Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Home BB question

• 31-08-2012 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

ok so im living in county limerick and im with one of these "unknown" ISP's

i started the contract in may and myself and the girlfriend have decided to move. ive rang the guy to see what the story is with ending the contrct but he is saying that he hasnt even nearly recouped his cash from providing us with the service.

the thing is i was never given a copy of this contract so i cant dispute how long is "left on the contract".

we are moving to the city so obviousy even if he could provide a service we would be crazy to keep it.

we are currently paying €30 p/m for 2mb

he wants €120 as a termination fee

now im not sure if this is correct or not. the guy seems really nice so id feel bad about cancelling anyway but needs must.

soo just wondering a few things

does this sound like a fair termination fee???
    how long would a standard contract be??
    is he obliged to offer us service at our new address???

obviously if a standard contract is 6 months and we are about to pay for the 5th month then it would make sense to either get the service moved in to our new address(if this is something he would have to do) or leave the contract run out(only costing us €60 as oppose to €120)

any advice would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Icky Thump wrote: »
    ok so im living in county limerick and im with one of these "unknown" ISP's

i started the contract in may and myself and the girlfriend have decided to move. ive rang the guy to see what the story is with ending the contrct but he is saying that he hasnt even nearly recouped his cash from providing us with the service.

the thing is i was never given a copy of this contract so i cant dispute how long is "left on the contract".

we are moving to the city so obviousy even if he could provide a service we would be crazy to keep it.

we are currently paying €30 p/m for 2mb

he wants €120 as a termination fee

now im not sure if this is correct or not. the guy seems really nice so id feel bad about cancelling anyway but needs must.

soo just wondering a few things

does this sound like a fair termination fee???
    how long would a standard contract be??
    is he obliged to offer us service at our new address???

obviously if a standard contract is 6 months and we are about to pay for the 5th month then it would make sense to either get the service moved in to our new address(if this is something he would have to do) or leave the contract run out(only costing us €60 as oppose to €120)

any advice would be appreciated thanks

Well 2 things assuming you do have a binding contract for the standard 12 months. If you move and he can provide service at your new location then I'd say you're still bound by the contract. If he cannot provide coverage in that area then you should be able to get out of contract without a penalty. Actually I'm not 100% sure about this bit in bold. You may have to buy out your contract even if they cant provide coverage in your new area.

The termination fee is whatever's in your contract but it could be as high as buying the full contract out how ever many months are left on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

yea i think my biggest problem is i dont have a copy of the contract so i cant check it. i can ask him how long the contract is but i dont think he'll take it as a friendly gesture me questioning the contract and termination fee. it could make him look for the full cost of remaining contract.

i know with UPC depending on who you talk to of course, you get out of the contract without fee if they cant provide the service. but i dont know if that is a legal thing or a thing that big companies can afford and little companies cant

Advertisement