Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you feel about being Irish?

• 31-08-2012 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

True it is a lonely island in the Atlantic but as a population are we really anything? Are we inferior to other Europeans genetically and aesthetically? I left out intellectually because we are a pretty smart nation.
    The article by that journalist who's German and lives in Galway offended me and got me thinking.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I left out intellectually because we are a pretty smart nation.

Yes, let's focus on the negatives for one minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

We're feckin' great.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Yes, let's focus on the negatives for one minute

Well actually I'm generalising there. We're as smart as a lot of nations with an average iq of 98 compared to Norway 100. Not much difference I guess.
    Strike out the intelligent bit, no point in me editing it now.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I love it, wouldn't want to be any other nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm Chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

True it is a lonely island in the Atlantic but as a population are we really anything? Are we inferior to other Europeans genetically and aesthetically? I left out intellectually because we are a pretty smart nation.
    The article by that journalist who's German and lives in Galway offended me and got me thinking.
    what article? link please.

yes, we are inferior to our more pressurised neighbours, but as soon as we have their urban density issues, we'll be fully equal.

smart? you mean sarky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

But I'm European:confused:

I couldn't give a **** where I'm from. It's not something I have any control over. I'm me, and me only. :)
    Being Irish, ect has absolutely no relevance on my personality what so ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I've always wanted to be Japanese for some reason, I don't know why :p Being Irish is plain and boring, but then again, I probably only think that because I am Irish. If I was from somewhere else I'd think that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Well actually I'm generalising there. We're as smart as a lot of nations with an average iq of 98 compared to Norway 100. Not much difference I guess.
    Strike out the intelligent bit, no point in me editing it now.:P

IQ tests are a load of rubbish anyway, but isn't 98 a little on the low side?

ArtSmart wrote: »
    what article? link please.

yes, we are inferior to our more pressurised neighbours, but as soon as we have their urban density issues, we'll be fully equal.

smart? you mean sarky?

Not sarky (sarcastic I'm presuming). This is the article I'm referring to: http://rsvpmagazine.ie/rabbit-teeth-german-journo-writes-scathing-article-on-the-irish/
    It appears Ireland is dictated by Europe but not considered European by far right wing groups in Europe. I'm sure the Irish Stormfront member's would come up with some bullsh*t excuse to excuse the article by this woman to make themselves feel better. Bottom line far right wing Europeans think of Irish people as inferior and the sooner the racists in this country know that the better.
    The writer speaks about Irish kids in a school being racist towards a Polish person. Polish people have more Northern European blood than Irish people so I can't see why all this "white brother" Irish racism is so common and targets Polish people.
    I completely find the author's reference to inbreeding as untrue and offensive and I think she needs to be held accountable for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomtherobot

Ashamed, we're a sad bunch of self-serving losers. Incapable of running a country. Come back HRM all is forgiven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Being Irish,when Im feeling about I usually start on her tits.

I've posted in tCN with Sarky. Sarky is a personal friend of mine, poster, you are no Sarky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I couldn't give a **** where I'm from. It's not something I have any control over. I'm me, and me only. :)

So you'd be the same if you grew up in Spain? Uganda? China?

I don't get the whole "Oh you care about your nationality? How primitive" argument that some go on with. I hate rabid patriotism but people can't deny that the country and culture you grow up in does shape your personality and you as a person.

In response to the OP, I like being Irish. There's a many wrong things with the general Irish attitude in some groups towards politics, entitlement and our lax
    "Sure it'll be grand" attitude can be damaging (Legal system for example) but it's all relative. We have it very good here and we are very well received abroad (maybe not to the extent that some like to think) but as a neutral country which a huge diaspora, there's a lot of goodwill associated with being Irish. I think it's helped in making me a good person

Ambiguous
    /thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

kowloon wrote: »
    IQ tests are a load of rubbish anyway, but isn't 98 a little on the low side?

No

Average is 95-105

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Its what I've being saying all along, we are just fine the way we are!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Ah sure, tis grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'm Chinese.

