http://www.hydrogen-music.org/hcms/node/21

Is it the Windows Binaries?

There's a free version of addictive drums that I'll download, even if it's kick snare and ride, it'll do me.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Audiomidi.com are doing one of their most excellent 'no brainer' deals at the moment:
    http://www.audiomidi.com/Steven-Slate-Drums-ESSENTIAL-No-Brainer/dp/B008XLA2N8

This one wouldn't interest me cos I hardly ever use drum sounds (except for the occasional 909) but I've bought their no brainers before and they are genuine.

• Advertisement

Just bought the no brainer for $20. If all is as they say, it's a no brainer for what I need it for........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

seachto7 wrote: »
    Stupid question. Which one do I download from here:

http://www.hydrogen-music.org/hcms/node/21

Is it the Windows Binaries?

There's a free version of addictive drums that I'll download, even if it's kick snare and ride, it'll do me.........
    Yeah it's the Windows 0.9.6 binary. I'd go for the alpha1 version, it's probably more stable. Don't forget you can get new sounds in hydrogen itself by going to Instruments > Import Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 smcg27

ok guys, I bought the SSD4 one for $20 but I am having problems in Reaper. I can load the drums, but when I go to audition them, nothing, no sound. I can hear the vocals and guitars alright but can't audition them, and can't seem to drag and drop grooves :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

seachto7 wrote: »
    ok guys, I bought the SSD4 one for $20 but I am having problems in Reaper. I can load the drums, but when I go to audition them, nothing, no sound. I can hear the vocals and guitars alright but can't audition them, and can't seem to drag and drop grooves :(
    If I recall in SSD, you can select whole kits. Try loading the kit into midi channels and drawing in the notes, it's been a while since I've used it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

Do you know how to convert wav/mp3 samples to midi? If you do then just get samples of kicks/snares etc and you can make your own kits to your own liking! It's very much worth it.

Yup, I could do that too, but just wanted something handy with loops to get me started....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

Oh right, so do you want purely loops and not something you can programme?

Advertisement