Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is it any wonder we're f*cked??

• 31-08-2012 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭

What in the name of holy thundering sweet jesus is this sh1t?????

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-%E2%80%98i-will-miss-you%E2%80%99-%E2%80%93-a-mum-writes-to-her-son-starting-school-578507-Aug2012/
    TO MY BOY,

How is it you are starting school this week?

It seems like only a heartbeat ago since you were this.

Then you were home with me in your tiny babygro, swaddled in your blanket.

Glen Hansard won an Oscar for Once a couple of days after you were born. We watched it together in the middle of the night, you a tiny newborn gazing up at me. Falling Slowly is our song. I sung it to you all the time when you were smaller. Now you are going to be putting on a uniform and you don’t really look for bedtime songs that much any more.

It’s a momentous step in your life. Don’t get me wrong now, it wont be taxing at first. You will mainly just colour in for the first year. You will love it. Some of the other things might take a bit of getting use to though. Your teacher will be lovely but she is there for 27 children in your class, not just you. You need to close your own coat, open your own lunchbox and wipe your own bum (dear God, please remember this part). The school is big. Very big. It’s OK though because your classroom will be cosy and I will be waiting everyday outside when you are finished.

You need to eat your lunch everyday. At the moment you only really like cucumber and yogurt for lunch. Yogurt is a non-runner for the lunchbox and you’re not going to survive on just some cucumber at school so please give sandwiches a try, please?
    Every day

You’re going to make loads of new friends. Possibly even life long ones. I met your godmother, 30 years ago on my first day of school. Not everyone will be your friend though and some of the children might do something to annoy you some days or might even be mean to you. I will tell you this is because they are having a bad day and not to let it bother you. I won’t tell you how I really feel about the potential situation of another child being mean to you as I will sound psychotic. Ignore them though, its their loss. I’ll take off my rose-tinted glasses for a split second and also ask you please don’t be mean to anyone either. I don’t think you will, you never have been before but thought it was worth a mention.

I don’t think you realise with all the excitement of starting, that it’s not just for a couple of days or weeks. This is it now. Eight years of primary school followed by another five or six of secondary school. You have to go every day. It’s not like in playschool when you were a bit tired so we stayed home and had movie days on the couch. I am sorry now I didn’t make more of the time when we weren’t tied down by school restrictions. I should have had more adventures with you. You get a lot of holidays though , we’ll adventure loads then, I promise.

I know for the first couple of weeks you are going to be demonic in the afternoon due to exhaustion. The getting up early, the colouring in, the eating of the cucumber and the looking after your own things will take it out of you. I’m prepared for that and I’ll let you away with it until October.
    Leopardskin slippers

I will also try not to bombard you with questions about your day when I collect you from school but please please please tell me some things. It’s a big thing for me, you spending hours away from me every day. I want to know every single detail about the game in the yard, at least at the start anyway.

Your big sister can’t wait for you to go to school with her. Your partner in crime, your little sister, I fear, is going to be like a lost soul without anyone to chase her for hours every morning. She will miss you. I will miss you. Your sister is just not into the hugs and kisses the way you are.

I promise to try not to cry. Although I will warn you,every year I cry when they do the segment on the news about starting school and show all the new tiny junior infants in their uniforms. Yep, that’s me your mother, crying over children I don’t know starting school. So you know it doesn’t augur well, the not crying. I cried when you finished playschool, cried when buying your uniform and will obviously cry when you put the uniform on , on Monday week.

You won’t see though, I will hide it. I won’t cry when we go into your class room. I’ll get you settled and when I leave, I will sob. You won’t see that though either. Oh your Dad, will most likely cry too. (Here’s hoping your grow up OK with two whingebags as parents.) I wont be crying because I am sad, I will be crying because I am proud of you.

So off you go, laugh, make friends, have fun, explore and learn . I promise I will never drop you to school wearing leopard skin slippers. It only happened once before but your sister is still going on about it 18 months later. I will be waiting everyday outside when you finish, looking forward to your hug. If you want to wait till we get home to hug me because you’re big now, that’s cool, I understand.

I love you baby boy, enjoy every second of it.

Deborah McCarthy has three children. She writes at TheClothesline.ie, a blog and swap site for maternity, baby and children’s clothes.

Do you have memories of starting school, or seeing children off for the first time? Leave them in the comments or email news@thejournal.ie.

is it any wonder why the country is ridiculed the way it is when people actually get paid for this tripe????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I think I'm going to be sick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I read it all; I'd say it's a parent's loving letter to a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I got to the wipe your own bum part and couldn't stop laughing.

It's sweet I think. Lots of teary eyed parents reading that I'd say.

I've definitely read worse to be fair!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

gatecrash wrote: »

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-%E2%80%98i-will-miss-you%E2%80%99-%E2%80%93-a-mum-writes-to-her-son-starting-school-578507-Aug2012/

is it any wonder why the country is ridiculed the way it is when people actually get paid for this tripe????