Sheesh I'm embarrased now, I thought you were Hungarian :o

EDIT: Just saw poster ^^^^^ called Sheesh :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I am 1/16th Norwegian, I am proud of that, 15/16ths Irish though and very much ashamed to be from a nation of cowards and self centered people who allowed the mass theft and pillaging of this country. Our ancestors took up arms for alot less 90 years ago.

• Advertisement

Anita Blow wrote: »
    So you'd be the same if you grew up in Spain? Uganda? China?

I don't get the whole "Oh you care about your nationality? How primitive" argument that some go on with. I hate rabid patriotism but people can't deny that the country and culture you grow up in does shape your personality and you as a person.

In response to the OP, I like being Irish. There's a many wrong things with the general Irish attitude in some groups towards politics, entitlement and our lax
    "Sure it'll be grand" attitude can be damaging (Legal system for example) but it's all relative. We have it very good here and we are very well received abroad (maybe not to the extent that some like to think) but as a neutral country which a huge diaspora, there's a lot of goodwill associated with being Irish. I think it's helped in making me a good person

What I'm really trying to say is that do you think the Irish are genetically inferior to other European nations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Nothing to be ashamed of being Irish. We've achieved enough and made quite an impact for a small island on the fringes of Europe.

What pisses me off though is ...

I've noticed we're one of the worst countries in terms of the amount of snivelling, stuck up c***s we have condemning anyone nationalistic. Whether they're moderately or staunchly(and I'm not just referring to Shinners or IRA sympathizers)nationalistic.

Just look at the threads about bunting for the world cup back in June, the videos of Irish fans in Poland, or the amount of shinner and GAA bashing that goes on this site. Pathetic to say the least.

You would never see the likes of it anywhere else like here as far as I'm concerned.

What I'm really trying to say is that do you think the Irish are genetically inferior to other European nations?

No we're not. No other Nation can handle a hurley like the Irish ;)

Hurling being in the genes etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

A nation full of bandwagoners and people who support foreign teams while laughing at the thought of supporting their own league.

How do I feel? Embarrassed and ashamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

mikemac1 wrote: »
    No

Average is 95-105

That would still put 98 on the low side of that range. Certainly not a high enough number to call ourselves a very smart nation.

I still think IQ tests are rubbish though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

poppyvally wrote: »
    Link?
    Zelda?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Amy2010

How do you feel about being Irish? Crap!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

MaxSteele wrote: »

What pisses me off though is ...

I've noticed we're one of the worst countries in terms of the amount of snivelling, stuck up c***s we have condemning anyone nationalistic. Whether they're moderately or staunchly(and I'm not just referring to Shinners or IRA sympathizers)nationalistic.

Just look at the threads about bunting for the world cup back in June, the videos of Irish fans in Poland, or the amount of shinner and GAA bashing that goes on this site. Pathetic to say the least.

You would never see the likes of it anywhere else like here as far as I'm concerned.

To be fair, most countries with the uneasy mix of violence and nationalism that Ireland has had also can have an odd relationship with it. I've lived in the US and for every flag waving "USA USA" person there's other Americans who are so anti-American you find it hard to believe they're from the US. Likewise in Spain, with the exception of the national football team any sort of moderate or overt Nationalism has associations with Franco and Fascism so it's also quite contested.

Ireland doesn't have a monopoly on this sort of thinking in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've posted in tCN with Sarky. Sarky is a personal friend of mine, poster, you are no Sarky.

Personal friend, watches you while you sleep, it's all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'm sumerian, what's Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

What article OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

A German living in Ireland giving out about alcohol and the weather is fair enough.

I'd love to read an article written by a Jew in Germany/Poland in the early 1940's though and see how Ireland looks by comparison! :o

BOF666 wrote: »
    A German living in Ireland giving out about alcohol and the weather is fair enough.

I'd love to read an article written by a Jew in Germany/Poland in the early 1940's though and see how Ireland looks by comparison! :o

Lots of them out there to read. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

i hate this thread...

..........i really hate this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

You are the only cultureless human in the history of the world.

If Hitler would have gotten control of Ireland nobody commenting here right now would be alive; yet to this day we are thought of as inferior by far right continental folk and considered genetically inferior. I know Irish women aren't the most attractive and the men well not the tallest or most handsome in Europe but as the German said we are barely even Europe and a lonely island in the Atlantic. And to believe Irish people were members of stormfront. All the other nations would have just laughed at the Irish members. Pathetic really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Speak for yourself, I'm a bearded Adonis with one of the sexiest voices this side of Morgan Freeman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Nationalism can be/is a very healthy thing.

The glue that binds the people of a nation together. We need it now more than ever.

What large groups of Irish people clung to have demised, Fianna fail, the church, the IRA, the soccer team and so on, let's resurrect Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher and Luke Kelly to create an Irish super group that'll make top music for us until the debt is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Happy to have been born here, could have just as easily been born in worse places, I won't be summarily executed by government here (financial execution excepted).
    And we get a pretty good welcome abroad.
    Objectively theres not really an 'Irish person' just a human.

I don't like the way we're a kind of backward 'sorry not available in your area' type country. Its like if you were in any other country in Europe you could pretty much expect to avail of anything thats in a western economy.

It would be unusual for something to be unavailable in a country like for example France which is available in Germany or Britain.

But we're probably in the same category as the likes of northern Finland or Corsica or Malta. We're one of the ....'does not apply to' places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Very happy to be Irish, very happy indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

I think we should do a lot more of being IRISH and we should do it their faces!

The new Irish can join us....IN DOING IRISH IN THEIR FACES!

LETS SEE HOW THEY LIKE IT IN THEIR FACE!

I may be mildly intoxicated.

UP WITH IRISH, DOWN WITH RACISM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Irishness is the ****tiest nationality apart from all the others.

Only thing better than being Irish is being Irish with citizenship of one of: USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

kowloon wrote: »
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    No

Average is 95-105

That would still put 98 on the low side of that range. Certainly not a high enough number to call ourselves a very smart nation.

I still think IQ tests are rubbish though.
    100 isn't the world average. It's the normalised UK average, as far as I know. 98 is statistically indistinct from 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Only thing better than being Irish is being Irish with citizenship of one of: USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand.
    I don't know why having New Zealand citizenship would be so great, it's just a very isolated country with a smaller population than Ireland. Even Australia isn't one I'd jump at.

Having a US passport and a EU passport on the other hand would be extremely useful as it would allow you to move between two enormous economies easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

I don't know why having New Zealand citizenship would be so great, it's just a very isolated country with a smaller population than Ireland. Even Australia isn't one I'd jump at.

Having a US passport and a EU passport on the other hand would be extremely useful as it would allow you to move between two enormous economies easily.

True. Im off to marry an obese Texan girl.

Very happy to be Irish, very happy indeed.

Yes, beautiful blonde slim women and sexy who dress classy :rolleyes:
    Is Feidir Linn ( Greatest waste of ink the star paper ever used) Well not as far as Obama's election campaign is concerned :D

I kind of agree there. There is nothing about being Irish I am proud of. Even on a night out I always said to myself there will be a nice looking Irish girl who wasn't a stuck up cow. Whenever I met a decent looking Irish girl she turned out to be some nursing student stuck up cow who only wanted free drinks. Whenever I met a girl who was from the continent they were stunners compared to the other stuck up cow and a lot more modest. It actually made me wish I wasn't Irish. There is nothing about being Irish to be proud of for me and when I see scangers hanging on street corners with fat slobs of girls shouting "go back to your own country", I just get angry- especially looking at the fat girls with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

It appears Ireland is dictated by Europe but not considered European by far right wing groups in Europe.

Which far right groups?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

I think he pulled that out of his behind. During the Holy Cross standoff we had a busload of Italian Fascists trying their damndest to get at Loyalists. When they couldn't get through they gave up and settled for spraying Fascist graffiti on the walls and pissed off back home. Le Pen spoke of the Irish as the anti-thesis to Sarkozy who he deemed scum. The Irish far-right is linked with the Catholic far right in Bavaria. Here are Croatian Fascists deliberately trying to provoke a riot in Loyalist Belfast;

This thread is pathetic, pull yourself together.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement