Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman Wearing Stiliettos while driving motorbike

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Wear what you want, simple. Unless it gets made law nobody has the right to tell anybody else what to wear on their bike regardless of whether it's in their own interests or not. Just keep your beak out.

Have worn heeled boots on the bike a few times when I didn't fancy having to change footwear, awkward for changing gears etc. but nothing you can't get used to, prefer my comfy TCX boots though. Funnily enough I didn't break every bone in my body in one of these phantom accidents that apparently only occur when you're not wearing all your gear.

:D

Sadly pixie there are those people that they feel have the right to force their opinions on others....plenty of the "i'm right youre wrong " lot on here too...which is a shame ,as we're a small enough group really....
    I ride my bikes for fun...the day i have to wear atgatt will be the day the fun stops.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Bingo481

Of course everyone has a right to wear what they want, but there comes a time when common sense over rides preference. If you are going to hit a pole or any other immovable object at 30-40-50mph or at whatever speed you seriously telling me it makes no difference if you have a back protector and chest plate would you stop ffs.

Would'nt this tread be better off if the people who do not wear the gear all the time just come out and say:-

"Look I know I should wear the gear but I dont want to wear the gear, and I know if I seriously hurt myself that is the chance I take"

Rather then saying it makes no difference in a crash that is just stupid talk....forget about the luck argument thats a given in all scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Bingo481 wrote: »

Would'nt this tread be better off if the people who do not wear the gear all the time just come out and say:-

"Look I know I should wear the gear but I dont want to wear the gear, and I know if I seriously hurt myself that is the chance I take"

QUOTE]

The only piece of gear i should wear is a lid...........If i thought as hard about crashing much as some people seem to i'd never ride a bike......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Was out with the lads from boards.ie on Sunday, was in a group of about 8 and leading as the other leader had stopped at the turn to show everyone where to go and was playing catch up. In the arseholes of Carlow somewhere, on nice twisty backroads that I was not familiar with so was not gunning it by anymeans but moving so to speak, around a tight left hand bend and the road is blocked by about 15 sheep!!!!

Well to say I nearly **** myself is an understatement, luckly no panic and they where back just enough that the bike was nearly upright from exiting the corner but man am I glad I have hel brake lines and new HH brake pads on the bike (good brakes on the FZ6 in anyway). But I shudder to think of what would have happened if I was not wearing my gear if I had hit them as the road either side was covered in trees and stone walls....each to their own by all means, and I never get on a bike thinking about a crash but when it presents itself to you its kinda hard not to be humbled and take notice.

Just my 2 cents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Was out with the lads from boards.ie on Sunday, was in a group of about 8 and leading as the other leader had stopped at the turn to show everyone where to go and was playing catch up. In the arseholes of Carlow somewhere, on nice twisty backroads that I was not familiar with so was not gunning it by anymeans but moving so to speak, around a tight left hand bend and the road is blocked by about 15 sheep!!!!

Well to say I nearly **** myself is an understatement, luckly no panic and they where back just enough that the bike was nearly upright from exiting the corner but man am I glad I have hel brake lines and new HH brake pads on the bike (good brakes on the FZ6 in anyway). But I shudder to think of what would have happened if I was not wearing my gear if I had hit them as the road either side was covered in trees and stone walls....each to their own by all means, and I never get on a bike thinking about a crash but when it presents itself to you its kinda hard not to be humbled and take notice.

Just my 2 cents.
    Been a country boy it's something I have noticed is how some Dublin lads ( not nesseccarily you Wonda-Boy although your a bit of a Meath man these days !!!! ) when they leave the city out to the sticks and seem to think that their's barely any traffic or anything go wrong. Sheep or cattle often break out of feilds, a month or two ago I passed some wild goats on the side of the road near Enniskerry (in fairness a car flashed me several times as I approached the bend). Other things can also appear at the wrong time, bales of hay can fall off the back of a tractor without the farmer noticing, even a streak of cowsh!t on a corner would be like going over a sheet of ice. Just a few weeks ago two bikes crashed into each other up in the Wicklow gap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Been a country boy it's something I have noticed is how some Dublin lads ( not nesseccarily you Wonda-Boy although your a bit of a Meath man these days !!!! ) when they leave the city out to the sticks and seem to think that their's barely any traffic or anything go wrong. Sheep or cattle often break out of feilds, a month or two ago I passed some wild goats on the side of the road near Enniskerry (in fairness a car flashed me several times as I approached the bend). Other things can also appear at the wrong time, bales of hay can fall off the back of a tractor without the farmer noticing, even a streak of cowsh!t on a corner would be like going over a sheet of ice.

Yeah, good points. In Dublin and surrounding areas there's obviously traffic and kids and other stuff to watch out for, but there's a lot they don't think about in the "country". Re: the bale of hay, I seen a truck full of bales (you know the ones, built excessively high!) on the main N4 and he lost a bale on a corner and didn't even realise. It bounced onto the bonnet of a car behind, not doing any harm or injury thank God, but can you imagine that was you or me or anyone on a bike??? :mad:
    Just a few weeks ago two bikes crashed into each other up in the Wicklow gap.

In fairness, I think that was due to one bike overtaking a coach and couldn't pull back in in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Of course everyone has a right to wear what they want, but there comes a time when common sense over rides preference. If you are going to hit a pole or any other immovable object at 30-40-50mph or at whatever speed you seriously telling me it makes no difference if you have a back protector and chest plate would you stop ffs.

Rather then saying it makes no difference in a crash that is just stupid talk....forget about the luck argument thats a given in all scenarios.

No. Why would the thread be made better by putting words in the mouths of others?
    Been a country boy it's something I have noticed is how some Dublin lads ( not nesseccarily you Wonda-Boy although your a bit of a Meath man these days !!!! ) when they leave the city out to the sticks and seem to think that their's barely any traffic or anything go wrong. Sheep or cattle often break out of feilds, a month or two ago I passed some wild goats on the side of the road near Enniskerry (in fairness a car flashed me several times as I approached the bend). Other things can also appear at the wrong time, bales of hay can fall off the back of a tractor without the farmer noticing, even a streak of cowsh!t on a corner would be like going over a sheet of ice. Just a few weeks ago two bikes crashed into each other up in the Wicklow gap.

Yep, I grew up between the country and the city and now live in the middle of nowhere so I'm used to coming across all manner of stuff on the road, farm animals, farm machinery, cow splat, plenty of loose debris of all description. In the city you're up against other vehicles and pedestrians, in the country you're up against everything.

No. Why would the thread be made better by putting words in the mouths of others?

Putting words in the mouths of others :rolleyes: I think we are all big an ugly enough on here to defend ourselves to be honest.

Can't think for ourselves on boards.ie anymore can we not, it was a subjective comment not a direct request. Like anybody is going to change the way they ride by what you or I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I think we are all big an ugly enough on here to defend ourselves to be honest.

Speak for yourself. I'm small and pretty!!! :P :pac: :pac: :pac:

(sorry, felt I had to lighten the mood!) LOL

Putting words in the mouths of others :rolleyes: I think we are all big an ugly enough on here to defend ourselves to be honest.

Can't think for ourselves on boards.ie anymore can we not, it was a subjective comment not a direct request. Like anybody is going to change the way they ride by what you or I say.

That's what you said though.

I'm not the one asking anybody to change the way they ride.

• Advertisement

Where have I asked anybody directly to do anything? So from that one post I am putting words into "Peoples mouths & telling them how to ride"

Where do you get this stuff :o:o

Moving on lads > :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Pixiebean22

"Just keep your beak out"

That is telling people what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Went around a bend a while back and the road was "resurfaced" by the council. About an inch deep of loose chippings on the road, no warning!
    Definitely take her handy around the corners. If you want to get the knee down head out to mondello.

Where have I asked anybody directly to do anything? So from that one post I am putting words into "Peoples mouths & telling them how to ride"

Where do you get this stuff :o:o

Moving on lads > :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Pixiebean22

"Just keep your beak out"

That is telling people what to do.

Oh dear. +1 for the ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

This thread is going round in circles.

The law requires a person on a bike to wear a helmet. All the rest is personal choice.

I think the moving on lads bit had something to do with it pixie.

Unlike you, I am not on here to be popular or force opinions and FYI multi-quotes left right and centre dont make your points any more valid. You thank a mod for brownie points for moving a thread along and I tried to do it a few posts back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

hobochris wrote: »
    no, Luck does play a part.

But which would you rather being wearing when luck isn't on your side? Runners jeans etc or boots + armor?

I know which I would rather.

If I could choose then I'd rather not be there, simples!

Luck is everything when it comes to crashing, armour won't save you if it can't.

TBH I choose what to wear depending on where I'm going, what mood I'm in, how fast I feel like going, that's what works for me.

That said I did a couple of laps on the IOM in shorts and runners (wore a light jacket and lid though), you'd be amazed how many heads there didn't pass any heed ;) Seems there's more sticky beaks here.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Good point blade, but nothing will save you if it cant not just armour. If your number is up its up, but wearing the full gear (if you so choose) will deffo stack the pack in your favour and reduce the severity of injuries.

Obviously I am not talking about a head on collision at speed with a truck but you get the jist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I actually think it should be compulsory for a woman to wear stiliettos on a bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Good point blade, but nothing will save you if it cant not just armour. If your number is up its up, but wearing the full gear (if you so choose) will deffo stack the pack in your favour and reduce the severity of injuries.

Obviously I am not talking about a head on collision at speed with a truck but you get the jist

You're trimming the odds maybe but the gear certainly doesn't stack the pack in your favour as you say, armour will do very little in a traffic type crash, it might save some road rash but will have very little effect against a tonne of car going over your leg, arm etc. The injuries will be the same as wearing no gear at all.
    Leather gear is great for skidding and/or impact but if you're going relatively slowly (as you would be wearing stilettos :rolleyes:) then you won't be skidding far and hopefully won't be highsiding lol.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Lads ye missed the most important issue here.

was she wearing her high viz??!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement