Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kirwan(Menlo Park) Roundabout Plans on public display-another slap to residents.

Options
  • 31-08-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

http://www.galwaynews.ie/27550-city-kirwan-roundabout-plans-go-public-display

Appologies if this is in another thread but i didnt see it.Basically the City Council officals ignored the Residents of the area's wishes and have come back with more or less the exact same plan they had to begin with.There is 5 exits off that roundabout at the moment that they want to make into a T-junction which will obviously bring it down to 4 exits.The one direct exit from that roundabout that they want to drop is the road by the Menlo Park Hotel.This will be placed by a slip road which will come onto the already busy Headford Rd near the roundabout but not on it.There wont be traffic lights at the junction of that slip road and the Headford Rd meaning thousands of cars each day will be hoping to be "let out" by kind drivers on the Headford Rd.Its crazy.Why not drop the exit at the Sandy Rd,Liosban Estate and have an exit come onto the Eastern Bypass Rd instead???No doubt City Councillors will claim that exit is vital for jobs in the Industrial Estate etc.A rd coming onto the Eastern By-Pass rd for that Industrial Estate would be sufficent for them(they already have the Tuam Rd exit).At a meeting of residents and city officals these points were made but were blatantly ignored by officals.So residents of the Terryland/Ballinfoyle Parish area are getting screwed AGAIN:mad:.
    Another example of this is the area is far older then Knocknacarra and Barna yet their community centres are being built right now while 32+ yrs later Terryland/Ballinfoyle residents are still waiting for theirs to be built.I remember Derek Nolan saying when he was running for local councillor for the area that he would fight for all of these issues for the residents,ya right:mad:.
    Plus despite the number of break-in's in the area being high the area was one of only 2 or 3 in the city to lose its community Garda.
    What do residents of this are have to do to get listened to and not continually slapped in the face by officals??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

An exit coming on to the bypass will only cater for west bound traffic. Not to mention that your proposed exit is also a back entrance to the industrial estates there meaning that only west bound traffic could enter off the dual carriageway. Like it or not your proposal would have a serious impact on businesses in the sandyroad/terryland/liosbaun area. I'm guessing they have chosen the lesser of two evils, however they should put lights on the junction of the new menlo slip road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When do we march on City Hall?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Did the councillors not back the Menlo/Castlelawn etc residents after the public meeting in the Marriot back in around March???? And what has gone wrong since??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Did the councillors not back the Menlo/Castlelawn etc residents after the public meeting in the Marriot back in around March???? And what has gone wrong since??

No they sided with the business interests in the Liosban. It was mentioned in the thread that got moved to infra.

Here's the article
    Galway city council has voted to remove the Kirwan roundabout at the Menlo Park Hotel.

At last evening's city council meeting, councillors voted 9 - 6 in favour of replacing the roundabout with a signalised junction as part of the n6 Bothar na dTreabh scheme.

Councillors were asked to vote on one of three options- the first was diverting a road from the Menlo Park Hotel grounds through to the Headford road, the second involved the closure of the Liosban leg of the junction and creating a new access road, and the third was to do nothing and leave the roundabout intact.

After debating the issue for over two hours, the majority of councillors voted in favour of option one, also the preferred option of the city transportation unit.

The four leg signalised junction with the re-alignment of the road from the Menlo Park Hotel to a new T.junction can now proceed to the planning process.

Glad to see the back of that roundabout to be honest. The amount of people who turn left coming from the dual carriageway but yet approach in the right hand lane is ridiculous. I've been cut off several times going straight onto menlo road. Last week coming from bodkin roundabout approaching in right hand lane to turn right onto bothar na dtreabh an idiot approached alongside me in the left lane and proceed to go all the way around the roundabout in the left lane to turn back towards terryland and cut me off as i tried to access the dual carriageway. The amount of bad driving on the kirwin and bodkin roundabouts is shocking and the city will be better off without them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

zarquon wrote: »
    Glad to see the back of that roundabout to be honest. The amount of people who turn left coming from the dual carriageway but yet approach in the right hand lane is ridiculous. I've been cut off several times going straight onto menlo road. Last week coming from bodkin roundabout approaching in right hand lane to turn right onto bothar na dtreabh an idiot approached alongside me in the left lane and proceed to go all the way around the roundabout in the left lane to turn back towards terryland and cut me off as i tried to access the dual carriageway. The amount of bad driving on the kirwin and bodkin roundabouts is shocking and the city will be better off without them

Couldn't agree with you more. The worst roundabout in town. I use it every day and both of these things seem to be the norm unfortunately. At least 3-5 times a week i'm cut off trying to get onto the headford rd by people who approach from the bodkin in the left hand lane and then go onto bothar na dtreabh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Aiel wrote: »
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/27550-city-kirwan-roundabout-plans-go-public-display

....The one direct exit from that roundabout that they want to drop is the road by the Menlo Park Hotel.This will be placed by a slip road which will come onto the already busy Headford Rd near the roundabout but not on it. ... At a meeting of residents and city officals these points were made but were blatantly ignored by officals.So residents of the Terryland/Ballinfoyle Parish area ...

Do you have any figures for how likely people from the Ballinfoyle Park area are to drive up to Tirellan Heights so they can then drive back down and exit the area via the roundabout - vs existing at the existing Ballinfoyle Rd / Headford Rd junctions? If these people want to turn right, why not just send them down the Dyke Rd instead? (granted it needs be be widened in places).

The fact that it's an older suburb is possibly the reason why it doesn't have a community centre - the same way that Salthill doesn't have one.

TBH, someone has to be the loser at this junction, and if it's a toss-up between the Castlelawn/Tirellan/Menlo residents VS the people who use Liosban, it's pretty obvious which side will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

JustMary wrote: »
    TBH, someone has to be the loser at this junction, and if it's a toss-up between the Castlelawn/Tirellan/Menlo residents VS the people who use Liosban, it's pretty obvious which side will win.

It's true just follow the money - who has been paying for the rates and water in this city to date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

It's true just follow the money - who has been paying for the rates and water in this city to date.

Of course if we had proper local rates or a residential property tax then that would help put the power back into residents hands...

Better go and wash my mouth/keyboard out with soapy water now ..........

antoobrien wrote: »
    No they sided with the business interests in the Liosban. It was mentioned in the thread that got moved to infra

I knew we discussed it. Forgot where it went..feared it was deleted even. :)

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I knew we discussed it. Forgot where it went..feared it was deleted even. :)

Indeed, I think there may well be an older thread but I can't find it (or I could be confusing it with one of a number of discussions on Terryland).

Nope. All in there. Probably safe to move it back in here too as long as nobody mentions the dreaded 'c' word. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Acidflash wrote: »
    Couldn't agree with you more. The worst roundabout in town. I use it every day and both of these things seem to be the norm unfortunately. At least 3-5 times a week i'm cut off trying to get onto the headford rd by people who approach from the bodkin in the left hand lane and then go onto bothar na dtreabh.

I would have thought the tesco roundabout would be worse.
    how do ye find coming the slipway at that roundabout? do these kind of slipways work well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Standard practice on Kirwan, regardless of the RoTR and local signage.

Roundabout abuse (and abusive roundabouts) is the normal situation in Galway, and this is one of the worst locations. I too will be glad to see the back of it (is that technically possible?!) though I wouldn't be too hopeful that it will completely eliminate dangerous and stupid driving and other hazards, especially for more vulnerable road users.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Standard practice on Kirwan, regardless of the RoTR and local signage.

Roundabout abuse (and abusive roundabouts) is the normal situation in Galway, and this is one of the worst locations. I too will be glad to see the back of it (is that technically possible?!) though I wouldn't be too hopeful that it will completely eliminate dangerous and stupid driving and other hazards, especially for more vulnerable road users.
    You can never completely eliminate risk, but you can certainly minimise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Glad to see the back of that roundabout to be honest. The amount of people who turn left coming from the dual carriageway but yet approach in the right hand lane is ridiculous. I've been cut off several times going straight onto menlo road

I'm probally having a Homer Simpson moment here, but if you are comming from the dual carriage way and heading to the Menlo rd, could one also make the argument tht could go in the right lane yourself .....as the Menlo road is the 3rd exit of that round about?

Left lane on any round about is for 1st and 2nd exit, which is traditionally left and straight . But on tht round about, the 1st exit is Sandy Rd, and the 2nd exit is onto the headford rd towards Dunnes and the Bridge.

Menlo despite being straight ahead you could use the right lane as its the 3rd exit? I cant recall if the lanes are marked.

Not picking on you, i completely agree with you, some shocking stuff there. Just offering you a possible reason why people do what you have described, the rules of the road does say for a third exit, stay in the right lane unless otherwise indicated.

I use tht round about twice a day and see the same nonsense both inbound and outbound. Wont miss it myself either, I think a junction could improve traffic if done properly,certainly at evening rush hour.

3rd exit is at 12 O' Clock therefore correct procedure is left hand lane for this exit. Either way the point is right hand lane for left turn at 9 o'clock is just plane stupid driving. Whats even more stupid are the reactions of people doing such a move and cutting others off, a few times i have received angry looks from the other cars as if i'm the person in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Fuinseog wrote: »
    how do ye find coming the slipway at that roundabout? do these kind of slipways work well?

Can't say I use the bridge too much these days but that sliproad is pointless IMO. It's of no advantage for anyone going into Dun na Coiribe and is just used by people who think it's a 'shortcut' or are too impatient to wait for a few seconds at the lights.
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I too will be glad to see the back of it (is that technically possible?!) though I wouldn't be too hopeful that it will completely eliminate dangerous and stupid driving and other hazards, especially for more vulnerable road users.

It certainly won't but as someone else said it will lower the chances of an incident there. Hopefully it won't turn into another briarhill where breaking the lights seems to have become quite common.

Can't say I use the bridge too much these days but that sliproad is pointless IMO. It's of no advantage for anyone going into Dun na Coiribe and is just used by people who think it's a 'shortcut' or are too impatient to wait for a few seconds at the lights.
    If that's the case, why don't I see long tailbacks every hour on that sliproad?

Mr Keek wrote: »
    I'm probally having a Homer Simpson moment here, but if you are comming from the dual carriage way and heading to the Menlo rd, could one also make the argument tht could go in the right lane yourself .....as the Menlo road is the 3rd exit of that round about?

Left lane on any round about is for 1st and 2nd exit, which is traditionally left and straight . But on tht round about, the 1st exit is Sandy Rd, and the 2nd exit is onto the headford rd towards Dunnes and the Bridge.

Menlo despite being straight ahead you could use the right lane as its the 3rd exit? I cant recall if the lanes are marked.

Not picking on you, i completely agree with you, some shocking stuff there. Just offering you a possible reason why people do what you have described, the rules of the road does say for a third exit, stay in the right lane unless otherwise indicated.

I use tht round about twice a day and see the same nonsense both inbound and outbound. Wont miss it myself either, I think a junction could improve traffic if done properly,certainly at evening rush hour.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056663225

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

3rd exit is at 12 O' Clock therefore correct procedure is left hand lane for this exit. Either way the point is right hand lane for left turn at 9 o'clock is just plane stupid driving. Whats even more stupid are the reactions of people doing such a move and cutting others off, a few times i have received angry looks from the other cars as if i'm the person in the wrong.

I always went into the right lane when going from the new road onto the menlo road. the sign gives the impression that the third exit is beyond 12 o clock.

still, I have seen people driving against the traffic on that roundabout.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I always went into the right lane when going from the new road onto the menlo road. the sign gives the impression that the third exit is beyond 12 o clock.

If you draw a straight line along the BNT toward the RAB (ignoring the flare left to discourage right turns), it's fairly clear that the third exit is at 1 o clock (but it's not something that's obvious coming down the hill).

RSA advice indicates that that either lane could be used in this case (emphasis added):
    Dear **name**,

While it is impossible to give a definitive rule on position to be taken at Multi Exit Roundabouts due to their actual layout, size and amount of traffic lanes if any, however as a general rule if taking any Exit between the 8.00am to 1.00pm positions, motorists should approach in the Left Hand Lane, Road Position or as dictated by Road Markings. If taking any Exit from the 1.pm to 5.pm position motorists should approach in the Right Hand Lane or Position.

Your are correct on your understanding of the procedures to be adopted at Roundabouts in your email.

Your colleagues are not correct in their understanding that they base their approach on the number of exits only and not take into account the layout of the Exits at the Roundabouts.

The above guidelines are for reference only’.

I hope this is of help.

Kind regards,
    **name**
    Road Safety Authority

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Getting back on topic, there will be a public meeting this Wednesday at 8 PM in the Menlo Park Hotel to discuss the changes to this roundabout. I have no affiliation, I just noticed the signs announcing it.

Personally I'm in two minds about whether this is a good idea or not. If it makes the Headford Road more free flowing and therefore more attractive to the drivers who are currently using Kiloughter/Menlo/Coolough as a rat run then I think its worth the extra inconvenience for those coming from Menlo/Castlelaw/Tirellan.

I haven't seen the new plans yet (anyone got a PDF or photos of the ones on display) but I would assume what they are proposing is the exact same type of junction that is in use here if you were coming from the Mervue side on to the Ballybane Road, in how it joins the main road just short of the traffic lights.

If it is, again based on my understanding of the discussions as I haven't seen them, then I don't see what the big deal is. That junction handles far more traffic than the proposed one is ever likely to handle

Getting back on topic, there will be a public meeting this Wednesday at 8 PM in the Menlo Park Hotel to discuss the changes to this roundabout. I have no affiliation, I just noticed the signs announcing it...

Who is organising this meeting? Residents, Councilors, Council, Businesses?

I haven't seen the new plans yet (anyone got a PDF or photos of the ones on display) but I would assume what they are proposing is the exact same type of junction that is in use here if you were coming from the Mervue side on to the Ballybane Road, in how it joins the main road just short of the traffic lights.

If it is, again based on my understanding of the discussions as I haven't seen them, then I don't see what the big deal is. That junction handles far more traffic than the proposed one is ever likely to handle

There are some diagrams on the galway city website:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Planning/DevelopmentPlanandPolicySection/GalwayCityDevelopmentPlan20112017/300812_05.pdf
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Planning/DevelopmentPlanandPolicySection/GalwayCityDevelopmentPlan20112017/300812_06.pdf
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Planning/DevelopmentPlanandPolicySection/GalwayCityDevelopmentPlan20112017/300812_07.pdf

There's also this diagram in the sentinel (which is clearer than the corpo diagrams)
    screenhunter_01_sep._03_21.14.jpg

cheers for that. so it is basically what I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

snubbleste wrote: »
    I only know about it from hand written notices on telephone poles in the area and they don't mention who is organising it. I would guess it's either residents, or a taxi driving FG councillor, or both.

snubbleste wrote: »

Residents
    The residents have called a public meeting for tomorrow (Wednesday) night in the Menlo Park Hotel at 8pm and have invited city councillors and officials

• Advertisement

I only know about it from hand written notices on telephone poles in the area and they don't mention who is organising it. I would guess it's either residents, or a taxi driving FG councillor, or both.

If it was a typed A4 page stuck to a pole it could be an official City Council notice. :rolleyes:

Handwritten looks like a community effort.

Advertisement