Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman Wearing Stiliettos while driving motorbike

• 31-08-2012 8:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

This morning i saw a young lady in stilettoes driving a motorbike.
    Is "driving a motorbike" the correct wordage?:o
    (before you ask yeah looked hot from what i could see ;) )
    Was going to take a pic but didnt want to look like a right creep:rolleyes:
    I dont have a motorbike and have never ridden one but is motorbiking in high heels not dangerous? From what i know of bikes there is just a foot control for brakes i think, im more thinking from the potential accident end of things. A foot could come away very easily even in a low speed collison without proper protection:eek:
    As she came to lights she looked quite awkward when putting her feet out to hold the bike up at stops.
    Hmmm girls on motorbikes with heels..... nom nom nom:P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

That sounds a bit silly! Talk about a recipe for disaster!! I can't understand why she couldn't have worn boots, and carried her shoes in her bag and change when she reaches her destination. Another brainbox putting fashion first!! :rolleyes: Having said that, it's almost as bad as lads wearing flip-flops on a hot, sunny day! Braindead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

lads wearing flip-flops on a hot, sunny day! Braindead!!

wouldn't gear changes not really hurt? that's stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I don't think it would seriously impede her ability to ride the bike but the safety implications are obvious in terms of her coming off. You would make scheisen of any delicate shoes on the gear shifter which would be enough to make most ladies think twice! Who knows what was going through her head...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I used to ride my bike wearing boots with a heel, didn't impede anything. The heel was the right distance for easy gear changing and braking. It was quite comfortable actually, and helped me keeping my balance at lights (I have short enough legs for a lady).

cantdecide wrote: »
    Who knows what was going through her head...

Not a f**king thing! And therein lies the problem!!! :D
    Tree wrote: »
    I used to ride my bike wearing boots with a heel, didn't impede anything. The heel was the right distance for easy gear changing and braking. It was quite comfortable actually, and helped me keeping my balance at lights (I have short enough legs for a lady).

Yes but heels on a boot, and heels on a stiletto are two completely different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

FatherLen wrote: »
    wouldn't gear changes not really hurt? that's stupid.

577_1.jpg

has a special padded area for the gear changer :pac:

Wossack wrote: »
    577_1.jpg

FFS!!!! :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This morning i saw a young lady in stilettoes driving a motorbike.
    Is "driving a motorbike" the correct wordage?:o
    (before you ask yeah looked hot from what i could see ;) )
    Was going to take a pic but didnt want to look like a right creep:rolleyes:
    I dont have a motorbike and have never ridden one but is motorbiking in high heels not dangerous? From what i know of bikes there is just a foot control for brakes i think, im more thinking from the potential accident end of things. A foot could come away very easily even in a low speed collison without proper protection:eek:
    As she came to lights she looked quite awkward when putting her feet out to hold the bike up at stops.
    Hmmm girls on motorbikes with heels..... nom nom nom:P
    If she looked hot she can do what she likes!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Not a f**king thing! And therein lies the problem!!! :D

Yes but heels on a boot, and heels on a stiletto are two completely different things.
    Ankle boots with a three inch heel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I hate this sh1t........I wear what i like on the bike, full leathers or a jacket and jeans depending on my mood or where i'm going...Dont let the PC brigade destroy biking.......
    I saw a thread recently turn into an "us and them" debacle about wearing a hoodie (up) while driving a car....:rolleyes:....is that what we've (as a nation) become...:rolleyes:
    If the female rider felt safe enough in her heels then fair play..............

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Bingo481

Big difference between driving a car with a hoody up and a pair of high heels on a motorbike. Yes, its entirely up to you to wear what you want and be all macho (not you, peeps in general) until him/her has a smack and are walking with a rubber ankle or lose a limb, and the 1st thing they will say is "I should not have worn them ****in high heels/air max/jesus sandals"

Everything is always hunky ****in dory when nothing goes wrong, but when it all calms down and you learning to walk again I bet you the "FULL METAL JACKET ATTITUDE" is not worth a fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Touch wood , i'm riding since '79 and never broke a bone or had any serious injury, including being t-boned by a Saab...result badly bruised leg and shoulder..I was wearing a wax cotton jacket ,jeans and Lewis boots....
    I dont go out on the bike in the jeans thinking i'm any less safe than in my leathers..I probably drive slower maybe.....Idiots in cars dont care what youre wearing....My mates in a chair after a crash...he had full leathers and back protector on....made no difference....

Each to their own...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,349 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wossack wrote: »
    577_1.jpg

Where's the special padded area for preventing your foot from being torn off in a slide?!?

Or a large stone from a tractor going the other way.......

Sids Not wrote: »
    I hate this sh1t........I wear what i like on the bike, full leathers or a jacket and jeans depending on my mood or where i'm going...Dont let the PC brigade destroy biking.......
    I saw a thread recently turn into an "us and them" debacle about wearing a hoodie (up) while driving a car....:rolleyes:....is that what we've (as a nation) become...:rolleyes:

Spot on. I wear runners on my commute sometimes. Have a few friends who give me a look of disgust when I told them that. They always wear their full gear. Thing is, I use my bike for everything, even trips down to the shop, they just tour on theirs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Cienciano wrote: »
    Spot on. I wear runners on my commute sometimes. Have a few friends who give me a look of disgust when I told them that. They always wear their full gear. Thing is, I use my bike for everything, even trips down to the shop, they just tour on theirs!

You can loose a foot,leg or a limb on a trip to the shops too.

Thing is...your friends are "sensible".;)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I'd rather put on a pair of boots going to the shops than lose my foot because I was lazy or 'didnt have time'.

But anyways, whatever about runners, there's no excuse for wearing stilletos on a bike. Why would you even bother? Being harsh here, but to me that reeks of someone who's gone and bought a bike to just be able to say 'look at me, im a girl and i ride a bike'.

paddy147 wrote: »

Thing is...your friends are "sensible".;)
    Knew someone was going to post that! Piss off! :D
    Pipz wrote: »
    I'd rather put on a pair of boots going to the shops than lose my foot because I was lazy or 'didnt have time'.
    You're options aren't put on boots, or lose a foot! Of course everyone would rather put on boots instead of losing a foot. But chances are, that's not going to happen.

No, chances are it will happen. There is not a month that goes by that your hear about guys binning bikes, its very likely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Knew someone was going to post that! Piss off! :D

You're options aren't put on boots, or lose a foot! Of course everyone would rather put on boots instead of losing a foot. But chances are, that's not going to happen.

So you can control what every other road user does then??

You can control weather conditions and how the road surface is and its condition is (standing water,diesel spill or any slippery,muddy,gravel surface spills too).

You can predict and control all that????

You really really need to stop and think about road safety and what can happen to you via events that are way beyond your own control.

You dont seem very clued up to be honest (judging by your posts and how you see things and people)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Pipz wrote: »
    ... that reeks of someone who's gone and bought a bike to just be able to say 'look at me, im a girl and i ride a bike'.

Exhibitionists, Ted! Ladies, even pretty ones are just as vulnerable. I've seen a lady at some of the bike shows with a leg amputated at the hip. The circumstances are none of my business but assuming it was bike related, can you imagine what kind of sacrifice that would have been if your bike is just a fashion accessory. Doesn't bear thinking about.
    Bingo481 wrote: »
    Or a large stone from a tractor going the other way.......

Or another example of freaky unexpected things that may happen; one of these could open out in front of you for no apparent reason
    c83f1ef8012766bc1bdd5c9035353f2b.jpg
    (... and yes, it hurt a LOT and I swore I'd never wear jeans and runners again. Did I learn my lesson? Err, no:o)

Tree wrote: »
    Ankle boots with a three inch heel?

PMSL! Well that's a different story then! LOL

ATGATT...SIMPLES. There is no bending that rule, for me anyways.

So you can control what every other road user does then??

You can control weather conditions and how the road surface is and its condition is (standing water,diesel spill or any slippery,muddy,gravel surface spills too).
    Yep, wearing runners doesn't effect this

You can predict and control all that????
    As above

You really really need to stop and think about road safety and what can happen to you via events that are way beyond your own control.

You dont seem very clued up to be honest (judging by your posts and how you see things and people)

If I was afraid of road safety I wouldnt ride a bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

one good dose of road burn usually sorts out anyone who doesnt wear full gear.

stillettos on a bike.. seriously embarassing.

dharma200 wrote: »
    one good dose of road burn usually sorts out anyone who doesnt wear full gear.

stillettos on a bike.. seriously embarassing.
    If she was hot and wearing a miniskirt/hotpants it's ok though

If she was hot and wearing a miniskirt/hotpants it's ok though

At least when she falls off there would be a queue of lads waiting to help her :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

What a bunch of mammies, each to their own, keep yer pointy noses out (and covered if ye must).

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sids Not wrote: »

"feeling safe " ? No such thing. You're either safe, or not. "feeling safe" is BS, frankly.

My SO has bike boots, with a heel. No issue with heels, but a fashion shoe on a bike is dumb.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Haven't driven a bike in a long time, but loved it when I did.
    While I was still on a Honda 70, I met a lad who had come off a powerful bike, gloveless.

I will never forget the state of his hands and from then on never drove without proper gear (and I don't care who laughed at me on the Honda 70 all equipped up). When I got taken out of it off a Benly some years later, it was proper boots protected my ankle.

Advertisement