Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kirwan(Menlo Park) Roundabout Plans on public display-another slap to residents.

Options
13»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

dloob wrote: »
    Yes it seems to be an extensive survey, they are also some over in westside and around the ballybane junction.
    I think there was one on Sean Mulvoy road as well.
    City-wide traffic surveys are done every year in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Sorry to drag up an old topic but I'm just wondering, is there any news on this one?

I was hoping they would have worked it out with the residents and sandy road businesses by now and do it together with the Bodkin one but obviously it hasn't happened yet. That means it's the last hurdle before the high-tech traffic control center which was promised.

Not wanting to get into an argument here, I'm just wondering if anyone knows the status of it, it's been a long time since it was in the news (at least as far as I noticed).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Sorry to drag up an old topic but I'm just wondering, is there any news on this one?
    Actually there is.
    Hot off the presses:

https://connachttribune.ie/kirwan-roundabout-replacement-project-is-near-end-of-design-stage-022/
    Kirwan Roundabout replacement project is near end of design stage
    By Denise McNamara - July 27, 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Only 5 years later! Definitely a rush job by Irish standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I'm delighted this is happening - that roundabout is dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

ArtyC wrote: »
    I'm delighted this is happening - that roundabout is dangerous

I drive to work every morning, day after day idiots in the wrong lane go out the link road towards the tuam rd.

Drives me up the ****ing wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

That roundabout is a disaster to cycle around. If ever I am to be knocked off my bike I’m sure it’ll be on that roundabout. Cars coming on to it from Menlo rarely stop, its horrible. Good riddance to it but the lights will be a disaster too.

Worn Out wrote: »
    but the lights will be a disaster too.

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Anyone that thinks roundabouts are a better option in galway than cctv operated traffic lights hasn't a clue what's going on in galway regarding traffic.
    Roundabouts work well in 2 places , on paper and when there is a slow flow of traffic onto them.
    Get the roundabouts out and a modern cctv operated traffic light system in their place asap .

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Anyone that thinks roundabouts are a better option in galway than cctv operated traffic lights hasn't a clue what's going on in galway regarding traffic.
    Roundabouts work well in 2 places , on paper and when there is a slow flow of traffic onto them.
    Get the roundabouts out and a modern cctv operated traffic light system in their place asap .

I come from a town in the UK where there are many many roundabouts and very few traffic lights. The traffic moves very well at all times. Where there are traffic lights, often on roundabouts, they are only used at peak times and are turned off at all other times. In Galway off peak you would wonder why the lights are red, turn them to flashing amber so you proceed at caution. The problem is that there is nothing intelligent about Galway’s traffic lights or management. Also stick cameras on the traffic lights and issue penalty points to all the motorists who persistently jump the lights at speed.

I had the misfortune to have to drive across Galway for the last three weeks and am thankfully back on my bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Worn out ..... It's simple .... Galway traffic at times usually between 7.30 am and 9.30 am and 4pm and 7pm is gridlocked.
    It's got nowhere to move.
    Roundabouts are all clogged up .
    A proper cctv operated traffic lights system needs to be put in place to flush the traffic out of our city.
    Worn out are you aware that there is a set of traffic lights on the Dublin road that the sequence hasn't been changed on them in 21 years !!!!
    There are 4 sets of lights on the Dublin road of which 2 are hooked up to something of a system in city hall and 2 aren't ???
    In other words .... It's half a sytem .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Only 5 years later! Definitely a rush job by Irish standards!

5 years since the previous post - this "project" has been 8 years on the go.... ah well - will it be done for Galway2020 is the question on everybodys lips?
    It might be considered one of the flagship construction projects. Will be a nice legacy.

Is there any more detailed plan available than the ones in the papers?

I look forward to this being gone.

Advertisement