Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making the move to teaching in England???

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

One word of warning about salaries.

If you are on the old pay scales, a break in service will mean that you move to the post 2011 new entrant pay scale when you return to Ireland.

It is not relevant if you are already on the new pay scale, or if you plan not to teach in Ireland again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Equality wrote: »

If you are on the old pay scales, a break in service will mean that you move to the post 2011 new entrant pay scale when you return to Ireland.

It is not relevant if you are already on the new pay scale, or if you plan not to teach in Ireland again.

Please note Equality does not know if this is true. If anyone does know please let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Equality wrote: »

Please note Equality does not know if this is true. If anyone does know please let us know thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 needhair

flying into heathrow on saturday getting very nervous and anxious now, hate going over alone any advice would be much appreciated???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

needhair wrote: »
    flying into heathrow on saturday getting very nervous and anxious now, hate going over alone any advice would be much appreciated???

I find that the hardest part - landing into the airport alone. I'm heading back to Luton on Saturday. Use Sunday to get yourself organised for Monday, be sure of where you are going and how long it will take you etc.

Get a UK sim as well, make sure your own mobile is unlocked, or you can pick up a cheap UK phone for about 10 or 12 pounds. I know my laser card did not work in a lot of the ticket machines at the train station, so make sure you have enough sterling, exchange rates when taking money out from Irish account is shockingly bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 needhair

Thanks Rebelgirl god i hope i like it over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Heya, does anyone have experience of applying for a NIN in the UK?

My agency was supposed to sort this out but theyre fairly useless and just sent me a link to a website that charges me 60 pound to apply for NIN... This application should be free :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mel84

I thought u sed ur agency were great?!!!!

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Heya, does anyone have experience of applying for a NIN in the UK?

My agency was supposed to sort this out but theyre fairly useless and just sent me a link to a website that charges me 60 pound to apply for NIN... This application should be free :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hi folks,

I presume you are all Secondary Teachers? Because I was told that NQT Irish Primary Teachers can only do supply work in England if they don't have probation done here. Can anyone confirm this?

If that's wrong, then can anyone tell me agencies or websites to go looking for primary jobs in England?

kraggy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I presume you are all Secondary Teachers? Because I was told that NQT Irish Primary Teachers can only do supply work in England if they don't have probation done here. Can anyone confirm this?

If that's wrong, then can anyone tell me agencies or websites to go looking for primary jobs in England?

Hiya! Who told u that?! No u can work full time in primary in the UK just may take a while for a school to put u thru ur dip year- I know girls that started on short term contracts and are now doing their DiP year over there- the teaching council have changed things also so if u do ur dip year in the UK u don't have to do an additional exam/ supervision for ur Irish when u get home. My friends went wit engage in Dublin an so did I good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please mel84, stop using txtspk. It is not acceptable on this forum - this is a Teaching and Lecturing forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭airneal

Hi Folks,

I heading for NUIG in September to do the PDE. Biology & Science are my subjects. Just wondering when I finish next May-June 2014, would it be likely that I would/ should have a teaching job lined up in the UK for September 2014? How hard is it for someone to walk into a job over there after coming out of teaching practice? Or should I be looking for subbing/ supply work first? How exactly does the process happen? Should I be sending CVs over after Christmas? Or are any of you thinking about heading for Dubai?

My ambition is to get 1-2 years or so in the UK under my belt and then head for Dubai. I'm 30+, and have a PhD. Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

airneal wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I heading for NUIG in September to do the PDE. Biology & Science are my subjects. Just wondering when I finish next May-June 2014, would it be likely that I would/ should have a teaching job lined up in the UK for September 2014? How hard is it for someone to walk into a job over there after coming out of teaching practice? Or should I be looking for subbing/ supply work first? How exactly does the process happen? Should I be sending CVs over after Christmas? Or are any of you thinking about heading for Dubai?

My ambition is to get 1-2 years or so in the UK under my belt and then head for Dubai. I'm 30+, and have a PhD. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Have a look at the website tes.co.uk - that is where most of the jobs in the UK are advertised. You can search under your specific subjects. It will give you an idea of what the current situation is like for your subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭airneal

chippers wrote: »
    Have a look at the website tes.co.uk - that is where most of the jobs in the UK are advertised. You can search under your specific subjects. It will give you an idea of what the current situation is like for your subjects.

Thanks for that, yep 34 positions on it at the moment. Big difference compared to hear in Ireland.

airneal wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Hi Airneal! Yes very likely you would get a decent school in the UK! I was over there for a few years! Went through an excellent agency that helped me with relocation etc and I did my induction year over there too! Pm me and I can give you more details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hi again folks.

Have signed up with an agency who say they fill positions in the counties surrounding London.

I'm also going to apply for jobs directly even though the costs of travellong to London for each interview will mount up. But anyway...

I have NO clue about London or the surrounding areas so can anyone recommend some decent towns/areas that would also be accessible to an airport for trips home.

The search for jobs on tes.co.uk is a bit overwhelming without such knowledge.

Also, is there any significant difference between getting a job with an agency and getting a job directly from the school, besides the pay system?

Thanks a million. All help appreciated.

Hi Kraggy pm me if u want any specific advice

Advertisement