Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wants to come home

• 31-08-2012 6:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hey guys I think this is ok to post here. Im 28 and just started my year in NZ all going well. But im thinking I want to return home. Im a little depressed here and unhappy.
    Id like to move back home and settle down ive been traveling now for just about three years and been a bit of a hobo. I have met loads of friends in every country of the world and am happy for that.
    I see so many Irish here and in Oz its scary. Is is all that bad? the place is home and I would like to be in a place where I am understood by people. I dont want to be rich I just want to have a job and to rent a place, simple things really

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

What happens if you spend all your money going home but then after a month or two you get itchy feet and want to leave again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Come home bro. If you're not happy out there it's not worth it.

It doesn't matter that you swapped the cow for beans - they're growing in the back garden now - a fine tall plant one of them is turning out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Don't do it, there's nothing to come home to. Even if you do land a job the you have to hand all your money back in PAYE, PRSI and the worst acronym of all, USC. You could spend what's left but you will incur VAT, you could save it but you'll be hit with DIRT. You could put it into a pension scheme but there's a levy on that now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

If your single and don't have any debt then coming home won't be too bad. Are you qualified in anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

To follow on from dazed's list there's aslo chatter about them messing with health insurance. If you have private health care no bed in a public hospital for you unless you pay extra. Then water charges property tax and I bet they'll forget to stop the household charge when the property tax comes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Come home. If it doesn't work out you can always leave again. It's not so bad here, despite what you might read on AH.

There is no point being in a different country just for the sake of not being here if you're unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Hey guys I think this is ok to post here. Im 28 and just started my year in NZ all going well. But im thinking I want to return home. Im a little depressed here and unhappy.
    Id like to move back home and settle down ive been traveling now for just about three years and been a bit of a hobo. I have met loads of friends in every country of the world and am happy for that.
    I see so many Irish here and in Oz its scary. Is is all that bad? the place is home and I would like to be in a place where I am understood by people. I dont want to be rich I just want to have a job and to rent a place, simple things really
    Im curious, lots of Irish in NZ? What part?

on the other thingy, at least wait until the end of the NZ summer and the beginning of ours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Go home

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Barrythe chopper

I was a butcher in Ireland I just need to practice at it again. i havent done it for 4 years im useless at it now

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Go home
    lol. dont you mean 'come' home? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

First things first: get your money and area to stay sorted.
    If you have enough money that you can come here and live here for about a month and just try a hostel (or family if you have any here you can stay with), then you should be okay.
    Just make sure you have money to get back over.

As for the butchering thing, I'm not sure. Try see if you have friends over here that can put you in contact with a butcher that would give you a trial run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Don't do it, there's nothing to come home to. Even if you do land a job the you have to hand all your money back in PAYE, PRSI and the worst acronym of all, USC. You could spend what's left but you will incur VAT, you could save it but you'll be hit with DIRT. You could put it into a pension scheme but there's a levy on that now too.
    None of which or equivalent exists in Oz?

I was a butcher in Ireland I just need to practice at it again. i havent done it for 4 years im useless at it now
    so, Paddy's in NZ. As many as Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Barrythe chopper

Yeah Christchurch and Auckland there are loads not as many as oz but a good size population none the less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Be warned, there's a very good chance you won't get any dole so keep that in mind.

You've been gone more than 18 months so they don't have to give you anything.

And you wouldnt find out til you came home, so you'd need a good bit of savings in case. And you could end up spending what you have on surviving here while looking for work, only to have to go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Set a deadline to try and get a social circle going, the first year is often the toughest. I spent 3 years in the Czech republic, trying to learn Czech and not just do the expat thing - trying to meet and get to know Czech wasn't easy. Getting a social life for yourself can be tough I know. Maybe see if a change of town or even apartment might work better for you.

Keep your chin up, good luck.

Don't go to Oz - especially not Perth. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

MadsL wrote: »
    Set a deadline

Do this.

Give yourself six months to get settled and give a good stab at setting up a decent life for yourself. Give it everything, get involved with clubs, pursue a hobby, find a nice place to live, meet as many locals as possible and search out a decent ex pat club to get your fill of 'Irish' in the mean time.

If after all of that you feel the same, book your flight home. At least that way you won't have any regrets about not giving NZ a chance and jumping the gun too soon. It's easy to come home; not quite as easy to sort yourself out to up and leave again if things don't work out for you back home.

what? I thought Perth was paradise? No?

re the Op Q. Like any decision of consequence, know what the issue really is , (which can be tricky to figure out sometimes) and dont go by one period of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

If you're unhappy come on home. It's not all that bad here. If you've IT skill you'll probably get a job handy enough, but money isn't everything. Happiness is.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭howwedoin

Set a deadline to try and get a social circle going, the first year is often the toughest. I spent 3 years in the Czech republic, trying to learn Czech and not just do the expat thing - trying to meet and get to know Czech wasn't easy. Getting a social life for yourself can be tough I know. Maybe see if a change of town or even apartment might work better for you.

Keep your chin up, good luck.

The Irish are liked in Perth, despite what the Irish media would like you to believe. Hardly any of the Australians have a clue that the Irish are "meant" to be wrecking the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Is that all you think about? I don't care about any of that, I just live my life and pay my way. OP, just go home, 86% of the workforce have a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Yeah NZ is nice and all, lots of stuff to do outdoors but the place is rather boring socially, from my experience. A lot of Kiwis living abroad would agree with me on that one too. I would rather live in Ireland than NZ hands down, but if you have no chance of getting a job at home maybe stick it out for a while, the summer there is beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

If you want to come back, there's no shame in that - but you need to treat it like you a moving to another country: i.e. save up, plan ahead and make sure you have enough to survive the first few months. Start thinking about a training (or re-training) course.
    It is tough here, that's no secret, however it is really not that bad especially if you are single - also bear in mind that the vast majority of people DO have jobs.

Advertisement