Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No work here, what to do?

• 31-08-2012 2:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I know people are sick of hearing about the current state of affairs in this country no jobs, work etc etc. Iv been unemployed now 12 months and it's absolute horrible. My only qualification is the LC. Went to college for three years, broke my leg at the start of final year and had to move home, never bothered going back to college since. I've been sending in cv's to every job I'm capable of doing and yet never hear anything. Only jobs I hear back from are commission based jobs, tried one before and said never again as your basically working for free and it's a hard graft trying to get people to fork out money in these times so turnover is quite poor. I'm stuck in a rut and sick of my life at the moment, days are just going bye and things just seem to be getting bleaker and bleaker. Just wondering if anyone has any info on well-paid jobs abroad or first hand experience? Iv looked into it but cant seem to find too much info and the fact I only have my LC is a bit of hindrance. Any help or feedback greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Everyone is going to tell you to go back to college, and they will all be right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

First of all, rather than let yourself get into a rut, try volunteering for something.
    (A) Keeps you busy.
    (B) You learn many life experiences.
    (C) On your CV it shows your just not willing to let time go unused and be lazy also,
    (D) You get to hear of opportunities occasionally.
    (E) It might give you further direction - maybe into areas you have not thought of!
    (F) You get to know people and thus useful contacts!
    (G) You might just learn a skill!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Get a job in a call centre. Did it before and hated it, but it’s easy money if you’re stuck (just sit there talking all day) and you don’t need any qualifications. Try to avoid sales if you don’t like being pushy though, and customer care if you don’t like people shouting at you…

Edit: Can't stress enough how much you'll hate it, but it will give you a bit of cash towards travelling or going back to college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

You can get the "back to education allowance" if you go back to college. This way you'll get the basic dole whilst getting further education. If I was in your shoes, this is what I would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭clearodara

I know college seems like the best option but i just cant afford it now. Didnt defer my place I just dropped out. Wont be able to afford commuting or renting charges and it's been 3 years since I was last studying so I think it's just passed me by and from looking at the course and talking to the head of the faculty I'd have to go back for two years as the course has been updated and modules have changed so honestly this just doesnt appeal or suit my current setup. It just seems that unless you have an education under you're belt you're at nothing. My mate recently got a job offer in NZ starting on 65k (NZD) and flights and six weeks accomodation paid for. I kicked myself when he told me. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You managed to get through to final year in college and gave it all up because you have a broken leg?

I'm so calling a sickie tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

With no qualifications or special experience you're competing against a LOT of people, in any country.

How about some distance learning course or professional qualification that you could do piecemeal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Go back and do your final year.

Get your degree.

And you're currently looking for a well paid job ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

clearodara wrote: »
    I know college seems like the best option but i just cant afford it now. Didnt defer my place I just dropped out.
    That doesn't necessarily matter. I had a classmate who came back after a couple of years having dropped out. Faculties are often quite accommodating in these situations.

The Back to Education Allowance would also allow you to retain your benefits whilst studying, as others have said.

There are 28 people for every vacancy at present in the labour force ; you'll only improve your chances with a qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

You managed to get through to final year in college and gave it all up because you have a broken leg?

I'm so calling a sickie tomorrow.

The guy sounds pathetic right enough .Now he wants people to lead him by the hand into a good job .Hes a looser .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

Take out a massive loan, finish college, pay back loan at some point. Happy Out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Join a circus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I know college seems like the best option but i just cant afford it now. Didnt defer my place I just dropped out. Wont be able to afford commuting or renting charges and it's been 3 years since I was last studying so I think it's just passed me by and from looking at the course and talking to the head of the faculty I'd have to go back for two years as the course has been updated and modules have changed so honestly this just doesnt appeal or suit my current setup. It just seems that unless you have an education under you're belt you're at nothing. My mate recently got a job offer in NZ starting on 65k (NZD) and flights and six weeks accomodation paid for. I kicked myself when he told me. :(

Regarding the renting charges you may be entitled to rent allowance if you received BTEA. Normally you can not get rent allowance if you are in full time education, but I think exceptions can be made if you are receiving the social welfare payment Back To Education Allowance and you fulfil the RA requirements too.
    So if eligible for this you could have 188 euro a week and rent allowance possibly, which is a hell of a lot more than most students have and they manage to get by ok.

The second bit I've highlighted because I'm not sure what's stopping you? So you'd have to do two years instead of one to get your degree, why does the extra year make such a difference? I don't know know what your current set up is so maybe it's because you have a family or a sick relative and maybe you have a good reason for it not appealing to you? If there is not any major reason though, I don't see what harm an extra year makes. You could spend the next two years still despairing over not having the educational qualification you feel you need here or envying your friends who manage to find work, or you could spend the next two years actually earning that qualification that you feel you need, and get financial support for doing so. It's a no brainer to me, unless of course you have special circumstances that are preventing you from doing so.

Of course even with a degree these days nobody is guaranteed employment but it will certainly improve your chances! A person on another thread gave a link for springboard courses and they look very interesting, they are 1 -2 years long and in areas where there should hopefully be a better chance of work.

Volunteering like Biggins suggested is also a great idea as it will at least keep you active so you don't get bored as well as all the other benefits.

I don't know what area you studied or what things interest you, but maybe something entrepreneurial might be an option? Very tough to start some businesses in this climate but people are doing it, and I think there are a range of business set up courses helping people with this. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

clearodara, seriously think about going back and finishing your degree. Sure, it won't be easy, it will mean sacrifices, but you will have something at the end of it, not least a bit of self-confidence and a sense of self-worth ... and tbh, it sounds as if you're stuck in a rut at the moment and could do with both.
    anto9 wrote: »
    The guy sounds pathetic right enough .Now he wants people to lead him by the hand into a good job .Hes a looser .
    anto, will you be my friend?

Coz everyone needs a friend like you ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

How old are you OP? Because you are going to come up against the lack of a qualification your whole life. And in twenty years when you can't get promoted it will be even harder to go back to college. Look into it, and in the meantime the volunteering is a great suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

as everyone is saying, back to education or springboard is the way to go. most of the courses application deadlines will have to passed but if you get your skates on you just might get into a springboard course before the start of the academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Hi all, I know people are sick of hearing about the current state of affairs in this country no jobs, work etc etc. Iv been unemployed now 12 months and it's absolute horrible. My only qualification is the LC. Went to college for three years, broke my leg at the start of final year and had to move home, never bothered going back to college since. I've been sending in cv's to every job I'm capable of doing and yet never hear anything. Only jobs I hear back from are commission based jobs, tried one before and said never again as your basically working for free and it's a hard graft trying to get people to fork out money in these times so turnover is quite poor. I'm stuck in a rut and sick of my life at the moment, days are just going bye and things just seem to be getting bleaker and bleaker. Just wondering if anyone has any info on well-paid jobs abroad or first hand experience? Iv looked into it but cant seem to find too much info and the fact I only have my LC is a bit of hindrance. Any help or feedback greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    what have you worked at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Job bridge internships might be a good way to get your foot back on the ladder. They are searchable through the fas job search engine. Not ideal but its a start. Save as much as you can during it if you get one and consider a move back to education. Or consider moving from this country to expand your horizons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

BOF666 wrote: »
    Get a job in a call centre. Did it before and hated it, but it’s easy money if you’re stuck (just sit there talking all day) and you don’t need any qualifications. Try to avoid sales if you don’t like being pushy though, and customer care if you don’t like people shouting at you…

Edit: Can't stress enough how much you'll hate it, but it will give you a bit of cash towards travelling or going back to college!

That's where I'm working now, its fcuking terrible alright! It's my last day today though so I'm avoiding calls like the plague :)

EDIT: as well as mis-selling and general misconduct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Where do you live op? There's plenty of bar work in Dublin at the moment. Could do that for a few months and save enough to go back to college, finish your degree and get some good work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I walk by 10 shops/restaurants every morning that are looking for staff.

No work here, or no work you want to do here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Sykk wrote: »
    I walk by 10 shops/restaurants every morning that are looking for staff.

No work here, or no work you want to do here?

I've walked into those places asking about the vacancy. Get asked do i have experience, say no, get told you wouldnt fit in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I've walked into those places asking about the vacancy. Get asked do i have experience, say no, get told you wouldnt fit in here.

Go in and say 'Yes, I worked as a lounge boy in X pub in Y town between the ages of 16 and 20. I also filled in for the barman a few times but could do with learning a bit more in that respect.' You'll pick it up on the go as long as you're a hard worker, it's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oc_pl

Go to the UK. I was in Scotland on Tuesday and I seen a sight I haven't seen in Dublin in years construction workers - working

• Registered Users Posts: 16 darragh085

Anyone on benefit should look into a spring board course. I was like your self out of work for ages and going mad. Then I heard about spring board. They are free courses and give you some thing to keep your mind while you get up skilled what more could you want

Check out Springboard - you can get a qualification for free if you are in receipt of social welfare. To be honest, breaking your leg isn't a good excuse for not finishing your last year of college and, for that, you've nobody else to blame but yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I wouldn't hire someone who dropped out of college over a broken leg. After you get the cast I just don't see how it can possibly inhibit your ability to attend classes, certainly not to the extent that you have to drop out. Pure laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Thanks

I call bull on the broken leg excuse. Ever hear of crutches?

There are lawyers working the tills at tesco, and you're trying to find something with the LC?

Off to the airport with you.

Also, the "never bothered" bit is intriguing. Employers can smell that attitude you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

D-Generate wrote: »
    I wouldn't hire someone who dropped out of college over a broken leg. After you get the cast I just don't see how it can possibly inhibit your ability to attend classes, certainly not to the extent that you have to drop out. Pure laziness.

I'll have to agree.

The story given so far by OP isn't good. The college story just sounds like he couldn't be bothered with the extra effort in going back to college with the broken leg.

Now looking to be spoon fed a job to compete with his mate who got up of his ass and went to NZ, a well paid job too. No just gettIng by for OP, no he wants us to point him to a well paid job.

FFS. This is your life OP, if you don't get up and do something for yourself nobody else will do it. Given the current jobs position you need education or experience and you have neither. Go out and do whatever it takes to get one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Coming from someone who was in your exact position 2 and a half years ago, I agree with most here. Use the back to education route, heck do an internship if you have to. I done both and am still with company I completed the internship with.
    Make a plan and stick to it.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The Open University are good for people in your situation, they have a good selection of distance learning courses, so you can do them on your own schedule.
    I have a friend who did one while working part-time, and got a job in his field of study off it nearly straight away.

In relation to work, now is the time to try to get your foot in the door, as alot of retailers do their Xmas recruitment is September/October.
    You may have to swallow your pride a bit and take a job that isn't ideal, but even 6-8 weeks of work is a start, and alot of the time seasonal workers are kept on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

For a few weeks or a month or so, voluteering would be fine but after that it's hardly a life plan. So really, speaking long term, you have no other option than going back to college. If you get the BTEA, you're sorted. If not and it's money stopping you why not work in a call centre for a year, when it comes to call centres they are always looking for people and there's countless numbers of them in Cork and Dublin. You'll hate the work and that will spur you on to save like f*ck and go back to college for the two years. If you think you won't have enough saved for the full two years in college at end of your year of work, open a credit union account, save weekly every week you work so you'll hav a few grand at the end of the year. Go to the credit union manager and he should give you a loan. Maybe you might need your parents as guarantor, but I didn't. Also depending on where you work, call centres do flexi time from home and they pay for your internet connection and whatever you need like laptops etc, so you could carry on working during college at night, weekends whatever. I know Amazon do this, there's probably one or two more as well. Good luck with it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Learn a language..learn it well,always jobs for bilingual people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 mob_rule

D-Generate wrote: »
    I wouldn't hire someone who dropped out of college over a broken leg.

Fool. I would not hire anybody who graduated from an Irish University. Full stop. Irish Universities aren't worth the paper they're written on. Really, the league tables confirm this. Ireland is a shambles. You're a shambles.

Mod:

Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

mob_rule wrote: »
    Fool. I would not hire anybody who graduated from an Irish University. Full stop. Irish Universities aren't worth the paper they're written on. Really, the league tables confirm this. Ireland is a shambles. You're a shambles.

Mod:

Banned

Partially agree but don't really care, I graduated from a top 10 university in the world... Ah yes, boasting now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Stick with it OP it is easy to get disheartened but you will eventually get something. But right now take anything even if it is flipping burgers. It is always easier to get a job from a job. I don't know why that is. At least I found it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Colmustard wrote: »
    It is always easier to get a job from a job. I don't know why that is. At least I found it that way.

Because your proving you can get up out of bed and turn up for work... Also that another employer has interviewed you and also thought you were worth hiring so it seems like less of a risk...
    Take two identical interview candidates, the only difference is that one is in a steady job and the other hasn't worked in two years.... The candidate currently working is vastly more employable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

bbam wrote: »
    Because your proving you can get up out of bed and turn up for work... Also that another employer has interviewed you and also thought you were worth hiring so it seems like less of a risk...
    Take two identical interview candidates, the only difference is that one is in a steady job and the other hasn't worked in two years.... The candidate currently working is vastly more employable.

That makes sense and I agree.

Its just something I found when I was on the jobs market here and abroad. It is also interview fodder and yes when asked I use to say something like I have a job but I am looking for a career etc etc.

I have a nephew and he stays in bed all day gets up and playstations sees his mates and does the same the next day for nearly a year, My bro got him a job in burgerland and he said I wouldn't do that type of work.

If I was my bro I would have kicked him out the door, I got my current career while working in macs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I can't begin to imagine how you are feeling, but fair play for thinking about it.

Now I might get slated for being 'too harsh' but in my honest opinion, you are ENTIRELY RESPONSIBLE for your life. Accept that, and decide today to take it to the direction you want to go - rather than the direction others make you go. Put your head to good use - after all, if you don't look after yourself and do well for yourself, no one else will.

Best of luck OP - Work hard - be it finishing your course, or finding a job, or sticking with low paid commission job - whatever it is - give it 110% and you will soon realise you are more than capable for surprising yourself, and you will also notice why a lot of other people are stuck in a rut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

How long have you been unemployed? would you get back to education allowance? Is there any colleges near you? Do a springboard course which are free undergraduate or postgraduate degrees. Do a job-bridge placement. A person with a placement is more likely to get a job than a person with no experience from a degree. And you dropped out of college because of a broken leg? really? Were you too lazy to use crutches or what? And your final year and all! After seen your first post I would not hire you. There's plenty of ways to improve your situation. A mate of mine who was a qualified carpenter since he was 20 went back to college and got back to education allowance. He's now 23 and had no choice. Man up and go do something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Hes a looser

Loser you looser!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

Nice replies from AH people!??!

OP I have a son not really in same position as you, as he has 1/2 days work a week but not earning even what JSA would pay. I keep trying to tell him job is worth more than going on dole...ie., he's learning a trade, getting experience etc. and has something to put on CV. It's costing me a lot as a single parent to keep him "going", that doesn't matter to me.

His father lives in America and now has started to push pressure on him to go and work there with him.

I'd hate to see him go, and I know he doesn't want to as relations with his Dad aren't great.

I would say to you what I say to him, hang in there - keep life simple, we all have to go back to basics + take the time, if you can afford to, through FAS etc., to stock up on skills, qualifications and when things get better, you'll get work, if you seek it.

Good luck.:)

Advertisement