Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal studies courses

• 31-08-2012 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Enquiring about legal studies courses in the dublin/Louth area seen one in Griffith college Dublin however wanting to know more about it or any other advice on the matter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Firstly, and I'm sorry to sound flippant, but get used to search functions. Lots and lots of search functions.

To be honest your post gives very little information on what exactly it is you're looking for. Full time, part time? Hoping to become a solicitor / barrister - just doing it for kicks? So I can only give very general advice.

There are few jobs in the area but the area of study, for me any way, is very rewarding. There is massive amounts of reading but the concepts (initially at least) are not that complex.

GCD is grand - I'm there myself. Lecturers go from reasonable - amazing (Ciara Fitzgerald in Contract and Land Law is a amazing lecturer.) GCD also have a few little perks form being a round as long as they have been. They also have a good range of extracurricular activities going on like mooting, debating visits to the courts etc as well as the customary p!ss-ups at any given opportunity.

From what I've seen of the ILEX course (the legal exec course) they get a really good range of subjects including Criminology which is again given my a very good lecturer - loads of class involvement but there is some work involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Holsy90

To be honest I'm only Started looking hence why I came on this ... For advice im new to boards Dont really know how it works I'm still learning .

I want to do it full time as I feel it's something I will have an interest in I have been in college for the last 3 years so college life is nothing new to me , just want to see if others have done the course and what they thought of it :)

Holsy90 wrote: »
    To be honest I'm only Started looking hence why I came on this ... For advice im new to boards Dont really know how it works I'm still learning .

I want to do it full time as I feel it's something I will have an interest in I have been in college for the last 3 years so college life is nothing new to me , just want to see if others have done the course and what they thought of it :)

Are you talking about a degree?

General thoughts - great craic in the current class (e.g. the Second years this year) but GCD goes though phases of more serious students (like the current 3rd years). The year I'm in have loads going on again this year so imo if you are not going for a traditional Uni - GCD is probably the closest you'll get in regards to activities. Who knows I could be wrong but I didn't see a single City, Indo or DBS student at an events last year.

GCD also have the innocence project and a this year a FLAC centre is being set up - so there are some external thing going on.

The course itself is pretty well laid out - good lecturers - faculty that listens if there are problems. Some of the lecturers are better than others. We've had a bit of a blow in Roderic O'Gorman and Brian Foley leaving but frankly Constitutional Law is few people's favourite subjects so a new lecturer isn't going to impact you that badly.

College v University - We get lots and lots and loads and sheds - of contact hours. IMHO too many - that said it suited some of the younger folks as they didn't study independently as well as they maybe should have. If you like a 'teaching' rather than 'lecturing' environment you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Holsy90

Holsy90 wrote: »

Are you talking about a degree?

General thoughts - great craic in the current class (e.g. the Second years this year) but GCD goes though phases of more serious students (like the current 3rd years).

The course I seen online was an advanced diploma in gcd with all the content that u speak of example contract law ,Irish law ect, it seemed very interesting I have done Both contract and Irish law in my current course and I really enjoyed it I've always had legal studies in my mind but its only really now I would love to do it .

It seemed like the best course I have seen online however it's very expensive I'm willing to pay but just wanna make sure I'm not missin out on any other less expensive courses .

I can't really speak to their diploma or distance learning courses. IMO all the advantages GCD have are on Campus. Frankly the best part time legal studies course is probably the Kings Inns one so it's hard to recommend anything else. As for distance learning - its English Law but the Open University really has an edge in that you can literally do a few modules in various subjects and come out with a degree.

Just my rambling thoughts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement