Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a beginner!

Options
  • 31-08-2012 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a serious interest in this and am going to get started tomorrow. Since I dont know anyone who actually does Fish I cannot ask any advice.

What do I need to get started? I wouldnt mind heading down the river to a quiet bank and fish away alone there for the day.

What kit would I need for river fishing? Rod? Reel? Strenght of line? bait? hooks? etc.

I am in Athlone and have two good fishing shops either side of the Shannon so i am sure all would be available!

I have no idea and am looking to purchase tomorrow morning and have a trial and error saturday

Thanks,
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have a serious interest in this and am going to get started tomorrow. Since I dont know anyone who actually does Fish I cannot ask any advice.

What do I need to get started? I wouldnt mind heading down the river to a quiet bank and fish away alone there for the day.

What kit would I need for river fishing? Rod? Reel? Strenght of line? bait? hooks? etc.

I am in Athlone and have two good fishing shops either side of the Shannon so i am sure all would be available!

I have no idea and am looking to purchase tomorrow morning and have a trial and error saturday

Thanks,
    Gary

Go to the tackle shops and tell them you have a budget, explain you are new to fishing and Im sure one of them will sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

as above and get yourself a fishing book like fishing for dummies,easons have all these.its a very rewarding way to wind down and relax.
    also plenty od DVDs on sale,look for names such as matt hayes/john wilson,these guys make loads of tv shows where you will find them on some sky tv channels.
    dont expect too much at the start but you will get better with practice which is half the fun.
    tight lines..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Avoid John Wilson as you'll get in the habit of laughing everytime you catch sometime( main reason I don't watch him) but he is good
    Best thing to do is find someone that fishes to bring you to a shop and get the gear because I'd you go in to angling shop the majority of them will sell you gear that is overpriced and charge you too much
    They'll sell you a rod and reel for 120 when a rod and reel for 70 does same job so just be aware
    Also I'm assumin your going to fish the Shannon or the suck so don't forget spinning for trout can produce good size pike aswell so strength of line varies
    Don't forget it's an outdoor sport and it's Ireland so it rains a lot but doesn't mean fishing won't be good so Don't moan when it rains :D
    Just make sure you don't get ripped off and more importantly enjoy it as Your first fish will have you hooked!!
    Atb and tight lines

Advertisement