Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you feel about being Irish?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

What is with all the racism either directed at Irish people or anyone else..

Facists are not friends of anyone....

I would really like to see posts with stormfront tendoncies or racism banned on Boards.ie ..there should be an anti racim stance and a whole charter

I am sick of it and it probably puts off a lot off interesting people off differing backgrounds from coming on here sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Im very proud to be Irish :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

'Facists' (sic) are certainly not enemies of the Irish. Not even real English Fascists. I hate it when people deliberately lump in the centre-right with the far right. The first politician in Europe to call for a withdrawal by the British from Northern Ireland was Mussolini.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Border-Rat wrote: »
    'Facists' (sic) are certainly not enemies of the Irish. Not even real English Fascists. I hate it when people deliberately lump in the centre-right with the far right. The first politician in Europe to call for a withdrawal by the British from Northern Ireland was Mussolini.

The Irish are a completely different breed from other Europeans. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Nationalism can be/is a very healthy thing.

The glue that binds the people of a nation together.
    You could look at it that way.

Or as the promotion of a division between human beings that seeks to set "them" as different to "us".

There's nothing wrong with social cohesion, but maybe it doesn't need to be on such a small scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Right I know I'm not Irish yeah but I'm drunk like I usually am on here, I'm just admitting it because I'm very drunk.

I'm English. Ok. But I don't view myself as that. I'm basically Irish right. I just had the good/bad luck (delete as appropriate) to be born in England. I'm Irish basically, but without the plasticness. I don't pretend to be anything other than English, but I feel no affinity to England as I do Ireland.

I get mild abuse for considering myself more Irish than English. So what? Ireland has a rich culture, whatever it's current inhabitants think. I'm proud to say I'm from an Irish background. England should have nothing to be proud of, except for invading and terrorising foreign nations (which it still does well). Ireland should be proud of the fact that despite being such a small country, it's made a positive name for itself around the world. Anyone who says 'wha? postitive? we're known for being drunks'. Get your head out of your arse, that's a good thing!

brummytom wrote: »
    Right I know I'm not Irish yeah but I'm drunk like I usually am on here, I'm just admitting it because I'm very drunk.

I'm English. Ok. But I don't view myself as that. I'm basically Irish right. I just had the good/bad luck (delete as appropriate) to be born in England. I'm Irish basically, but without the plasticness. I don't pretend to be anything other than English, but I feel no affinity to England as I do Ireland.

I get mild abuse for considering myself more Irish than English. So what? Ireland has a rich culture, whatever it's current inhabitants think. I'm proud to say I'm from an Irish background. England should have nothing to be proud of, except for invading and terrorising foreign nations (which it still does well). Ireland should be proud of the fact that despite being such a small country, it's made a positive name for itself around the world. Anyone who says 'wha? postitive? we're known for being drunks'. Get your head out of your arse, that's a good thing!

I was born in the United States to Irish parents and moved here when I was 7; I still had the yank accent and still do a little bit when I say certain words. I got a lot of insults when I moved here because my accent was so different and unusual. Why the hell would you be proud of your Irish blood man? I don't see anything about being Irish to be proud of! I seriously do not! I go for a night out and I see loud mouthed slutty girls too fat for their tight short skirt with faces like the back of a bus and scumbags then we have the elite total snobby stuck up assholes who think they are better than anyone who drives a car older than a 10 reg. Years ago if you weren't a nurse, banker or farmer in this country you were nothing even if you were from a working class family; that's what I was told anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

I was born in the United States to Irish parents and moved here when I was 7; I still had the yank accent and still do a little bit when I say certain words. I got a lot of insults when I moved here because my accent was so different and unusual. Why the hell would you be proud of your Irish blood man? I don't see anything about being Irish to be proud of! I seriously do not! I go for a night out and I see loud mouthed slutty girls too fat for their tight short skirt with faces like the back of a bus and scumbags then we have the elite total snobby stuck up assholes who think they are better than anyone who drives a car older than a 10 reg. Years ago if you weren't a nurse, banker or farmer in this country you were nothing even if you were from a working class family; that's what I was told anyway.

So there's noone fat or stuck up in America? :rolleyes: At least we don't all run around shooting each other...

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

I love being Irish.
    1)Love the way girls like the accent/look very time i go to a foreign country,
    2)Seems easier to make mates/friends abroad once they know your Irish
    3)Gaa know it has it haters on boards but still a great amateur org + croke park
    4)Nothing to be ashamed of in our history compared to the various genocide caused by english/americans/germans
    5)First world country with first world proplems
    6) no volcanos,hurricane,tsunami,earthquakes
    7) no snakes ,dangerous/poisonous aninmals in the wild
    8) Small country so possible to travel anywhere in a day
    9) Mainly christian religion so no religious difficulties with 1 religion trying to take over another via violent means.
    10) Women have as much rights as men(this is one that perhaps i would prefer that they had less;))
    11)Tayto 's/ Irish meat/Irish milk/Irish tea etc

etc etc

• Advertisement

brummytom wrote: »

I'm English. Ok. But I don't view myself as that. I'm basically Irish right.
    Good stuff, Irish history is all about people that became more Irish than the Irish themseves. Welcome(now by any chance would you have a few billions to sort out the banks or a child that will win an olympic medal or 2:D )

BOF666 wrote: »
    So there's noone fat or stuck up in America? :rolleyes: At least we don't all run around shooting each other...

I was born in America to Irish parents and lived in Ireland since I was 7. Yes there are a lot of fat Americans and America truly belongs to the natives. The fat ones are of European extraction who are capitalist pigs just like the Irish government. And Irish people are very fat in general so don't come saying Americans are fat Irish people and British are the fattest in Europe from what I can see.

I was born in America to Irish parents and lived in Ireland since I was 7. Yes there are a lot of fat Americans and America truly belongs to the natives. The fat ones are of European extraction who are capitalist pigs just like the Irish government. And Irish people are very fat in general so don't come saying Americans are fat Irish people and British are the fattest in Europe from what I can see.

We're the 8th fattest in Europe and America is the fattest country in the world...

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

And most of America is of European extraction, so unless you're Native American you can't really go giving out about "European Americans."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I just...I don't even know anymore. You've done it AH. You've broken me.

BOF666 wrote: »
    We're the 8th fattest in Europe and America is the fattest country in the world...

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

And most of America is of European extraction, so unless you're Native American you can't really go giving out about "European Americans."

All I can say is http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/love-sex/irish-men-are-the-ugliest-in-the-world-but-irish-woman-scrub-up-well-3018379.html :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Have we issues with fat sandmanporto?

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »
    Have we issues with fat sandmanporto?

No I do not.

Is that the best you could do:D.
    A link to Dermot O'Leary who won a vote for most fanciful man:D
    The article underneath it has a website where the owner says that the Irish just need to make more effort with the picture they upload to get higher!
    Ps Most of the Irish will not have a profile on that site or heard of it.I for one havent uploaded my picture so expect the irish to be in the top 5 next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Nothing to be ashamed of being Irish. We've achieved enough and made quite an impact for a small island on the fringes of Europe.

What pisses me off though is ...

I've noticed we're one of the worst countries in terms of the amount of snivelling, stuck up c***s we have condemning anyone nationalistic. Whether they're moderately or staunchly(and I'm not just referring to Shinners or IRA sympathizers)nationalistic.

Just look at the threads about bunting for the world cup back in June, the videos of Irish fans in Poland, or the amount of shinner and GAA bashing that goes on this site. Pathetic to say the least.

You would never see the likes of it anywhere else like here as far as I'm concerned.

I'd be willing to bet that if you went to England that for every stereotypical shaven headed 3 lions type you would get someone who cringes at that sort of thing. The thing about the bunting I'll give you was a little OTT in my opinion.

As far as the GAA thing goes I'd say some of it stems from people who had no interest in it as kids being kind of angry that they had no alternative, which would have been the case in certain areas. That however is just my own theory based on nothing concrete.
    Yes, beautiful blonde slim women and sexy who dress classy :rolleyes:
    Is Feidir Linn ( Greatest waste of ink the star paper ever used) Well not as far as Obama's election campaign is concerned :D
    I kind of agree there. There is nothing about being Irish I am proud of. Even on a night out I always said to myself there will be a nice looking Irish girl who wasn't a stuck up cow. Whenever I met a decent looking Irish girl she turned out to be some nursing student stuck up cow who only wanted free drinks. Whenever I met a girl who was from the continent they were stunners compared to the other stuck up cow and a lot more modest. It actually made me wish I wasn't Irish. There is nothing about being Irish to be proud of for me and when I see scangers hanging on street corners with fat slobs of girls shouting "go back to your own country", I just get angry- especially looking at the fat girls with them.

This boring tripe has been inflicted on this forum enough times so could you give it a rest.

Sure that's based on statistics from some dating website, there might only be one Irish bloke on it that’s ugly and doesn’t get a lot of responses! I’ve never even heard it, wonder if many people on here have? I might as well give one American an aptitude test and write an article based on the results claiming all Americans are of a similar intelligence level to him! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Bash Ireland and all its fair people?

Not in AH.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement