Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brown bread or White bread, what do you eat, and what does it say about you?

• 31-08-2012 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So what colour bread do you eat and what does it say about you? and I say this because for 'some people' it signifies social standing. White bread being associated with blue collar workers and Brown/Wholemeal bread with white collar professionals! and obviously thats a load of horse manure . . . or is it?

Remembering that this is a fun/tongue in cheek Friday/Weekend Thread, so take it easy and have a laugh :D

Brown bread or White bread, what say you? 163 votes

White bread (proper bread) for me every time please!
    0% 0 votes
    Brown bread for me, preferably wholemeal/wholegrain.
    11% 18 votes
    Either will do me, I don't really care as long as its bread..
    62% 102 votes
    I hate bread, so you can keep your white & your brown.
    19% 32 votes
    I make my own bread, so I can choose brown or white :-)
    6% 11 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

AH has really run its course hasn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Eating wholemeal bread suggests that you consider yourself to be health conscious, but in reality you're easily swayed by hearsay and marketing ploys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

well talk about the bottom of a barrel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Neither !! my body's a temple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I eat multigrain bread because normal brown bread and white bread are horrible!

But McCambridge bread FTW! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I avoid bread as much as i can. Might pinch some of my flatmates if i'm starvin and havent shopped. I prefer brown bread or half & half

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Eating wholemeal bread suggests that you consider yourself to be health conscious, but in reality you're easily swayed by hearsay and marketing ploys.

Or, you know, you just think its nicer than white.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Homemade brown bread for me ya cant bate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

i eat both but mostly white. i try not to eat any bread as much as possible though, only when im stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

what next semi-skimmed milk or whole milk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Soya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I selected either, because for some things, brown bread works just so much better.
    But for the most part, I would eat white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Brown, oddly enough my thighs resemble white bread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Or, you know, you just think its nicer than white.

...Or maybe one just wants to do the best one can and stay healthy by any possible additional way!

Is Pace2008 saying that eating Brown bread is unhealthy or not good as they say, when he states it is "hearsay" ???

I'd like to see some back-up on that allegation!

FearDark wrote: »

Jezez, its Friday and this is a light hearted/throw away thread, so have some fun and join in :)

Poll closes after the weekend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I try stick to brown... but I do prefer the taste of a nice crusty bit of white..

Gotta make sacrifices don't ya :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Apparently not.Considering AH consists of people disagreeing with each other this at least makes it simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Biggins wrote: »
    ...Or maybe one just wants to do the best one can and stay healthy by any possible additional way!

Is Pace2008 saying that eating Brown bread is unhealthy or not good as they say, when he states it is "hearsay" ???

I'd like to see some back-up on that allegation!
    Well, if you have the luxury of having both white and brown in your house, have a look at the labels and compare the nutritional information of the two. You'll probably find that they are very similar in terms of nutritional content, with the main difference being that brown bread contains a slightly higher amount of fibre.

There's nothing wrong with slapping up a decent sandwich every so often, if it tickles your fancy, but if you are trying to stay as healthy as possible there are plenty of better, more nutrient-dense options when it comes to carb intake.

Cant afford bread in our house :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Those unsliced "lumps" of rough brown (not soda) bread, Tortillas and Nan.
    Haven't bought a sliced pan in years.
    What that says about me? That I like rough brown, unleavened and Nan breads, and don't consider sliced pans as real bread, I guess. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Funny seeing this thread cos I had a guy at the door the other day preaching to me about the benefits of brown or white bread......feckin hovis witness

Those unsliced "lumps" of rough brown (not soda) bread, Tortillas and Nan.
    Haven't bought a sliced pan in years.
    What that says about me? That I like rough brown, unleavened and Nan breads, and don't consider sliced pans as real bread, I guess. :)

So, you like a bit of rough ? :);)

I don't eat much of either but when I do, I eat brown bread

once in a while a nice white bread ham sandwich with mayo can be nice though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Nothing wrong with having an interest in what people do. I support the bread thread!

Has to be white for a crisp samwidge. Brown or white for toast. Brown or white for a sandwich with fillings but preferably white.

I'm mad for bread me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Multigrain bread, thats what my other half buys so I just eat whatever food she buys normally but when I go to the shop myself I sometimes buy white bread just for the laugh, mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

brown seeded or sourdough for me. I buy one white sliced pan per year - thats at Christmas time. Have to have white sliced pan in at Christmas .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Wraps are the new sliced pan.... for the mo ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Well, if you have the luxury of having both white and brown in your house, have a look at the labels and compare the nutritional information of the two. You'll probably find that they are very similar in terms of nutritional content, with the main difference being that brown bread contains a slightly higher amount of fibre.

...But its that difference that many (including my doctor) that says that Brown is better for you.

I've no reason to suspect my doctor is misinformed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Always brown. Usually rougher homemade type bread rather than the sliced pan "Olje Mr Brennin" as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

White bread.

Most of all because the stuff you put on it tastes better than it would on brown bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I generally go for multigrain bread. I don't think it says anything about me other than that I like multigrain bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Brown bread. It tastes nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Anybody else notice how most sliced pans have turned into pure soggy shíte lately? I have to start buying the expensive breads now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I switched to brown and multi grain bread about three months ago and have lost near enough a stone. I get feck all exercise except walking to the bus stop or fridge.

White bread does no good for you at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

White thick "doorstep" or "big toast" type of bread for kinda unhealthy stuff:
    1. Strawberry Jam sandwiches
    2. Cheese and onion Tayto sandwiches,
    3. Nutella
    4. Runny Fried Egg with ketchup.

Nutty and Seedy type brown loaves for ALL other sandwiches and for toast.

The McCambridge soda bread sliced pack is nice with soup and also with jam.

Brown Batch bread is nice with a fry up.

I love speciality breads like Bananna breads or Cherry bread, or freshly baked ones with lots of toasted pumpkin and sesame seeds but I wouldn't have these types of bread very often. I only eat bread about once a week now.

(I voted for brown as that is what I would eat most)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

kylith wrote: »
    I generally go for multigrain bread. I don't think it says anything about me other than that I like multigrain bread.

It also says "I have very regular bowel movements":cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Definitely Brown bread.

Also, the standard of bread in Ireland is appaling.

All that pre-packaged Brennan's/Irish Pride etc is just awful quality and full of preservatives , ever wonder how Brennan's stay's soft for nearly a week?

Only buy fresh Superquinn or Lidl bread.

Don't understand why there are so few bakeries in Ireland though when they are on every corner in Europe.

Only six whites so far :eek:

I reckon it would have been about 99% white only twenty years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

LordSutch wrote: »
    it would have been about 99% white only twenty years ago.
    Immigration innit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

White Brennans bread and that's it! Anything else is muck :p Although I do like a bit of McCambridges brown bread occasionally but only when it's toasted with loads of butter :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

I like some white breads, but out of guilt I have brown bread if given a choice

Muckit wrote: »
    Wraps are the new sliced pan.... for the mo ;)

Always wondered what's meant by a sliced pan? Yes I know that it probably refers to the fact that its sliced & that its bread baked on a pan, but then isnt all bread baked on a pan in an oven? hence all bread is pan bread? or am I missing something here?

The term Pan (meaning loaf) certainly doesnt travel, thats for sure :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Crappy Tesco white sliced pan, seeing as I only ever really eat bread when having a classic tayto sandwich. It's your only man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

As long as it's decent bread I don't care what colour it is. I thought we'd gotten past all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Coincidental I would see this thread just as I'm tucking into a Kingsmill 50/50 ham and cheese sandwich.

I find brown bread completely indigestible, especially since my mother practically raised us on that dry as sawdust soda bread, however we'd also have had a sliced white pan on the table too.

Nowadays my wife is fearfully health conscious so she's all that McCambridge soda bread and insistence on brown sliced pan, low fat milk that tastes more like water, and low low oil based "spread" (at least they acknowledge that its not even related to actual butter!) that tastes pure greasy!

Health is your wealth my bollix! Bland, tasteless food- just means you stay miserable for longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sky is the limit

I am off all bread only in the last few days, I tell ya what I feel a lot healthier without it, also gave up all pasta rice and potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I am off all bread only in the last few days, I tell ya what I feel a lot healthier without it, also gave up all pasta rice and potatoes.
    What's wrong with rice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I eat multigrain bread because normal brown bread and white bread are horrible!

But McCambridge bread FTW! :D

Manky stuff. Compressed mud and oats with rabbit and rat droppings mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sky is the limit

What's wrong with rice?

Ah its the Paleo diet mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I really like brown multi seed. I bake my own brown when I have the time-regular, soda, multiseed, and a lovely parsnip and thyme (if I do say so :)).
    If I don't have the time or inclination to make my own I look for the best quality brown I can find, either artisan or local shop. If I can't do that then Life Fibre from the supermarket is what I'd have for sandwiches.
    Artisan costs more of course but I think it's well worth it for such a staple food item.

If I eat white bread I like long fermented sourdough. I'm not a fan of the Chorleywood processing method that produces the nutritionally poor white sliced pans produced by the likes of Brennans or Irish Pride. I find them tasteless and indigestible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement