Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for double advertising in the cycling adverts forum

Options
  • 31-08-2012 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

I was surprised to see I got a ban this morning for posting a thread on the cycling adverts section for posting a link to a bike I am trying to sell on adverts.ie. the golf forum and the kayaking forum have no issue with this! I know this won't help me in overturning the ban, but in my opinion this is a ridiculous position for moderators to take. I was trying to highlight to the cycling community of boards.ie that I have a road bike for sale. You'd swear I was trolling all over the site!

Just seems overly bureaucratic to me, what harm is there in having an add on both? Have ye an issue if I post an add on done deal?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I would normally pass this on to Black Swan, as it's related to one of the Cycling forums that I actively moderate. If you wish to let Black Swan deal with it please reply here to that effect. I would also normally ask you to discuss this with the mod in question.

However, in the hope of drawing this to a swift conclusion, I would point out this is a clear breach of forum rules. I'm on mobile and can't link to them, but if you care to read them they specifically prohibit advertising anything you have for sale elsewhere, or linking to any such ads. This applies to adverts.ie, donedeal, ebay, your local shop or anywhere else. The reasoning behind this rule is not a topic for discussion within this dispute thread (although I am happy to take it offline if you wish)

Now you were not banned, but a red card was issued. As it was your first breach of forum charter it should have been a yellow card, and hence, if you agree I shall arrange for the red to be overturned and issue a yellow in it's place

Please advise if you are happy with this, or alternatively if you would like Black Swan to investigate it further

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Beasty wrote: »
    OK, I would normally pass this on to Black Swan, as it's related to one of the Cycling forums that I actively moderate. If you wish to let Black Swan deal with it please reply here to that effect. I would also normally ask you to discuss this with the mod in question.

However, in the hope of drawing this to a swift conclusion, I would point out this is a clear breach of forum rules. I'm on mobile and can't link to them, but if you care to read them they specifically prohibit advertising anything you have for sale elsewhere, or linking to any such ads. This applies to adverts.ie, donedeal, ebay, your local shop or anywhere else. The reasoning behind this rule is not a topic for discussion within this dispute thread (although I am happy to take it offline if you wish)

Now you were not banned, but a red card was issued. As it was your first breach of forum charter it should have been a yellow card, and hence, if you agree I shall arrange for the red to be overturned and issue a yellow in it's place

Please advise if you are happy with this, or alternatively if you would like Black Swan to investigate it further

Thanks

No, I'm not disputing it. It was a breach, I just don't agree with the rule. No interest in pursuing it further, waste of time really.

Thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK - I'll arrange for the red card to be replaced with a yellow

This can now be marked Resolved

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement