Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River fishing in Athlone

Options
  • 31-08-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Does anybody know if it is ok to fish Lough Ree in Athlone town? I will be up there most weekends starting in September and was thinking about doing a spot of feeder fishing during the day. Has anybody got any advice on where to go in the town itself or what I should be doing?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

regular on lough ree myself mostly trout fishing, if you want to fish the river there is "the meadows" just down from the weir on the west side, its a long clean stretch easy to fish, but the high water may make it tricky at the moment i havent been down there recently, used to bring the kids down there the last few yrs, small perch and roach etc, the fishing has been very poor there although it was a real hot spot from bream(featured on matt hayes mainstream some yrs ago) yrs ago, but its been cleaned out by lets say "out of towners"...... i started a bit of coarse fishing on it last yr myself, but the water levels have been too high most of this yr and havent taken the coarse rod out at all this yr!!!
    there is a short stretch on the burgess park side of the river too you could try, caught lots of small fish there too, but no biggies,

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

also just to mention if you travel up river from the town bridge there are several platforms etc on both sides of the river, though mainly on the west side, you'll see for yourself when you get there, best of luck with it and let us know how you get on,

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

bayliner wrote: »
    regular on lough ree myself mostly trout fishing, if you want to fish the river there is "the meadows" just down from the weir on the west side, its a long clean stretch easy to fish, but the high water may make it tricky at the moment i havent been down there recently, used to bring the kids down there the last few yrs, small perch and roach etc, the fishing has been very poor there although it was a real hot spot from bream(featured on matt hayes mainstream some yrs ago) yrs ago, but its been cleaned out by lets say "out of towners"...... i started a bit of coarse fishing on it last yr myself, but the water levels have been too high most of this yr and havent taken the coarse rod out at all this yr!!!
    there is a short stretch on the burgess park side of the river too you could try, caught lots of small fish there too, but no biggies,

Hey Bayliner,

Thanks for the reply. I would loveto catch a Bream or two but I am not after anything major. Just for the sport really. I usually just use a feeder with some groundbait and a few maggots. I will be up before end of this month and I might pop down to Burgess park and have a look. Wansboro Park looks good also. I will let you know how I get on!

Advertisement