If that's all you've to worry about, your doing ok!
    Must be a slow morning in the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The Journal.ie the only red top without a red top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Has this women any housework to do?
    How many trees were sacrificed for this regurgitated tripe?
    At least Kavanagh could blame alcohol for the rubbish he wrote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Where is the tl;dr version??

Luca Brasi wrote: »
    Has this women any housework to do?
    How many trees were sacrificed for this regurgitated tripe?
    At least Kavanagh could blame alcohol for the rubbish he wrote

What's so wrong with it?

It's perfectly fitting this week, thousands can relate to the article and It's better than more doom and gloom articles.

tl;dr:
    OP posted an article which a writer writes an emotional letter/poem about her child.
    OP is upset because it reflects badly on all of Ireland (we normally aren't suppose to have feelings).

Dear son,

Don't forget to wipe your arse after a number 2.

Have fun in school, now I can drink wine in bed at 9am.

Love mom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

tl;dr:
    OP posted an article which a writer writes an emotional letter/poem about her child.
    OP is upset because it reflects badly on all of Ireland (we normally aren't suppose to have feelings).

OP is mildly annoyed that this is what passes for journalism in this country nowadays.

And that an editor somehow passed this for publication.

Other than that, the OP is perfectly mellow this friday morning and is looking forward to the weekend and a road trip in his new car tmrw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I read the first 3 lines and couldn't read any more.

load of tripe.

ncdadam wrote: »
    If that's all you've to worry about, your doing ok!
    Must be a slow morning in the office.

Yup! :D

OP is mildly annoyed that this is what passes for journalism in this country nowadays.

And that an editor somehow passed this for publication.

Other than that, the OP is perfectly mellow this friday morning and is looking forward to the weekend and a road trip in his new car tmrw.

Yes, a beautiful piece to remind thousands of parents (and future parents) in the country about how precious the gift of a child is, is indeed a load of tripe.

I miss the days of the workhouses in London; send the feckers off to the chimneys.

Yes, a beautiful piece to remind thousands of parents (and future parents) in the country about how precious the gift of a child is, is indeed a load of tripe.

I miss the days of the workhouses in London; send the feckers off to the chimneys.

When this kids classmates dig this up in about 10 years time i'm sure he'll be delighted with his mother for it.

And he'll be WISHING for the days of workhouses, that were pre internet!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

mauzo wrote: »
    Dear son,

Love mom

text in bold is more of a reflection of how bad things are than the OP :pac:

Hope you get stuck behind a load of school traffic on Monday OP , in yizzer new wheels!

When this kids classmates dig this up in about 10 years time i'm sure he'll be delighted with his mother for it.

And he'll be WISHING for the days of workhouses, that were pre internet!!:)

In 10 years time he'll be slaving away in the mines; no internet in there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I got to the wipe your own bum part and couldn't stop laughing.

It's sweet I think. Lots of teary eyed parents reading that I'd say.

I've definitely read worse to be fair!!

Hmmm.

this might be one of those threads were posters must say if they're male or female...

:D

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Hmmm.

this might be one of those threads were posters must say if they're male or female...

Male.
    And to make it worse, I normally hate kids. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

translation:

I wish monday week would come around quickly so I can get rid of another one for the day - now maybe if I throw the smallest into some sort of creche, it would leave me free for the day - Oh I could cry with the relief.

Sorry kids I didn't do more adventures with ye before, but I will do it on your holidays. Ya right......procrastination.com Not a chance.

and "MOM" - who calls their mother MOM in Ireland for heavens sake.

Not into this stuff to be honest - kids have been going to school for centuries - its no big deal - deal with it. Also for the records, babies have been born for centuries also - thats also no big deal - having babies wasn't invented for this generation. Deal with it. :D:D

Male.
    And to make it worse, I normally hate kids. :o
    oookaaaaayyyyyy then....

oookaaaaayyyyyy then....

I'm still not quite sure what you getting at now, though.
    I assumed you thought I was a girl but now I'm confused.

tbh wrote: »
    Dear son,

Love mom

Sorry, auto corrected from 'yer ma'

:P

I'm still not quite sure what you getting at now, though.
    I assumed you thought I was a girl but now I'm confused.
    i did. the oookaaayyyy is one of those, i'm stepping away from your girliness type ok's. ;)

just a bit of fun. right, back to work. (manly work)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Ah jeez, come on, is there nothing personal anymore?! Why the Feck would you put am open letter top your child on the net for the world to see!
    Cheap, lazy ass 'journalism'

i did. the oookaaayyyy is one of those, i'm stepping away from your girliness type ok's. ;)

just a bit of fun. right, back to work. (manly work)

BRB, having to do the nails! :pac:

not saying if it's painting them or hammering them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's cross-posted from a blog, and reads like a blog post i.e. it wasn't a commissioned piece. I doubt she did get paid, actually. If anything, it can't have been much.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

This is clearly Rabidlamb's wife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Do you really think our country is ****ed because of articles like that? :rolleyes:
    Or our "country is ridiculed" because of that article :confused:
    Guess what? It's not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

its blog
    shes obviously shes very good at it other wise she wouldnt be getting paid for it
    so whats wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Its a letter to her son.
    He is 4 - 5 doubt he would understand any of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Limp-wristed Guardian reader muck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Dear Son,

The world is overpopulated. Thanks to you, we can look forward to water wars, the rise of facist governments, mass immigration/emigration, disease, labour camps, and much, much more!

Mummy.

P.S. Don't forget to wipe the sh*t off yourself or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I think I'm going to be sick!
    smash wrote: »
    I read the first 3 lines and couldn't read any more.

load of tripe.

Hear hear, what's the world coming to when mothers actually love their children. What a disgrace! Get out there on the game woman and stick a few needles in your arm so you can be permanently wasted and leave those ankle biters at home on their own unwashed with no food, no clothes and make sure you bring a different strange man back to your house everynight so he can beat them and fiddle with them.

Jesus H, if this gets out to other countries that Irish mothers are namby pamby and love their children, we'll be a laughing stock. Quick someone get Jedward to release a new single to distract from this.

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Dear Son,

The world is overpopulated. Thanks to you, we can look forward to water wars, the rise of facist governments, mass immigration/emigration, disease, labour camps, and much, much more!

You seem to be obsessed with this fictional scenario.

You seem to be obsessed with this fictional scenario.

It's a dead cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I don't see what's so bad about this either...

OP you'll probably have children someday and coming from a parents perspective you'll understand that school to your child is a big step for them for their independance and for your independance from them.

It's a double edge sword you want them top grow up to be independant beings but you also want them to stay young without the troubles and tribulations that life brings with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

which is grand and any parent can understand it.

the mollycoddling that continues into the teenage years and beyond is what I would have a problem with. neither parents nor our education system prepare a young person for real life. everyone is a winner and nobody is better than anyone else. I have found Irish teenagers and even college students cannot cope with disappointment or someone being nasty.

It's a dead cert!
    Well if the world is over populated, what will happen with your mass immigration/emigration theory... Mars? the moon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Malena72

Its a letter to her son.
    He is 4 - 5 doubt he would understand any of it.

Yea that's why she is sending him to school so that he can first learn the alphabet, then words, verbs, pronouns, sentences etc. and when he is his "Mom's" age he will then understand this letter!!:confused::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How the f uck dies she expect a 4yr old to read and understand all that ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

You know if this was about her daughter it would have read,

'Have nice day dear and close the door for mommy when you leave...you've made your lunch haven't you?'

Irish mothers and their sons. Yeah but to be honest every country does this tripe. And believe it or not mums really do get this way about their sons first day at school. Daughters can forget it though.

Dad's reaction to son's first day is 'You're four? No way ....do i have to do anything? Does it cost me anything? It does? **** you condom failure!'

Dad's reaction to dughters first day at school, he cries silently, 'sob..sob ...sob.'

Also the Title ?? What has it to do with anything? These titles are getting tedious.

I don't begrudge parent's their self expression especially the Mum's, they work pretty hard and are under pressure during these times and maybe they like to remember these times. It's cutesy stuff like this or vodka!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I dont want to read lighthearted stuff like this! I want to read about about political corruption, greed, civil war and the latest natural disaster. Nothing puts me in a better mood

Well if the world is over populated, what will happen with your mass immigration/emigration theory... Mars? the moon?

I mean peope moving to other places due to famine etc.

And still Nero fiddles...

I mean peope moving to other places due to famine etc.

And still Nero fiddles...
    I don't see any threat of famine in the first world.

PlainP wrote: »
    I don't see what's so bad about this either...

OP you'll probably have children someday and coming from a parents perspective you'll understand that school to your child is a big step for them for their independance and for your independance from them.

It's a double edge sword you want them top grow up to be independant beings but you also want them to stay young without the troubles and tribulations that life brings with it.

I'd doubt it.
    I'd like to, but it's probably not going to happen.

It's not the sentiment that bothers me, my sister sent me pics of my nephews first day at school and i thought "awww that's nice"

I sincerly hope that this kid never has his classmates find out about this letter. Cos they will bury him with it. Teenagers can be cruel, we all know that.
    And maybe this woman should have thought about that before putting this up on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Biodegradable Bellend

This country isn't f*cked because of mothers like this who care enough for their children to take the time to do this. It's f*cked, as is the whole world f*cked, because of people like you, who lack empathy. Really, the best use of your time was to criticize a mother's love for her child?

This country isn't f*cked because of mothers like this who care enough for their children to take the time to do this. It's f*cked, as is the whole world f*cked, because of people like you, who lack empathy. Really, the best use of your time was to criticize a mother's love for her child?

It's a bs article. If she wanted to write a letter she could have just done it without having to publish it and advertise the the country that she loves her child. Honestly, who gives a shít? Most parents love their children, she's no different.

This is just an advanced version of someone throwing "baby on board/princess on board" stickers all over their car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Eugh, suddenly very nauseous.

My first day Dad dropped me off. Got the bus most days after that with an older neighbour in 3rd class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement