Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use laptop during courses?

Options
  • 31-08-2012 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi guys as the title states are we aloud to use or laptop in lessons? As my writing is dreadful?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Spelling isn't too good either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I've used one before plenty of times. Just try not to bash down too hard on the keys and you'd be grand. And make sure you put it on power saver so your not running out of battery too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Depends on your lecturer, some probably wont be happy with you on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Affluenza

Crow92 wrote: »
    I've used one before plenty of times. Just try not to bash down too hard on the keys and you'd be grand. And make sure you put it on power saver so your not running out of battery too early.

Ok thanks a lot mate!

Spelling isn't too good either

Go away troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Depends on the course and the lecturer. In my course (TCD Pharmacy), only one lecturer out of at least twenty ever made an issue about laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Also dont forget about the other students around u who may have to listen to the clicking. Although in my experience lectures dont really mind once ur not blatantly ignoring their class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Affluenza wrote: »
    Hi guys as the title states are we aloud to use or laptop in lessons? As my writing is dreadful?

Depending on your course you might want to remedy that for when it comes round to exams. I also I know this is based on twenty words but have you ever had a dyslexia test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Depends on the course and the lecturer. In my course (TCD Pharmacy), only one lecturer out of at least twenty ever made an issue about laptops.

Let me guess...MJ
    She gave out to one girl because her phone was on the table and she thought she was recording her.
    The funny thing was we all were. Her lack of slides or a set of lecture notes meant that we didn't always get stuff taken down so recording was the only thing we could do.

Scortho wrote: »
    Let me guess...MJ
    She gave out to one girl because her phone was on the table and she thought she was recording her.
    The funny thing was we all were. Her lack of slides or a set of lecture notes meant that we didn't always get stuff taken down so recording was the only thing we could do.
    Bingo.

I'm not sure why she's so averse to normal things like letting people use laptops for note-taking or having digital copies of her slides. It's such a small thing to her but it's a nightmare for students.

• Advertisement

Bingo.

I'm not sure why she's so averse to normal things like letting people use laptops for note-taking or having digital copies of her slides. It's such a small thing to her but it's a nightmare for students.

As you get older you understand - you get set in your ways.

Bingo.

yeah i know. I used to hate her for it. But she is really fair. Especially when it comes to marking your exams. Just don't go out on a student march and miss 5 mins of her lab!

At least you don't have a load of waffle in your lecture notes either. He might be legend but some of the stuff in Quigleys slides is ridiculous.

Do a bit of work for her and shell give you a decent result. Do a lot of work for Fabio, Healy or Sasse and you'd be lucky to scrape a pass out of them.

You'll enjoy this year.....

And OP sorry for dragging this thread off topic all together on you. Us Pharmers stick together!:)

Scortho wrote: »
    At least you don't have a load of waffle in your lecture notes either. He might be legend but some of the stuff in Quigleys slides is ridiculous.
    In fairness, he does keep a running commentary of what won't be in the exam. "Now don't be worried about any of this, it's not important." seems to cover about half of the material on his slides :p
    Do a bit of work for her and shell give you a decent result. Do a lot of work for Fabio, Healy or Sasse and you'd be lucky to scrape a pass out of them.
    You forgot to mention Henman and Walsh. It seems that they have stupendously high standards.
    You'll enjoy this year.....
    Let's hope you're not being sarcastic. :D

Depending on your course you might want to remedy that for when it comes round to exams. I also I know this is based on twenty words but have you ever had a dyslexia test?

No mate.
    I don't have dyslexia. I typed that message after coming home from a small operation which left me a little sluggish and dizzy. If it helps I got an A2 in English :D

No mate.
    I don't have dyslexia. I typed that message after coming home from a small operation which left me a little sluggish and dizzy. If it helps I got an A2 in English :D

I have an A-Level in English Literature and doing a Law degree - I'm still dyslexic. I wasn't trying to take the micky - you clearly know the rules - punctuation etc but there were errors that would make me wonder. It's you also mentioned you're hand writing which can be another symptom. Having said that an operation would explain it.

I feel sorry for you poor disadvantaged people without dyslexia and you're crappy 'normal' spacial awareness :D

I feel sorry for you poor disadvantaged people without dyslexia and you're crappy 'normal' spacial awareness :D

I dont understand what your saying ( Im not making myself look good am I? xD )
    I actually never thought of that.... maybe i do? Might be worth looking into ask my writing is really awful ( Like a 10 year olds )

You forgot to mention Henman and Walsh. It seems that they have stupendously high standards.

Let's hope you're not being sarcastic. :D

Ha I'm not unfortunately. Its an awful workload. first semester was around 40 hours of weeks. Ceutics was great though. My Quigley notes consisted of NB Dont Learn written besides lots of it!:D

You forgot to add Fabio to your list. He made docked one girl 5 marks this year in the exams for writing in bullet points and not essay form! :eek:
    Its a health sciences course ffs not English literature!

I dont understand what your saying ( Im not making myself look good am I? xD )
    I actually never thought of that.... maybe i do? Might be worth looking into ask my writing is really awful ( Like a 10 year olds )

Could be any number of things - all I'm saying is don't be embarrassed speak to a tutor about it and get it looked at. It's not like school where people would bully you for it. You'll find people have all sorts of peccadilloes. It could be, of course, that you just have crap hand writing - but again that can be helped.

Could be any number of things - all I'm saying is don't be embarrassed speak to a tutor about it and get it looked at. It's not like school where people would bully you for it. You'll find people have all sorts of peccadilloes. It could be, of course, that you just have crap hand writing - but again that can be helped.

Your now making me really think about it... I never even thought that i would have it though it kind of makes sense. My whole family has excellent handwriting though i stopped seeing an improvement in mine at around 10 years of age.

Its not a big issue though is it? I have never had a major problem with spelling etc. so i could just let it pass?

Your now making me really think about it... I never even thought that i would have it though it kind of makes sense. My whole family has excellent handwriting though i stopped seeing an improvement in mine at around 10 years of age.

Its not a big issue though is it? I have never had a major problem with spelling etc. so i could just let it pass?

How are you at sports? Honest question.

• Advertisement

How are you at sports? Honest question.

Not sure why this is relevant but im not great at sports because of my eye sight. I do however enjoy rugby and basketball though i am more of a poker and video games guy.

Because it could be hand-eye co-ordination - if you've sight issues it likely is.

Then again I have no basis for that other than my own experience. All said and done bring it to a tutor and they'll help you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

How did a discussion on laptops turn into a discussion on dyslexia? :D

Anyway, I can't fathom how people use laptops during a lecture. I have been in classes where 4 or 5 people are typing away, no doubt typing relevant information on the lecture, but there eyes were firmly placed on the screen, no view of the lecturer, no interaction, no questions.

Whereas me, on the other hand, I was giving the lecturer a hard time asking awkward questions (yes, I am one of those students) and I think I gained more from the lectures based on my verbal interactions and hand-written notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

It depends really, I can type without looking at the screen so I just look and listen to the lecturer .

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    How did a discussion on laptops turn into a discussion on dyslexia? :D

Anyway, I can't fathom how people use laptops during a lecture. I have been in classes where 4 or 5 people are typing away, no doubt typing relevant information on the lecture, but there eyes were firmly placed on the screen, no view of the lecturer, no interaction, no questions.

Whereas me, on the other hand, I was giving the lecturer a hard time asking awkward questions (yes, I am one of those students) and I think I gained more from the lectures based on my verbal interactions and hand-written notes.

Sorry Tom - I know it looks weird put the OP and I where on at the same time pinging back and forth and it just ended up like that :)

I suppose it depends on your course - In law we have typying time :D where you're writing down the facts of a case - some times dictated sometimes just you you go - and no one would be asking questions then as the info is coming too fast. Other times it will be trying to understand a concept (Privity springs to mind) were it will be nothing but questions. The most prevalent of which is 'Why the hell did I do law?!'

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Tom Dunne wrote: »

I don't use a laptop in lectures but don't think this argument is really valid. If you become a good typist you can easily type while looking anywhere, however with writing you're always going to need to look at the paper in order to stay inline.

It's easy enough to type with your eyes on what the lecturer is doing if you're reasonably good at typing. It's faster, neater and much more convenient than hand writing notes.

As for interaction and questions, having your face down towards a piece of paper writing makes interaction far more difficult than looking over your laptop screen..

It's easy enough to type with your eyes on what the lecturer is doing if you're reasonably good at typing. It's faster, neater and much more convenient than hand writing notes.

As for interaction and questions, having your face down towards a piece of paper writing makes interaction far more difficult than looking over your laptop screen..

Plus if your anything like 95% of the student I know you lose the bit of bloody paper!

Plus if your anything like 95% of the student I know you lose the bit of bloody paper!
    My paper notes (That I took for about the first month of college) are more or less a few crumpled up bits of paper with messy colourless and formatless writing strewn over it lying around random parts of my room. Completely useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 jeanadamz

There are some universities that allows that. Sometimes your professors allow you to have it inside the room given that there are no unnecessary links or sites to be opened. It all depends on the rules and regulations of the school. Just have to follow it to cause no trouble at all.

Advertisement