Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Books

Options
  • 31-08-2012 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi,

Just after reading the Excellent 'Paddle' by Jasper Winn in which the author tells of his journey around Ireland in a Kayak.

Got me wondering if anyone has walked around the coast of Ireland and if anyone has documented their journey. A quick search on Amazon doesn't throw up anything (other than 'Around Ireland with a Fridge').

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on books on the Outdoors in Ireland, please do share them - looking for some reading material for when the dreaded long nights kick in. Read 'The Height of Nonsense' a while back and really enjoyed it (about an guy doing the County Tops of Ireland).

Cheers,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I wonder if, in fact, it's even possible to walk around the coast of Ireland for any significant distance without having to divert inland for large parts of it given the state of our access laws and the considerable amount of private land around the coastline.

The recently opened Wales Coast Path even has about 20% of it not running along the actual coast, so I don't hold out much hope for an Ireland Coast Path.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

paulocon2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just after reading the Excellent 'Paddle' by Jasper Winn in which the author tells of his journey around Ireland in a Kayak.

Got me wondering if anyone has walked around the coast of Ireland and if anyone has documented their journey. A quick search on Amazon doesn't throw up anything (other than 'Around Ireland with a Fridge').

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on books on the Outdoors in Ireland, please do share them - looking for some reading material for when the dreaded long nights kick in. Read 'The Height of Nonsense' a while back and really enjoyed it (about an guy doing the County Tops of Ireland).

Cheers,
    Paul

I havent read it so i can't say whether it's any good or not but Rambling Around Ireland by Peter Lynch might be what you're looking for. Some of Michael Fewer's books cover parts of the Irish coast as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

Alun wrote: »
    I wonder if, in fact, it's even possible to walk around the coast of Ireland for any significant distance without having to divert inland for large parts of it given the state of our access laws and the considerable amount of private land around the coastline.

The recently opened Wales Coast Path even has about 20% of it not running along the actual coast, so I don't hold out much hope for an Ireland Coast Path.

That's a valid point and would totally agree.

When I say walking around the coast however, I don't mean literally sticking to the coastline the whole way - I am sure someone must have hiked around the country using roads etc.

Judge wrote: »
    I havent read it so i can't say whether it's any good or not but Rambling Around Ireland by Peter Lynch might be what you're looking for. Some of Michael Fewer's books cover parts of the Irish coast as well.

Thanks, I will look into that. A guy I know mentioned this book to me recently as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Here's a few a I've read recently.
    Reviews etc on Amazon

At The Edge: Walking the Atlantic Coast of Ireland and Scotland
    by Joseph Murphy

Endurance: Heroic Journeys in Ireland
    by Dermot Somers

Burren Country: Travels Through an Irish Limestone Landscape
    by our old friend Paul Clements

Guaranteed to have you pulling out the maps to plot a few new routes:)

• Advertisement

acorn wrote: »
    At The Edge: Walking the Atlantic Coast of Ireland and Scotland
    by Joseph Murphy
    Perfect. Just what I was looking for. Will order that one today.

acorn wrote: »
    Burren Country: Travels Through an Irish Limestone Landscape
    by our old friend Paul Cements
    Really enjoyed 'The Height of Nonsense' so will get hold of that also.

Thanks very much for the suggestions - exactly what I was looking for.

Advertisement