Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt announced €350 million investment to improve broadband availability

Options
  • 31-08-2012 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

IRELAND HAS lost out on multinational investment because of poor broadband quality the Minister for Communications, Pat Rabbitte, has said.

He made the admission when he launched a €350 million investment plan for the sector yesterday.

He said the State would provide €175 million of the total and “ambitious” targets for the
    delivery of broadband. The balance of the funding will come from the private sector.

“I have been informed by the IDA that it is a factor that can prove decisive in certain cases. I think there was a recent case in Cork where that was the case . . . I believe that it has
    been a factor that may have tilted the decision on occasion as to location.”

Mr Rabbitte said broadband quality was the main issue for multinational companies. He described the new plan as “the rural
    electrification of the 21st century” and he outlined a series of targets to be met within the
    lifetime of the Government.

Mr Rabbitte said Taoiseach Enda Kenny had assured him the State would cover any shortfall in spending committed to in the plan. He predicted public funds would involve a mix of money
    from the exchequer, the sale of State assets and other resources such as the National Pension Reserve Fund.

Fianna Fáil communications spokesman Michael Moynihan criticised the plan, saying it was “high on rhetoric and low on specifics”.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0831/1224323382860.html

Advertisement