Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overgrown brambles causing danger in Bray

• 31-08-2012 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

There is a section of the Vevay road between the Church road junction and Vevay Crescent that has thorny bushes overgrowing onto the footpath by as much as two feet.
    This section of already narrow path is very busy with young school kids and people with prams heading down to the 3 schools on this road.
    I witnessed this morning a child being forced out onto the road almost into the path of a car coming up the Vevay road.
    Could Bray Town Council attend to this please.
    These thorny bushes and brambles need to be cut back regularly.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Zebbedee wrote: »
    There is a section of the Vevay road between the Church road junction and Vevay Crescent that has thorny bushes overgrowing onto the footpath by as much as two feet.
    This section of already narrow path is very busy with young school kids and people with prams heading down to the 3 schools on this road.
    I witnessed this morning a child being forced out onto the road almost into the path of a car coming up the Vevay road.

I dont think the Council are on Boards.ie ...

http://www.braytowncouncil.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

I dont think the Council are on Boards.ie ...

http://www.braytowncouncil.ie/

Thank you, I know that but at least one of them posts and reads posts in this forum.
    I won't name him/her for fear of causing any embarressment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I would suggest contacting the council or sending the Councillor a pm.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I cut my big hedge today with a hedge clippers. It took me 30 mins to do.

Why not grab a clippers and head up and cut the bushes. Might be quicker to do it yourself.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I cut my big hedge today with a hedge clippers. It took me 30 mins to do.

Why not grab a clippers and head up and cut the bushes. Might be quicker to do it yourself.

I would have no problem doing that but I'm sure it would contravene some sort of local bye law and may have insurance implications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

I would have no problem doing that but I'm sure it would contravene some sort of local bye law and may have insurance implications.

Ah come on. It's that type of attitude that gets nothing done. Bye laws and insurance for cutting down a few brambles? Get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Cant say I blame him. What is he supposed to do with the cuttings? He will have to pay himself for disposal or risk being fined for littering. Shouldn't this household charge be covering things like this?

Who actually owns the property the hedges are on?

gavinjc wrote: »
    Ah come on. It's that type of attitude that gets nothing done. Bye laws and insurance for cutting down a few brambles? Get out.

I agree with you completely.
    However I'm not prepared to leave myself open to litigation if anybody trips up or gets injured or gets hit by a car while being forced out onto the road. With the high level of traffic both on the path and on the road at that particular section it would not be advisable not to take precautions.
    Why do you think contractors who cut hedges on the sides of roads have to have advanced warning of works being carried out and have public liability insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

Perhaps I wasn't aware of the scale of the problem. A few brambles - get on it. A whole bush load, not your responsibility.
    If they are planted within somebody's property and spilling onto the road, then I'd imagine it's their responsibility and the council won't be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

foxy06 wrote: »
    Cant say I blame him. What is he supposed to do with the cuttings? He will have to pay himself for disposal or risk being fined for littering. Shouldn't this household charge be covering things like this?

Lol...theres still people that believe the household charge will be used for local services!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Maudi wrote: »
    foxy06 wrote: »

Lol...theres still people that believe the household charge will be used for local services!!

Sarcasm at its best.

gavinjc wrote: »
    Perhaps I wasn't aware of the scale of the problem. A few brambles - get on it. A whole bush load, not your responsibility.
    If they are planted within somebody's property and spilling onto the road, then I'd imagine it's their responsibility and the council won't be interested.

Its growing along an earthen bank beside the footpath so it would be
    the council's responsibility.
    The bank is 30 or 40 feet long and the clippings would fill the back of
    one of the council vans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Its growing along an earthen bank beside the footpath so it would be
    the council's responsibility.
    The bank is 30 or 40 feet long and the clippings would fill the back of
    one of the council vans.
    Have you reported it directly to Bray Town Council yet ? If not, why not ?

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Have you reported it directly to Bray Town Council yet ? If not, why not ?

Fair question.
    If I'm honest, no I haven't.
    I suppose I was half heartedly hoping it just might get done
    without me having to report it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fair question.
    If I'm honest, no I haven't.
    I suppose I was half heartedly hoping it just might get done
    without me having to report it. ;)

In fairness - you really shouldn't have assumed posting it here would get anything done!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

In fairness - you really shouldn't have assumed posting it here would get anything done!

you never know, it might get the Bray people to write an article about it... :D

I agree though, it is a problem all over the town. You have to be on the ball going jogging some parts, the amount of times I've zoned out looking at the ground only to look up at the last minute just in time to duck and avoid a giant thorn to the eyeball, it's not even funny.

Around by the Ramada(or whatever it's called now) is particularly bad, as is a lot of the southern cross stretch. I think I remember some debate over whether maintenance of the southern cross stretch was Bray or Wicklow council's responsibility a while back. You'd think it would be the Hotel's responsibility to keep theirs trimmed though, just like any householder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Im making a movie about this at the moment for a local disability service with some funding from Wicklow CO CO. Its called Bray Pedestrian Access and will highlight the good and bad points of access in the town for people of all abilities. Hope to have it finished real soon. You will be able to view it on our blog www.sunbeamnews.com or our Youtube channel....http://www.youtube.com/user/SunbeamMedia?feature=mhee

The thorny brambles have been cut back recently.
    Plenty of room now for parents with 1 or 2 kids to negotiate path at peak time around 9am.
    Thanks to whoever was responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

It's a thorny issue alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aybUwDF4T6g&feature=share&list=UU1sjYC5WPszq2EhaOUyiFvw

Heres the link to the video I mentioned in a previous post. Its finally finished. Bray Pedestrian Access. Hope to present it to the council and other groups. Might make a few dvds and give them to people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement