Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nelson Mandela terrorist?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Thread derailers in thread derailment shocker..... Mandela...Adams....any of you guys remember what the thread was about?

Anyway..back to the OP.... as a lot have already said, Mandela is no angel and I am personally surprised by the amount of people that have forgotten the darker history. However a lot of good has been done in SA that is directly attributable to the struggle so it tends to 'rose tint' history a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Did the MK kill any civilians in its initial 1960s campaign, or was it only after Mandela was imprisoned that they carried out attacks on innocent people?

I can't seem to confirm it either way.

I just looked at the TRC findings. Looks like he was imprisoned before they actually became active.
    33. An analysis of the information received by the Commission confirms that there were no actions of note taken by MK inside South Africa during the period 1964 to 1975

It should also be noted that the TRC found there were about 140 civillians killed by the MK (out of a total of 250ish) and I can only think of 2 where innocents were targeted. One is a bar in Durban and another was a shopping centre I think in Gauteng somewhere (then the Transvaal). I know the shopping centre one was the guy doing it of his own back, not a planned attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Are you accusing me of being a serial rapist?

Is that all you have? A pathetic appeal to moderation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It's fairly simple in my book. If the PIRA had stuck to what they claimed and targeted military or political targets then they could claim to be freedom fighters, but a big part of their campaign was against civilians, which is terrorism.

Is state forces killing unarmed civilians terrorism in your view? Question is valid as state forces have engaged irregular forces in both conflicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Rascasse wrote: »
    Did the MK kill any civilians in its initial 1960s campaign, or was it only after Mandela was imprisoned that they carried out attacks on innocent people?
    I can't seem to confirm it either way.
    I just looked at the TRC findings. Looks like he was imprisoned before they actually became active.
    33. An analysis of the information received by the Commission confirms that there were no actions of note taken by MK inside South Africa during the period 1964 to 1975
    It should also be noted that the TRC found there were about 140 civillians killed by the MK (out of a total of 250ish) and I can only think of 2 where innocents were targeted. One is a bar in Durban and another was a shopping centre I think in Gauteng somewhere (then the Transvaal). I know the shopping centre one was the guy doing it of his own back, not a planned attack.

I remember their initial plan was one of disruption to the system but Mandela refused to renounce the armed struggle when he was offered freedom initially which cost him a lot of support.

I was at a rally in Clapham to mark his 25th year of imprisonment and by that time he had become the face of the anti apartheid campaign. I also did the picket of the SA embassy a couple of times as well.

It is amazing to look back at those days. The three biggest things happening in my teenage world was SA, the North and the cold war.

The world has certainly changed.

gurramok wrote: »
    It's fairly simple in my book. If the PIRA had stuck to what they claimed and targeted military or political targets then they could claim to be freedom fighters, but a big part of their campaign was against civilians, which is terrorism.
    Is state forces killing unarmed civilians terrorism in your view? Question is valid as state forces have engaged irregular forces in both conflicts.

I don't think there is a yes or no answer for that.

By today's standards, a strategy of targeting civilians is either terrorism or a war crime. Rogue soldiers deliberately killing innocent people is murder (or a war crime, or both).

Were the UVF terrorists or freedom fighters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I think "nonselect" Militia would be more accurate

kingtiger wrote: »
    I think "nonselect" Militia would be more accurate

Or blood thirsty bastards......

Advertisement