Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How you gonna blow your Ulster Bank compensation wedge ?

• 31-08-2012 10:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

For those who haven't heard Ulster Banks standard compensation package is to be €25 per customer.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0831/600-000-ulster-bank-customers-to-get-restitution-business.html
    A one-off payment of €25 will be paid to those that Ulster Bank record as having visited their branch more frequently during the crisis than immediately before the crisis.

That's right, I've now got 25 big ones throw about like the good old days, it's like 2006 all over again.
    My mind's a blank, how should I reward myself with these new found riches.
    14 litres of petrol, a ticket & popcorn to a 3D movie, a case of Miller from my local Centra.
    They sure know how to treat a guy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I'm going to invest it in another bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

take it out in penny and swim in the penny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

A bulk box of condoms, so at least the next time they f*ck me it'll be safe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I did not visit my branch more frequently than before, yet I was affected by this. I do not get this compensation. :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not saying you shouldn't get more but they're also raising your interest rate on savings accounts and freezing fees for all of 2013 are they not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'll probably not see the €25, as I never went to the branch. But the simple fact that I won't have to apy account fees until at least July 2013 is savings enough, thank you very much. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Not saying you shouldn't get more but they're also raising your interest rate on savings accounts and freezing fees for all of 2013 are they not?

It's like Christmas, Easter & your birthday all rolled into one.
    We've had the Budget Travel brochures out all morning due to this huge generosity.
    I now know what a lotto winner feels like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    My mind's a blank

We know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

see now i always go to my branch once a month and because of this i had to go twice :eek: so am i gonna be rich.

I think the whole having visited their branch more frequently bit is a huge cop out on their part. a lot if not all customers were effected by failed direct debts and standing orders etc but didnt have to go to their branch more than usual. yes they all got processed eventually but it still caused no end of stress for them.

It's like Christmas, Easter & your birthday all rolled into one.
    We've had the Budget Travel brochures out all morning due to this huge generosity.
    I now know what a lotto winner feels like.

I know. You must be overwhelmed.

I was just pointing out the extra stuff you're getting, y'know - since you neglected to mention the further generosity.

• Advertisement

Since I avoided the branch, I don't even get 25.
    I wasn't bothering complaining yet but I reckon I will now

bluewolf wrote: »
    Since I avoided the branch, I don't even get 25.
    I wasn't bothering complaining yet but I reckon I will now

same as yourself, instead i borrowed cash from family but i'm putting in teh claim anyway coz of teh stress of worrying about direct debits being paid on time, the embarrasement of going with a begging bowl to my family at my age and the extra embarrasement of my card being declined in store on one occasion

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'll probably not see the €25, as I never went to the branch. But the simple fact that I won't have to apy account fees until at least July 2013 is savings enough, thank you very much. :D

This ^^^

i went to the branch a few times but tbh it wasnt really any stress but i am more than happy to take the higher interest rates :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I know. You must be overwhelmed.

I was just pointing out the extra stuff you're getting, y'know - since you neglected to mention the further generosity.

Extra interest on Savings, was it .25% over 3 months, my small rainy day fund is still small.
    So I've 10k @ 4%, I make €400 on that.
    Plus .25% over a quarter of a year = €25/4 = €6.25 :confused:
    That can't be right surely.
    So I've now enough for a bottle of wine to go with my bottles of Miller.

They had mooted ending free banking before this all kicked off.
    What do most people pay in charges for a year, €100 at a guess.
    So the big saving is here.

They had mooted ending free banking before this all kicked off.
    What do most people pay in charges for a year, €100 at a guess.
    So the big saving is here.

Handy I pointed it out then isn't it?

If that's actually happening. If not I just got your hopes up for nothing. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I was away so it didn't affect me. I would like 25 euro though....please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

€25!!

That's hilarious; we had to go and borrow money from my folks to pay a guy who has a mortgage and two kids, had a very pissed off feed supplier who I'm pretty sure still thinks we were messing him about; for about 2 weeks money would leave our business a/c and enter the ether, nobody was paid in the normal way.

It's not the first time there was trouble with UB; there have been a few previous glitches. That's fine, but you have to be honest with your customers about what the glitch is and how long it's going to take to be resolved. After a fortnight of delays and changing stories, we had to change banks. You have to trust your financial institution and they just weren't co-operating.

I'm not even interested in seeing them get a massive fine tbh, because it's only going to be the customers who end up paying for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

No compensation for me :(
    Like others, I got cash from other sources and had some cash already for our staycation, as well as credit card.
    25 is an insult though. Give it to charity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Laughable stuff. So if I had been down to my local UB branch to complain about my account and generally whinge and moan I'd get 25 quid. What I actually did was check my accounts online multiple times per day, curtail spending and give them time to sort out the issues (eg duplicate transactions) that I had. I did them a favour yet I get nothing.

They should give this 25 euro automatically to every customer. I can't be arsed complaining about not getting it but it leaves a bitter taste. UB may well lose out on tens or hundreds of thousands of euros in deposits because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Incredibly stingy, apart from the fact that €25 is fvck all, they have the cheek to say some people weren't affected.

Shower of bankers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I was in New York for a month when this all happened so I couldn't go to a branch (obviously).

Was seriously fecked over. My holiday pay didn't go in and I was looking at my balance slowly dwindling. Days went by and I didn't recieve and email or phone call. It was only when a friend checked up on RTE.ie that I found out something was up. :mad:

I've enjoyed being an Ulster Bank customer. They do have good customer service overall, plenty of branches and the girls behind the counter are at least 8/10s.

If I don't get my fecken twenty five euro I'm gonna **** in a fast lodgement envelope :mad:

Dean0088 wrote: »
    the girls behind the counter are at least 8/10s.
    not in my branch theyre not :mad:

maybe they should look here http://www.americanbanker.com/bankthink/how-to-make-customers-love-your-bank-1052249-1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Well what they have incentivised their customers to do, is to come into the branch and complain....multiple times if possible, in the event of any issues in the future. Very poor imo.

If you remained level-headed and decided not to cause UB any more fuss, and to sort yourself out for the duration of the outage you get nothing.

A good way to lose some of your best customers I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I am changing my name to "Ulsterbank are complete ****" and insisting they change the name of my account to match my new name.

I can't wait for my new cheque book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Now this is marketing (not from/by me - saw it elsewhere):

Follow
    The Grafton Lounge‏@graftonlounge
    Hey Ulster Bank customers spend your €25 in @graftonlounge and we'll give you €50 worth of food or drink. Must show Ulster Bank card #TeamGL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I would more of them.

I had to borrow money as my wages for 3 weeks and had to get 5 taxi's to branches.

25 quid. lol

A joke it must be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

That's such stupid logic. Like some of you I didn't go near the bank, didn't see the point in giving out to the people behind the counter. I just borrowed off family and friends and waited, I tried not to make as many transactions through my account so there would be less to keep track of, just my weekly standing orders, and less work for them.

And for being considerate I'm shoved aside...such a joke. I'm not bothered about the €25, but it's the principle :mad:

Advertisement