Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about starting up business in online retail

Options
  • 31-08-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice as interviews are leading no where for me so i need to figure out something to get myself earning again. This is where I need help :)

I know people will prob think Im crazy and foolish but I am thinking of opening an online store. I understand that people can think "build a website and people will come" and i am not naive and i understand there is a huge mountain to climb and lots of hard work but i figure i may try seeing as i am finding it hard to get a job and I don't want to sit at home all day as such.

The product I want to sell is a niche area in retail. You can already buy online but mainly from UK. I do know my USP's, target area etc.

But I am wondering what do people think is the best way to get the site "out there"? I have a facebook page which is doing ok for a new page even though I have no website yet (its built just not up yet). Is there companys that can do that?

The easy parts are done:
    1. website built (not live)
    2. suppliers sourced

Also I need by law to have my phone number and address on the site. This is a little problem I need to find a solution for.

I live in a rural area with the nearest Garda station 20 mins away. There has been many many break in's in the last few months with the local shop robbed 4 times in 6 months and many houses done also. I am nervous putting my address on the site as I will have my house full of stock :( Is there any way around this? I don't want to come across as a "scam" site and for returns I have no problem giving customers my address, but could i maybe "vary" the address to a local townland? I don't want to break the law but it is concerning me having it up on the site.

You know, this might just totally fail and waste my time but I think no harm in trying and learning along the way. There is a guy called ronan who has a costume site and i have been reading his posts here etc and I have to hand it to him he has done a brilliant job building his business'. So I am thinking why not give it a shot... any advice? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Can't you rent a virtual address of some like Kendelbell?

Google virtual address Ireland and see what comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

How are you hoping to accept money?
    I ask because to get a secure cert (i.e. the https in the url), you need to have a registered company and the details of that company (e.g. address, telephone number) will be verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

House/business insurance should be able to cover this - once you notify your insurer of the stock and value that you're keeping in the house.

Think you're being slightly too paranoid tbh - it could certainly happen that some one will come across your address, realise you have stock in your home, stake out the house and swoop on a good time, but it could equally happen that when you go to the shop tomorrow, some random opportunist decides to break in. Thats life.

As to getting your business out there - google SEO [search engine optimization] and something like 'marketing/promotion for new/small business' or whatever, you'll quickly realise that there are 100s of tips, blogs etc...

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lighter1

Thanks for the replies.. with regards to the virtual office is it ok to use that address on my site? I am not breaking any law no?

Re - the payments, this will be done via PayPal to start with. I wasn't aware you need to be registered as a business in order to get them. Surely though as I have my .ie it won't be a problem.

Ill ring the house insurance but won't it change then to commercial insurance? I am in a housing estate so this might not work. I don't think I am being paranoid at all. Yes thats true someone can rob a warehouse which if my stock was there I wouldn't care as insurance would cover it and my family wouldn't be effected. But I don't want a situation where someone brakes into my house to rob my stock and my family/kids are put through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

Don't worry to much about having your address online, take a look at Ebay for example all the business sellers addresses are online below their listings to follow the regulations set out the EU Distance Selling Regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Your registered address can be that of your accountant or a serviced office.

Taking that first step is always the hardest - you're making the effort so good luck with it all! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Your registered address can be that of your accountant or a serviced office.

Taking that first step is always the hardest - you're making the effort so good luck with it all! :)

as said above or if you know someone else in business ask if you can use their address to accept post / returns.

Overall, the best advice I can give is to offer BRILLIANT customer service. In the online world, you lack the face to face contact of regualr retail, so you must have facebook, a mailing programme such as "constant contact", quick and definitive answers to customer queries and an absolute no quibble returns policy (some will take advantage, but you find them out quickly)

Then get link to your site to beef up your google rankings - anyone and everyone you know with a website, ask for a link. And then over a period of about 12 months, the business will start growing, but it could be year 2 or year 3 before you see a real return, but the beauty is, once you start making a profit, its very hard to stop as your base costs stay low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 bobbymoore1

If you're that unsure about your address, why not contact An Post about a PO Box address? Think it's €240 for the year to rent, it's expensive but maybe a solution for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you're that unsure about your address, why not contact An Post about a PO Box address? Think it's €240 for the year to rent, it's expensive but maybe a solution for you?

A lot of businesses won't supply a PO Box No. What if you don't pay them, where do they go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I think Boddy means use the PO Box for use with customers not with suppliers.

Some people are put off my po boxes which I do not understand as they are commonly used by large co's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JCabot

The address provided online does not necessarily mean where stock is stored. Some online stores use logistics companies to store and ship for them.

Register the site as much as possible to improve seo.

As for someone staking out your home I think to do this they would need to get an understanding of the families movements and this cant be dont in one evening it would take time. If its anything like the rural place I live any unusal car especially one hanging around really stands out.

Advertisement