Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chewing tobacco

Options
  • 31-08-2012 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

You see it in the old style films etc but what is the purpose of this and does anyone do it?
    i'm genuinely curious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the nicotine can be absorbed through the oral mucosa (all that pink stuff inside your mouth!) just like some medicines that dissolve under your tongue etc.

it's quite popular in india and subcontinental asia still, but it's a very high risk for oral cancer which often presents when it's too late

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kindling

I wouldn't partake as i'm an ''ex-smoker'' just really didn't understand the allure, have u ever tried it personally?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

nope, have read enough about the damage it causes though.
    in the subcontinent, it's often chewed as part of the areca nut.

the effects are nasty!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areca_nut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Thread is drifting away from Smoking and into Breach of Charter territory.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kindling wrote: »
    just really didn't understand the allure
    From old western movies, the stuff seemed to last quite a while.

I suppose chewing it whilst riding a horse would be a good idea, as the flame didn't go out, and also no pipe was needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

polymath wrote: »
    I know for one that there are a lot of Asian countries that chew several leaves to strengthen their gums and teeth but it wouldn't be tobacco since that will only cause lung problems
    Eh, no. Chewing tobacco may cause mouth/gum cancer, but not lung cancer. Interesting about the leaves, though, and I'd wonder do they get a "hit" similar to the "nicotine hit" you'd get from chewing tobacco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

This is way better then

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Chewing tobacco is still fairly widely used in rural parts of America. I've tried it and it's like smoking 20 cigarettes at once. I learned the hard way not to swallow the juice though - it will make you puke your toenails up!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I chew tobacco whenever I get the opportunity. I put a wad in when I enter the plane as smoking is not allowed in it. It helps me a lot or I would go crazy in a long flight. I understand a long time ago, sailors use to keep plug tobacco or rope tobacco when they go sailing. Smoking tobacco on a wooden ship can be dangerous so chewing it is better. The captain sometimes allow them to smoke their pipe with the tobacco as well. In America, you will see a lot of farmers, people from the south and baseball players smoking them. India historically calls it Paan. They guys make it for you while you wait a minute. There are a lot of variations in it.

Advertisement